Sorry to Say: The Tank Was A Swing And A Miss

Swedesessed

Quebec tanked for Lindros as well.  Mid November and Toronto and Quebec were racing to the bottom.  Problem was, toronto didn't own their 1st round pick.  They traded it to NJD.  Mid November Quebec traded several good players to Toronto (who wasn't tanking because they didn't have a pick) to help Toronto save face and not finish last.  Quebec's haul for trading several good NHL'ers to Toronto?  A journeyman LW and a couple 2nd round picks.  Sound familiar?  Quebec got their man, but he wouldn't sign with them.

Karma, man.  It will get you every time.

If tanks is bad then what the hell did we do to deserve what happened in '99 or Drury/Briere or any of that  I honestly just don't see tanking as morally wrong hence no reason for there to be bad karma involved with it.

If tanks is bad then what the hell did we do to deserve what happened in '99 or Drury/Briere or any of that I honestly just don't see tanking as morally wrong hence no reason for there to be bad karma involved with it.

Tanking isn't wrong it's an aggressive form of rebuilding. Talking about it as if it's the moral equivalent of cheating or throwing a game is a bit dramatic and illogical IMO.

What about when the Penguins won with Mario?

I am not convinced they tanked to get him.

They did not win the cup because of Mario.  What did it was the trade with Hartford.  Mario was injured at least parts of both those cup wins.  They would not have won in 1991 had it not been for their backup goalie standing on his head and stealing at least one game (a must win game) against NJ.

They did not win the cup because of Mario. What did it was the trade with Hartford. Mario was injured at least parts of both those cup wins. They would not have won in 1991 had it not been for their backup goalie standing on his head and stealing at least one game (a must win game) against NJ.

And I'm the one wearing the tinfoil hat? Not only did they tank, that was THE tank that started it all. How can you complain about the Sabres tank and say that Pitt didn't invent it in 83-84.

I even saw a special on it on NHL Network with former members of the organization talking about it. They wouldn't admit it, but they were coy about it. It's NHL history it's not even debatable.

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

NS, the Pens most definitely tanked for Mario.  They traded one of their few good players, Randy Carlyle, for no current roster players.  Near the end of the season they put the goalie that strung a couple wins together down in the AHL and recalled a meathead that had a 6.00 GAA to "see what he could do".  They tanked hard.  Gave GMTM some great looks at how to do it.

They did not win the cup because of Mario.  What did it was the trade with Hartford.  Mario was injured at least parts of both those cup wins.  They would not have won in 1991 had it not been for their backup goalie standing on his head and stealing at least one game (a must win game) against NJ.

The Pens & Devils were RACING to the bottom. They were calling up AHLers that weren't really good enough in the AHL to play in the NHL to try to outdo the other. That was the tanking of ALL tanking. The reward was HUGE. 199 point Lemieux or 94 point Muller.

The Eichel tank was subtle by comparison.

Lemieux was easily as coveted as McClavicle was. The fact he couldn't win a Stanley Cup on his own only highlights once again why hockey is better than bounceyball. ;)

Man, talk about alternative facts. You sound like a Pittsburgh fan, although to be fair to them, I bet most of their fans admit it was a tank.

Edited by Drunkard

Man, talk about alternative facts. You sound like a Pittsburgh fan, although to be fair to them, I bet most of their fans admit it was a tank.

Um, no.

Their whole storied franchise is based off of tanking and winning the lottery, but to them it's all about being really good at drafting.

Edited by Woods-Racer

Oh, you guys ........

:wub:

:angel:

:ph34r:

We still love you, man, but that doesn't change the fact that Pittsburgh was the tankiest tank that ever did tank, and their reward for it was multiple Cups.

Edited by Drunkard

We still love you, man, but that doesn't change the fact that Pittsburgh was the tankiest tank that ever did tank, and their reward for it was multiple Cups.

Figures.  We couldn't even tank right, compared with other teams.   lol

Y'know, when I watch Hall, he kinda looks like a star, but is he really?  In 6 NHL seasons, he's never exceeded 27 goals.  Last season, as NJ's top gun, he produced 20-33-53.  Those of course are good numbers, but elite? 

And of course it can't be ignored that he didn't disrupt Edmonton's chronic suckitude one iota -- whereas McD, who is unquestionably elite, immediately muscled them into relevance.

The broader point is that there are very few players that can make that kind of difference -- and thus it's almost always not worth tanking for a high draft pick -- especially when the lottery gives you only a very small chance of getting that guy even when there is one. 

Hall is good; I bet he'd look a lot better on a decent team. He hasn't played on a team with more than 70 (!) points for the 5 seasons he's been in the NHL.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.