who to trade??? Sam or Evander

Sabre fan

I do think the team needs to try and make a splash and acquire a top d-man through a trade and while I know everyone is talking of trading Kane, I think I may be inclined to trade Sam if there is a market for him (not too sure if there is one to be honest). Kane is a great power-forward and I love his scoring touch...Sam meanwhile seems slow and weak and just not sold on him. Maybe I am wrong but...

Sam has a better market do to his youth and no off ice incidents

Sam didn't impress me this year, and Kane although a pain was still one of our top scorers.. SO I think Sam could be traded for the top D man we need to acquire

Edited by ddaryl

I'm in the trade Sam if you aren't going to use him at centre camp.

The only proposed deal I've seen (fan-proposed, not reported rumour) that makes some sense for both teams is Reinhart for Hanifan.

I'd hate it, but I'd understand it.

The only proposed deal I've seen (fan-proposed, not reported rumour) that makes some sense for both teams is Reinhart for Hanifan.

Right. I don't want to trade Sam, but I'm trying to figure out where he slots on this team going forward if we already have Eichel and ROR in the top two slots. Is Sam really going to play 3rd line C here?

I'm slowly moving into this camp.  He's not untouchable for me if he can significantly upgrade our D.

Who says he won't be used at center next season?

Before you trade Sam, you would have to sign Kane to an extension.

Trading Kane you'd probably have to add to the package to get someone to take on the antics.

Trading Sam, you could possibly add Bogosian or another salary to balance out taking on someone else's salary. 

I'm not sure why anyone who has watched Samson actually struggle on the boards, not directly control the action with his play, be defensively irresponsible and not add speed to the mix would even think about playing him over ROR and Eichel on your first 2 lines at center.  

Who says he won't be used at center next season?

He should be. That is my preferred course of action. The Sabres have shown little interest so far in making that happen.

I blame Bylsma and hope I am right.

And to answer the thread question. In a vacuum, I'd much rather keep Sam.

That said, I only trade either of them if there is a top defenseman coming back.

Before you trade Sam, you would have to sign Kane to an extension.

Trading Kane you'd probably have to add to the package to get someone to take on the antics.

Trading Sam, you could possibly add Bogosian or another salary to balance out taking on someone else's salary. 

I'm not sure why anyone who has watched Samson actually struggle on the boards, not directly control the action with his play, be defensively irresponsible and not add speed to the mix would even think about playing him over ROR and Eichel on your first 2 lines at center.

I've never understood why your "third line centre" can't be one of your five best players and still get 15-18 minutes a game. Briere, Drury, Connolly seemed to work pretty well.

I'm not sure where this "defensive irresponsibility" is coming from. His positioning is usually excellent. His skill set isn't a burner, or a board demon, he's distributor and a decision-maker. Exactly why he should be a centre not a winger.

I think that "not directly control the action" is very astute. That's because the role he is being asked to play is to complement Jack.

He should be the hub of his line, not the sidekick. Anyone who watched him prior to the NHL would say the same.

The handling of Sam Reinhart this year is the most grievous action the hockey department has made.

It's not too late to get the player we drafted, but time is running out.

Thank you

He's younger than Kane, better than Kane, and he's locked here long term. Kane isn't even going to resign here next offseason

So? The point is that Reinhart should be playing center, not wing. And that he's being wasted if he's not playing center. So regardless of his talent, if he doesn't have a place on the team then why not trade him?

Thank you

He's younger than Kane, better than Kane, and he's locked here long term. Kane isn't even going to resign here next offseason

This is all true.  But I think you also have to consider the return.  If we're trading Reinhart for a Hanifan type > Kane for a Pysyk type

So? The point is that Reinhart should be playing center, not wing. And that he's being wasted if he's not playing center. So regardless of his talent, if he doesn't have a place on the team then why not trade him?

Because I'm not going to trade a Thornton away to keep a coach who won't make it past next year. Kane and Byslma have expiration dates

This is all true. But I think you also have to consider the return. If we're trading Reinhart for a Hanifan type > Kane for a Pysyk type

Add this year's first then. Reinhart is developed and, young, cost controlled, and will eventually replace RoR as the #2 center anyways. Trading him would be a huge mistake IMO

In the cold light of day, Samson brings more back and is easier to replace with what we have if what comes back is a D.

I'd like to keep both in a perfect world though, provided whoever is coaching this team (please please please not Disco) has the brilliant idea to play Samson at center.

In the cold light of day, Samson brings more back and is easier to replace with what we have if what comes back is a D.

I'd like to keep both in a perfect world though, provided whoever is coaching this team (please please please not Disco) has the brilliant idea to play Samson at center.

Reinhart is easier to replace than Kane? How? Tank 3.0?

He should be. That is my preferred course of action. The Sabres have shown little interest so far in making that happen.

I blame Bylsma and hope I am right.

And to answer the thread question. In a vacuum, I'd much rather keep Sam.

That said, I only trade either of them if there is a top defenseman coming back.

I've never understood why your "third line centre" can't be one of your five best players and still get 15-18 minutes a game. Briere, Drury, Connolly seemed to work pretty well.

I'm not sure where this "defensive irresponsibility" is coming from. His positioning is usually excellent. His skill set isn't a burner, or a board demon, he's distributor and a decision-maker. Exactly why he should be a centre not a winger.

I think that "not directly control the action" is very astute. That's because the role he is being asked to play is to complement Jack.

He should be the hub of his line, not the sidekick. Anyone who watched him prior to the NHL would say the same.

The handling of Sam Reinhart this year is the most grievous action the hockey department has made.

It's not too late to get the player we drafted, but time is running out.

You, I like you.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.