Who is the Worst Member of the Buffalo Media?

WildCard

Pick Your Worst  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the Worst?

• Paul Hamilton
    • Mike Harrington
    • Schopp
    • Bulldog
    • Jerry Sullivan
    • Bucky

Worst how? Doesn't gobble your team's knob enough is how I'm defining it for you. I'm fine with all of them. You mean sports media, right? And independent media, not team-related?

Harrington is just a troll. It isn't even just Buffalo sports stuff either. During last year's Steelers @ Bills matchup, MH tweeted that he couldn't possibly vote for Roethlisberger to be in the HOF because of games like the one he was having that day. Like, come on.

That said, I think it's John Murphy. That's even spotting him the fact that he's a team propagandist. He's just not good.

My thing with a lot of them too is, provide something to back up your opinion. You want to believe it's not Bylsma? Prove it instead of ranting on and on and on on twitter about the defense and the same crap over and over again. You want to prove something about Watkins? Or the Bills? Back it up. It's really not that hard to do

And if you do make that claim, and you or someone else does some research and disproves you, own it. Then, pursue that path of conversation for a better experience for your fans and followers instead of calling them all morons because you've been here since Nixon and maybe were a 4th line player on a crap team at some point.

I think the bozo who prompted the new thread is worthy of the designation.

I'll readily admit to running afoul of PA's oft repeated objection with Harrington: I have not read anything he has written in years. But I'd had enough. I signed off. I blocked him on Twitter. I never read anything he's written, once I see him on the byline. He readily makes my list of "Top 5 dudes who need a square punch in the face."

That said, Bucky also deserves consideration owing to his hack's writing style.

A legitimate dark horse could be Tim Graham. He probably does not come close to taking the title because the dude can write, and write well. And he researches like a mofo.

That said, his tendency to indulge in condescension and smugness puts him in the conversation.

Paul Hamilton.

Too vanilla and milk toast for my taste.

I know there are many worthy candidates, but, I'll take a flame thrower over someone that rarely says anything I don't already know and when he expresses an opinion, I usually don't agree with it.  For all his access, I expect more.

Edited by Georgia Blizzard

Jerry Sullivan and Bucky Gleason are the reigning kings of d-baggery in Buffalo media.

That said, I think it's John Murphy. That's even spotting him the fact that he's a team propagandist. He's just not good.

You're right he isn't that good. Surprised he's climbed the ladder so high despite that fact. But Buffalo is a place where inertia is rewarded. See: Schopp & Bulldog. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Jerry Sullivan and Bucky Gleason are the raining kings of d-baggery in Buffalo media.

You're right he isn't that good. Surprised he's climbed the ladder so high despite that fact. But Buffalo is a place where inertia is rewarded. See: Schopp & Bulldog.

I'm voting for Mike Harrington and it's an easy vote because I haven't paid any attention to guys like Sullivan or Gleason in a decade (at least).

I follow Harrington on Twitter because he is (purportedly) the Sabres beat reporter for TBN but his feed is mainly attacks on the fans (for wanting Bylsma gone lately but it could be about anything), complaints about Lauren Hall (who he subtweets every home game), and a daily subtweet attack on the WGR morning show guys because they supported the Tank to get Eichel.  

Imagine having your feelings hurt so badly during the pro/anti Tank debate that you still feel the need to attack people about it every day two years later -- while still not having the guts to tag them on Twitter so that they could actually respond.  

Also, imagine the Sabres have their most exciting player since Hasek but you can't enjoy watching him play because Jeremy White said something mean to you two years ago.

I'd unfollow but there's definitely a car wreck quality to seeing Harrington air out his emotional problems on Twitter every day.  Plus if Paul Hamilton tweets some breaking news about the team and I miss it, at least I know Harrington might get to it an hour later for me.

Edited by Robviously

Jerry Sullivan and Bucky Gleason are the raining kings of d-baggery in Buffalo media.

You're right he isn't that good. Surprised he's climbed the ladder so high despite that fact. But Buffalo is a place where inertia is rewarded. See: Schopp & Bulldog.

Amen

John was a fantastic analyst back in the day. His play by play is OK, but following Van is (still) a tough gig, as Dunleavy is finding out about "following" Rick. And what the hell has John had to work with, really?

I think the bozo who prompted the new thread is worthy of the designation.

I'll readily admit to running afoul of PA's oft repeated objection with Harrington: I have not read anything he has written in years. But I'd had enough. I signed off. I blocked him on Twitter. I never read anything he's written, once I see him on the byline. He readily makes my list of "Top 5 dudes who need a square punch in the face."

That said, Bucky also deserves consideration owing to his hack's writing style.

A legitimate dark horse could be Tim Graham. He probably does not come close to taking the title because the dude can write, and write well. And he researches like a mofo.

