GDT: Buffalo at Montréal 7:30 pm ET, 1/31/2017

Doohickie

This is the sentiment I've heard from the majority of the posters that have PM'd me. There are 5 posters here that like to interject politics into a hockey board, unfortunately they like to be most vocal about it.

We, the mods, have discussed at length, approval of a political thread, it's pros and cons, etc.

I can say that in all my years as SabreSpace mod I have never been so insulted personally via PM by a few posters. Even given that, I've advocated for bringing a politics thread back even though I'm not sure that tossing the car keys to the kids makes them learn how to drive within the speed limit.

There are plenty of outlets to express your political opinions outside of a hockey board, most un-moderated if you need to just put your opinion on a screen somewhere for someone to see. Like d4rk said, typing it here or there won't get "it" done (whatever it is for you), get out there and do it.

Why was there a politics thread for years? Why is there a politics thread on the Bills board? Is that how we posters are viewed, as children? Is that why you adults won't announce what the decision was about the politics thread? Because we aren't old enough to understand? How would a newcomer to this board know not to create a politics thread? Is the very mention of something political banned? I learned today there's another meaning to filibuster other than standing up on the floor of the Senate and speaking for 24 hours, but I'm afraid to put it in the Random Thread. So many questions.

One more. What would an unmoderated SabreSpace look like?

Feckin' politics. 

Is there no escaping them?

JFC. I logged off FB semi-permanently for that reason. And now even goddamn Instagram is being plagued, somehow. Give me polariod-style pictures of good food and drink, goddammit!

Keep at it, freeman. You're doing the Lord's work.

The question begs to be asked again: why not just stay out of the Politics Thread?

I'm going to jump in here and defend freeman a bit. He deleted posts that I reported for obvious trolling by a self-professed politics troll.

I've been avoiding reporting the posts that aren't trolling in order to not flood the mods. But I think if we're not going to have a politics thread, then we aught not to have politics mentioned anywhere. And this is especially the case for posts that are obviously attempts at trolling. 

What did they do to you? It's OK. You can tell me. PM if you have to. Seriously, though, when was it decided there wouldn't be a politics thread? And I'm sure you realize the impracticality of banning all political speech in any Internet forum, even a sports forum. There will be no discussion of NFL blackouts and antitrust laws, no discussion of whether income tax rates could affect a free agent signing with the Sabres, no discussion if Terry convenes another meeting of elected officials at the arena to edumucate them on fracking, etc. etc. Maybe by March, our dear leader will have banned all foreigners from entering the U.S., preventing Modo from coming for the game. But it will not be discussed here. Politics is everywhere in life.

I blame Bogo for Franson's troubles.   I'd like to see Franson with McCabe or Fedun, somebody quicker on their feet.   Put Bogo with Gorges... on the sidelines.  

Pretty sad when we are pointing to Fedun (a plug in from the AHL with no development prospects) as a savior for our other fill in bottom pairing defense man. We need to improve our blueline ffs.

Why was there a politics thread for years? Why is there a politics thread on the Bills board? Is that how we posters are viewed, as children? Is that why you adults won't announce what the decision was about the politics thread? Because we aren't old enough to understand? How would a newcomer to this board know not to create a politics thread? Is the very mention of something political banned? I learned today there's another meaning to filibuster other than standing up on the floor of the Senate and speaking for 24 hours, but I'm afraid to put it in the Random Thread. So many questions.

One more. What would an unmoderated SabreSpace look like?

The question begs to be asked again: why not just stay out of the Politics Thread?

What did they do to you? It's OK. You can tell me. PM if you have to. Seriously, though, when was it decided there wouldn't be a politics thread? And I'm sure you realize the impracticality of banning all political speech in any Internet forum, even a sports forum. There will be no discussion of NFL blackouts and antitrust laws, no discussion of whether income tax rates could affect a free agent signing with the Sabres, no discussion if Terry convenes another meeting of elected officials at the arena to edumucate them on fracking, etc. etc. Maybe by March, our dear leader will have banned all foreigners from entering the U.S., preventing Modo from coming for the game. But it will not be discussed here. Politics is everywhere in life.

I enjoy politics more now that I don't spend time here talking about it. I'm focusing my energies into getting involved. And quite frankly I find little value in online debate at this point, and that's in all venues. I'm fine without it, for better or for worse. 

I blame Bogo for Franson's troubles.   I'd like to see Franson with McCabe or Fedun, somebody quicker on their feet.   Put Bogo with Gorges... on the sidelines.  

I agree.

Franson looked *really* good with with a fast skating/ puck handling D partner through out the season

And by *really*, I mean better than I thought he could look.

