Who is the Worst Member of the Buffalo Media?

WildCard

Pick Your Worst  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the Worst?

• Paul Hamilton
    • Mike Harrington
    • Schopp
    • Bulldog
    • Jerry Sullivan
    • Bucky

Paul Hamilton.

Too vanilla and milk toast for my taste.

I know there are many worthy candidates, but, I'll take a flame thrower over someone that rarely says anything I don't already know and when he expresses an opinion, I usually don't agree with it.  For all his access, I expect more.

I agree with this. It's easy to pick guys like Harrington, Sullivan, Gleason, etc................. But nobody has ever really had any expectations for these guys because they've been hacks from day one. PHam used to be good, I used to respect his opinion. But he has really regressed over the years. People expect more out of him and he's just not living up to his old expectations. I think it's time for somebody else fill his spot. 

Fun question, and one I could probably write about for a long time.  Biggest beefs.....Harrington and Graham acting like children on twitter.  They are too dim to realize that fighting in the gutter just gets them dirty.  It really detracts from any of the great work (I'm speaking more about Graham here) that they do, and hurts the paper overall.

Bucky is even more fun.  His writing leaves so much to be desired that you almost wonder if he is pandering to a certain demographic on purpose.  Continually harping on athletes making too much money and Buffalo fans somehow being better than anyone else in the world at spotting "phonies" leaves you shaking your head.  I only read his articles to make fun of them, as usually he ends up either contradicting himself or falling into tired thinking like, "why is Kim Pegula allowed in the room when men are talking?". 

Sully has the most talent of the bunch in my opinion, narrowly edging out Graham - and is probably a victim of being here for so long and suffering through what we have.  He came off way better in his live chats truthfully - showed a decent sense of humor and it was self deprecating.

And Bulldog to me is one who has improved dramatically over the years. And while yes, it may be clunky - he may be the most sincere member of the local media. 

John Murphy's pbp for the Bills makes me Cringe. The Snaaap....with that Buffalo accent...ugh....time after time...He was a good anchor man at WKBW but when Van left, this former second banana has shown the world that he is a repetitive drone with manufactured enthusiasm. No personality and the pbp makes me think of sitting next to a loud mouth know-it-all at a bar. The Bills need a real pbp guy.

Jerry Sullivan is professional but seems like he should be in New England, cheering on the Red Sox and Patriots. Sounds like he couldn't make it there so he lowered himself to become the voice of discontent in WNY. He' seems very unhappy with the losing atmosphere and the unprofessional homerism in Buffalo, which in reality is nothing more than a glorified Fargo, as one of the Bills once said. 

On another note Ed Kilgore, who was another really good sports anchor and had spent 40 years at WGR(Z) just up and left on that big anniversary, and joined the Pegula organization, never to be heard from again. He disappointed me greatly by instantly morphing from one of our guys to selling out to the enemy.

I do get a kick listening to WGR talk Sabres hockey. I've been there since the beginning. I live out of town now and the sheer rabid homerism for the Sabres, win or lose, is contagious and fun although I get the feeling it's like eating wings...ultimately unhealthy for you.

It is good for the city when the team wins and I only hope they figure out how to win more but with the Pegulas, we are in The Clueless Era. So we keep circling the drain.

Edited by Marvelo

Fun question, and one I could probably write about for a long time.  Biggest beefs.....Harrington and Graham acting like children on twitter.  They are too dim to realize that fighting in the gutter just gets them dirty.  It really detracts from any of the great work (I'm speaking more about Graham here) that they do, and hurts the paper overall.

Bucky is even more fun.  His writing leaves so much to be desired that you almost wonder if he is pandering to a certain demographic on purpose.  Continually harping on athletes making too much money and Buffalo fans somehow being better than anyone else in the world at spotting "phonies" leaves you shaking your head.  I only read his articles to make fun of them, as usually he ends up either contradicting himself or falling into tired thinking like, "why is Kim Pegula allowed in the room when men are talking?". 

Sully has the most talent of the bunch in my opinion, narrowly edging out Graham - and is probably a victim of being here for so long and suffering through what we have.  He came off way better in his live chats truthfully - showed a decent sense of humor and it was self deprecating.