That said, his tendency to indulge in condescension and smugness puts him in the conversation.

Your continuing call for physical violence against the guy is a bit unsettling. It's only sports.

I find it interesting that 99% of the beef against Mike is Twitter stuff. I've never read a Tweet of his (well, probably a few in passing, accidentally). I know what Twitter is for the news media.

Who hates his game stories? I find them very sharp, straightforward and interesting. I'll always like Mike for his elbows. He got OSP to admit he owned the team just to break even, and he spoke truth to power (Ted Black) about Pegula's absence from not only a season-ending presser, but the presser when Lindy got canned.

If anybody has stored a ton of inertia, it's Murph :lol:

In defense of no particular writer, I often think the following.

It must be terribly difficult to write 200 articles a year on two major league teams stuck in neutral without drilling the same wells over and over. This, in turn, can appear as narrative, repetitive, ax-grinding, agenda pushing.

Imagine the situation if any one of those mentioned wrote but once a month. Insight! Clever! Thought provoking!

Buffalo sports is Groundhog Day, and every news cycle has a deadline. My kid needs shoes.

Column inches ... Dan's lost the room!

Worst how? Doesn't gobble your team's knob enough is how I'm defining it for you. I'm fine with all of them.

What is the point of this?  Just to be obnoxious?  Do you really think he meant "worst" = "not enough of a fanboy?"  Do you really think that he and others who criticize media members don't have other, reasonable criticisms in mind?  If not, why say it this way?

This essentially added zero value -- much like most of Harrington's and Bucky's output. 

And acting like a d-bag in a presser isn't "speaking truth to power."  It's just acting like a d-bag.  There are plenty of ways to assert journalistic independence and ask tough questions without throwing a temper tantrum (Harrington) or posing questions in an insulting way (Bucky).

How vapid and condescending.

Beat me to it.

I think Schopp and the Bulldog are pretty good, Howard Simon is pretty mediocre and Jeremy White is pretty knowledgeable but also pretty grating.

John was a fantastic analyst back in the day. His play by play is OK, but following Van is (still) a tough gig, as Dunleavy is finding out about "following" Rick. And what the hell has John had to work with, really?

Your continuing call for physical violence against the guy is a bit unsettling. It's only sports.

I find it interesting that 99% of the beef against Mike is Twitter stuff. I've never read a Tweet of his (well, probably a few in passing, accidentally). I know what Twitter is for the news media.

Who hates his game stories? I find them very sharp, straightforward and interesting. I'll always like Mike for his elbows. He got OSP to admit he owned the team just to break even, and he spoke truth to power (Ted Black) about Pegula's absence from not only a season-ending presser, but the presser when Lindy got canned.

Agreed on Murph. He's been promoted beyond his skill set -- but he's a good dude, smart guy.

As for calls for violence against the chinless derp: It's always a metaphor, for me. Didn't we run through the metaphysics of this with someone else a while back?

Interesting take on Twitter's role in this. That warrants further reflection on my part. That may be the root of all disaffection for me, with him.

I agree with a lot of the sentiment on Murphy, even if I think he's a hell of a nice guy.  He just cannot bring himself to criticize the team in any manner, and that's not good.

Harrington doesn't bother me one bit, even if I completely disagree with him on Bylsma.  

You all know my opinions on B&S.

I'm voting for Mike Harrington and it's an easy vote because I haven't paid any attention to guys like Sullivan or Gleason in a decade (at least).

I follow Harrington on Twitter because he is (purportedly) the Sabres beat reporter for TBN but his feed is mainly attacks on the fans (for wanting Bylsma gone lately but it could be about anything), complaints about Lauren Hall (who he subtweets every home game), and a daily subtweet attack on the WGR morning show guys because they supported the Tank to get Eichel.

Imagine having your feelings hurt so badly during the pro/anti Tank debate that you still feel the need to attack people about it every day two years later -- while still not having the guts to tag them on Twitter so that they could actually respond.

Also, imagine the Sabres have their most exciting player since Hasek but you can't enjoy watching him play because Jeremy White said something mean to you two years ago.

I'd unfollow but there's definitely a car wreck quality to seeing Harrington air out his emotional problems on Twitter every day. Plus if Paul Hamilton tweets some breaking news about the team and I miss it, at least I know Harrington might get to it an hour later for me.

Harrington is definitely also a product of his environment as a TBN employee. It's a garbage paper these days.

Tough to pick but Bulldog is absolutely useless. Must have pictures of someone high up.

2nd is Hamilton. I flipped over for 2 minutes while Maddog was in break. He stated that his comparison of the Leafs/Sabres development goes back to the respective Rielly/Risto picks and the two teams are even now. What? Of course those two idiots said nothing.

Hey Paul, um......are you watching this season?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.