Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

Ok, I didn't feel like multi-quoting.

So, regarding Tyrod.....

1. His long ball is non-existent

2. His accuracy is in the 55 to 64 range of ranking qb's

3. His "clutch" ability doesn't exist

4. He is an "out of the pocket" QB that severely under performs, out of the pocket.

5. He reads defenses poorly

6. He's nothing. Not nothing special mind you, but just.....nothing.

Time to move on from this error. There shouldn't even be a debate. Just move along imo.

If that's your argument against True you're talking to the wrong guy :lol:

It's completely legitimate to think that benching him for a noodle arm rookie who struggled to hit 50% against 3rd string defenses in his largest sample sizes of play, who's going to throw 4 picks on sunday (it'll be tasty crow if I'm wrong so I'm comfortable saying it with such certainty) when we still have a shot at the best record during the drought is the wrong move, even if we want to move on from him when the season is done and understand he's not a franchise QB. Thus, there certainly should be a debate. It's not guaranteed to be the wrong move but this decision is about as 50/50 controversial as you can have at this point in a football season.

Yup.

It's completely legitimate to think that benching him for a noodle arm rookie who struggled to hit 50% against 3rd string defenses in his largest sample sizes of play, who's going to throw 4 picks on sunday (it'll be tasty crow if I'm wrong so I'm comfortable saying it with such certainty) when we still have a shot at the best record during the drought is the wrong move, even if we want to move on from him when the season is done and understand he's not a franchise QB. Thus, there certainly should be a debate. It's not guaranteed to be the wrong move but this decision is about as 50/50 controversial as you can have at this point in a football season.

The "drought" is irrelevant to me, and many more think like me. The object is to win it all. This QB can't even muster up enough to get us in the playoffs. That has already been proven. Time to move along imo.

The "drought" is irrelevant to me, and many more think like me. The object is to win it all. This QB can't even muster up enough to get us in the playoffs. That has already been proven. Time to move along imo.

You have to start somewhere. Breaking the drought would do so much for the mentality surrounding this franchise 

Honest question, your "win it all" comment made me wonder, do you think that Peterman can win it all for us or do you see this as a [gulp] tank move?

Honest question, your "win it all" comment made me wonder, do you think that Peterman can win it all for us or do you see this as a [gulp] tank move?

I won’t wholeheartedly get behind the following rationale given that playoffs are in reach, but I will admit that this has crossed my mind:

Tyrod has proven that he CAN’T win it all for us.

Peterman hasn’t proven that he can’t.

It’s sad that our QB purgatory has led us to a place where that isn’t an outlandish thought. Winner until proven loser??? I mean, that is crazy. But yet, crazier things have happened. And if Tyrod isn’t the guy, let the next guy prove that he isn’t the guy. Wash, rinse, repeat. Maybe my grandkids will see the playoffs :P

For myself I see it as an experimental situation on the passing game. Our offensive arsenal is currently handicapped, and in a serious fashion I might add, due specifically to the limiting factors of a repeatedly failed air attack. Some blame the offensive coordinator, some the poor receiving corps, others still the O line, and I'm sure there are several other excuses.

But in the end, its very apparent game after game that Tyrod has accuracy issues and is unable to "manage" a game.

Will the kid do better? We won't know until he's in there. But from the very limited sample size from last weekend, I'm certainly not opposed to this move.

It could also be a semi-fake to get the Chargers defense prepared for a traditional quarterback.  If Peterman plays well, win.  If he plays poorly, put in Tyrod and let him use his feet as well as his arm.  And the Chargers defense would be set up around having a spy on the QB. 

Also, I was thinking Tyrod would get is shot to play over the full season so that the coaching staff would know if he is their guy or not.  But perhaps just as important is knowing what the alternative is.

It could also be a semi-fake to get the Chargers defense prepared for a traditional quarterback.  If Peterman plays well, win.  If he plays poorly, put in Tyrod and let him use his feet as well as his arm.  And the Chargers defense would be set up around having a spy on the QB. 

Also, I was thinking Tyrod would get is shot to play over the full season so that the coaching staff would know if he is their guy or not.  But perhaps just as important is knowing what the alternative is.

Nobody in the history of the NFL has benched their starting quarterback to get in the minds of the other team

I don't get this though, he has Benjamin and Matthews to throw to, but he never does.    

I do think they gave TT a fair shot and he didn't deliver.    Would have given him a game or two more though.

He certainly had enough games to show what he had. The hanging chad, imo, is that the Dennison scheme was NEVER going to enable Taylor to succeed. I'm not even saying Taylor was/is capable of meaningful success in the NFL, but I think he might have been (be) given the right situation.

Ok, I didn't feel like multi-quoting.

So, regarding Tyrod.....

1. His long ball is non-existent

2. His accuracy is in the 55 to 64 range of ranking qb's

3. His "clutch" ability doesn't exist

4. He is an "out of the pocket" QB that severely under performs, out of the pocket.

5. He reads defenses poorly

6. He's nothing. Not nothing special mind you, but just.....nothing.

Time to move on from this error. There shouldn't even be a debate. Just move along imo.

I almost didn't get past #1 since his long ball is a demonstrated strength. Not that it means too terribly much in the overall scheme of a successful QB, but he can mos def put air under it and hit a guy in stride.

I agree that his inaccuracy on normal throws and his inability to facilitate YAC are things that most likely doom him as a QB1 in the league.

1.  This team is stupid.

2.  State-run radio with its usual lack of critical analysis right now.

I agree with the take that Beane and McDermott are gutsy for doing this now. Whether they are stupid for having done so remains to be seen (and isn't necessarily tied to what happens this season).

It's the timing that bothers me. They're in a playoff spot.

Right. The timing is extremely risky. They're basically saying that they think a rookie 5th rounder is THE guy that will get them to the playoffs. They're not saying Tyrod can't do it, they're saying Peterman will. It's bananas.

How?

Because there is no other reason to play Peterman in this game right now. Every game matters. If this were a choice between Tyrod and really promising rookie QB then I could see it. But putting Peterman in right now based on pretty much nothing is saying that they really do think he's THE guy. This isn't an experiment to see IF Peterman is better than Tyrod, this is 100% support that he IS better than Tyrod. Or else there is no reason to play him right now.

It's the timing that bothers me.  They're in a playoff spot.

I hear you.

Right. The timing is extremely risky. They're basically saying that they think a rookie 5th rounder is THE guy that will get them to the playoffs. They're not saying Tyrod can't do it, they're saying Peterman will. It's bananas.

That's exactly what the conclusion must be: They think the rookie gives them a better shot at getting into the playoffs.

I hope they're right. I tend to doubt they are.

But they are not a playoff team

This is the only other reason you play Peterman right now: You don't believe this team can make the playoffs anyway so you're willing to throw this game against LA (and possibly your playoff chances) away just to see if Peterman is any good at all. Which is also bananas in a year where the AFC is terrible. 

The cream will rise to the top. The Bills stink. We knew it before the season. We should know it now. Bad players = bad team.

The cream is very limited. That final spot is likely down to Bills-Raiders-Ravens. Bills have one game on the Ravens and two on the Raiders.