And Bulldog to me is one who has improved dramatically over the years. And while yes, it may be clunky - he may be the most sincere member of the local media. 

You're right, he has improved.  And his sincerity is due to the fact that he is unabashedly a fan.  He doesn't really consider himself part of the sport media, more of an entertainer on a sports station (his start in radio was not in sports).  He doesn't feel the need to distance himself the way the rest do.

You're right, he has improved. And his sincerity is due to the fact that he is unabashedly a fan. He doesn't really consider himself part of the sport media, more of an entertainer on a sports station (his start in radio was not in sports). He doesn't feel the need to distance himself the way the rest do.

An entertainer? Wow. I'm sorry but that is a huge stretch. What's so entertaining about his inarticulate nature and his regurgitated opinions? He's a fan. So what. He's also not very bright either. I don't find him to be representative of the intelligence of the fans in WNY. Quite the opposite.

An entertainer? Wow. I'm sorry but that is a huge stretch. What's so entertaining about his inarticulate nature and his regurgitated opinions? He's a fan. So what. He's also not very bright either. I don't find him to be representative of the intelligence of the fans in WNY. Quite the opposite.

Agree on Bulldog but I've noticed something interesting about him. He has a Zelig quality (see Wikipedia) about him in that he changes depending who his co-host is. He is a different, much better host with Sal or Brad Riter.

Schopp dominanates Bulldog, forcing him to essentially be his hype man, going along with whatever narcissistic, pseudo-intellectual jag he's on. Bulldog is at his worst when he has one of contrived aneurysms on air.

P.S. I know. It's reigning, not raining.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Agree on Bulldog but I've noticed something interesting about him. He has a Zelig quality (see Wikipedia) about him in that he changes depending who his co-host is. He is a different, much better host with Sal or Brad Riter.

Schopp dominanates Bulldog, forcing him to essentially be his hype man, going along with whatever narcissistic, pseudo-intellectual jag he's on. Bulldog is at his worst when he has one of contrived aneurysms on air.

P.S. I know. It's reigning, not raining.

"Everyone do the chameleon"

This should end this debate real quick

@ByMHarrington  5h5 hours ago
 Forget every other stat/analytic. All 16 teams w/plus goal differential currently in playoff spot. All 14 minuses currently out. #Sabres -28

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

@ByMHarrington 5h5 hours ago

Forget every other stat/analytic. All 16 teams w/plus goal differential currently in playoff spot. All 14 minuses currently out. #Sabres -28

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't even tell if he's serious or not.

I wonder if his mind will implode if the 8th seed team gets blown out the last, meaningless game of the season and ends up -2 but in the playoffs.

Wait. Scoring more than you get scored on is important?

I actually have to admit that I noticed that today while looking at the standings. I don't know if you should throw out all other stats, but it definitely is curious, because it doesn't always happen that way, and probably won't by the time the season ends.

Good takes, all. 

You're right, he has improved.  And his sincerity is due to the fact that he is unabashedly a fan.  He doesn't really consider himself part of the sport media, more of an entertainer on a sports station (his start in radio was not in sports).  He doesn't feel the need to distance himself the way the rest do.

Another shout-out for Chris (Bulldog) Parker here. I've crossed paths with him several times IRL and interact with him occasionally on social media. Chris is good people. And he's bright. He has a good memory, and a good perspective on being a sports fan, and is by default a kind person (which, I think, helps mitigate Schopp's barely concealed contempt for some callers). He also loves Buffalo sports about as much as he loves music (listening and playing) -- and that is saying something.

I think I know how he can sound on the radio. But the takes about him being dumb or uninteresting or annoying are, to me, off base. That's not an easy gig, btw -- being a sports talker/hot take haver. Anyhoo -- Bulldog is one of my very favourites on the local sports media scene. 

@ByMHarrington
Folks, are you gonna believe Sportsnet or every local reporter who covers the #Sabres and is in the room every day? Just stop.

Hard to answer this one...

Bold strategy, consider he may be proven wrong in a couple weeks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.