2017 Free Agent Frenzy

WildCard

It was said and confirmed on NHL Network. Why would you hope that isn't true?

Because a 7 year deal would be ludicrous for a player his age and talent. Give him him that was he's 23, not 28. It'll only be downhill for him from here. Why would we strap ourselves with a contract that long that'll be obsolete in 3 years? I can't think of a team that didn't regret handing out an expensive, long term contract to someone his age.

Because a 7 year deal would be ludicrous for a player his age and talent. Give him him that was he's 23, not 28. It'll only be downhill for him from here. Why would we strap ourselves with a contract that long that'll be obsolete in 3 years? I can't think of a team that didn't regret handing out an expensive, long term contract to someone his age.

I think you're being dramatic, guys are playing at a high level into their late 30's hell Jagr is pretty damn good at 45. He would have made our team much better for many years. To say he will go immediately downhill because he's 31 years old, you don't know much about the game if you think that's true.

I think you're being dramatic, guys are playing at a high level into their late 30's hell Jagr is pretty damn good at 45. He would have made our team much better for many years. To say he will go immediately downhill because he's 31 years old, you don't know much about the game if you think that's true.

It definitely possible I'm being dramatic, or don't know much about the game, but I'm the one JBott agrees with. He said he never offered a 7 year contract.

Did you say this when we signed Kyle Okposo becuase they gave him a 7 year deal when he was 28.

Did you say this when we signed Kyle Okposo becuase they gave him a 7 year deal when he was 28.

Yep. Another contract that's too long, especially considering what we experienced with Matty Mo and the contracts GMTM wantonly gave out. It's likely going to come back and bite us later. Edited by kas23

New GM JBot, free agents, season, etc. So I finally got around to the cantina scene Ebriate as discussed during some game thread sometime.

So far I'm liking the offseason. Nothing too splashy. Lots of speed. Got the defense mostly patched up and didn't kill the cap to do so.

Good emphasis on Rochester for July 1st.

I've seen this said a lot over the past couple days. Shattenkirk is an excellent offensive player with a big impact on the transition game. In no way is he just a power play guy.

I'm not impressed with his game outside PP for the money. Glad we didn't get into long and expensive deal for him.

I was reading what some Devils fans had to say about him. He's a Grant/D-Lo level even strength scorer, but his shot suppression is apparently legit. Much moreso than a D-Lo/Grant. And he's apparently a shootout stud somehow. Reasonable PKer. 

I'm not sure if that puts him here or in Rochester. We'll probably all hate him

There will definitely be another lockout in 2022.  Amnesty buyouts will be returning once it's resolved.  I'd be willing to be every front office is well aware of this. 

There will definitely be another lockout in 2022. Amnesty buyouts will be returning once it's resolved. I'd be willing to be every front office is well aware of this.

Something has to give because there doesn't seem to be much discipline amongst GMs. It's everyday we hear about this team or that team trying to dump a "bad contract". It's a recurring theme in the NHL these days. Every team has horrible contracts they're trying to deal with. There's no doubt, most of these contracts were seen as a good thing when they were signed, but you are taking a huge risk giving out anything more than a 5 year contract. This risk increases with increasing player age.

The GM's sign these players to terrible contracts (see: Moulson Bogo) then bitch about them. They simply cannot restrain themselves. In other news, what's up with Montreal and Toronto thinking that signing old, slow defensemen is the way to go? I am not complaining cause the Habs basically gave us Beaulieu who is young, fast, and has tons of upside, but really? Alzner and Benn? The Leafs sign 37 year old hainsey who looked great on Pittsburg where even Ruhwedel looked pretty good.

The GM's sign these players to terrible contracts (see: Moulson Bogo) then bitch about them. They simply cannot restrain themselves. In other news, what's up with Montreal and Toronto thinking that signing old, slow defensemen is the way to go? I am not complaining cause the Habs basically gave us Beaulieu who is young, fast, and has tons of upside, but really? Alzner and Benn? The Leafs sign 37 year old hainsey who looked great on Pittsburg where even Ruhwedel looked pretty good.

i love the Hainsey signing...for the Sabres!

Patrick Marleau to Toronto.....

Get this: 3 yrs, 6.25 as, full NMC

Wow. I've seen quite a bit of Sharks games this past season. He's seriously declining

The Leads moving JVR for D and going for it now?

He still scored 27 goals.

I actually don't hate this, I think it is a high amount and Marleau will decline, but he hasn't missed a game in ages. Plus the Leafs dont have that many bad contracts on their books at the moment, so they have the space to do it.

Only way it hurts them is that third year when they need to sign the kids - but basically no team has been by the cap, so I'm sure they'll get around it

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.