But, it must all be the players fault, cause this can't be a coaching thing. /s

Pretty sad when we are pointing to Fedun (a plug in from the AHL with no development prospects) as a savior for our other fill in bottom pairing defense man. We need to improve our blueline ffs.

Pretty sad?  Or a pretty nice surprise so far?

I'd rather Franson sit than Bogosian.

Fedun and Falk have been a nice surprise. Unfortunately to see enough of them to be a surprise we also have to endure very poor/injury riddled seasons from Kulikov, Bogosian and Franson. :sick:

When you compare Fedun/Falk to guys like Bogo and Gorges, etc..  they look like very capable NHL defensemen.   However, you put them on a contender and they look terrible.    

They don't make a lot of mistakes, but they don't generate anything either... they don't make plus plays.   They're just very very average, servicable guys, which are nice to have around as depth, but they shouldn't be in the top 6. 

When you compare Fedun/Falk to guys like Bogo and Gorges, etc..  they look like very capable NHL defensemen.   However, you put them on a contender and they look terrible.    

They don't make a lot of mistakes, but they don't generate anything either... they don't make plus plays.   They're just very very average, servicable guys, which are nice to have around as depth, but they shouldn't be in the top 6. 

Very true.

I've been critical of GMTM because I get the sense that he doesn't fully recognize how the game has evolved over the last 10 years or so. Everyone else is going to skilled ultra-mobile defensemen who can carry the puck, make tough passes, and have the green light to jump into the play as necessary. Those guys might not be big hitters, but they are quick and positionally sound in their defensive zone. Personally, I'd trade just about any winger on our roster for a good two-way defenseman.

Very true.

I've been critical of GMTM because I get the sense that he doesn't fully recognize how the game has evolved over the last 10 years or so. Everyone else is going to skilled ultra-mobile defensemen who can carry the puck, make tough passes, and have the green light to jump into the play as necessary. Those guys might not be big hitters, but they are quick and positionally sound in their defensive zone. Personally, I'd trade just about any winger on our roster for a good two-way defenseman.

That paragraph describes Lindy Ruff's system to a tee.  Just sayin', maybe the problem is Bylsma's preference for low-event hockey.  Or maybe the problem is that the goalies aren't good enough to allow defensemen to fully participate in the offense.  Or maybe both.

You have a gram and book? Surprising :lol:

per my older kids, that's an Insta.

It beggeth not.

I *did* stay out of the Politics Thread, religiously (ha).

What's happening now is that political arble-garble keeps cropping up in threads about game discussions, lineup discussions, OT random threads, etc.

It beggeth not.

What's happening now is that political arble-garble keeps cropping up in threads about game discussions, lineup discussions, OT random threads, etc.

Yes.  The politics thread provided people with an outlet if they wanted one.

It beggeth not.

Well, duh. They closed the mental hospital. It was a matter of time until they drifted into town.

This should not be happening to you, freeman, or SDS.  There is absolutely no sense to it.

Speaking for myself, this was the only place I discussed politics. It was great because it was hockey fans talking politics, not politics fans talking politics. I will not search it out elsewhere. For almost five years it was my only political discussion outlet and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

To think that there would be no spillover or pushback when having that rug pulled out from under our feet, right after one of the most contentious elections in a while, while facing an administraion that is going to put all those checks and balences that we are all so proud of to the test, is just shortsighted.

And sorry to dump on you Nfreemen (even though I never singled you out), I'm sure you're a good dude and did everything by the "plan," but you were the defacto face of the politics ban, and given your stances in the past, probably not the best choice. You almost seemed to enjoy it (c'mon, admit it. you enjoyed it a little, pretty sure I would have).

Timing and optics.

The only analogy I can make would be to imagine the outrage if a Boston Bruin fan said we could no longer talk about the Sabres on this board (my only hockey talk outlet) just as we were about to go into game 5 of the Stanley Cup finals up 3 games 1.

It also interesting that this topic has come up once again just as the Sabres have lost a couple in a row.

Alright, NOW back to hockey,... ugh.

Speaking for myself, this was the only place I discussed politics. It was great because it was hockey fans talking politics, not politics fans talking politics. I will not search it out elsewhere. For almost five years it was my only political discussion outlet and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

To think that there would be no spillover or pushback when having that rug pulled out from under our feet, right after one of the most contentious elections in a while, while facing an administraion that is going to put all those checks and balences that we are all so proud of to the test, is just shortsighted.

And sorry to dump on you Nfreemen (even though I never singled you out), I'm sure you're a good dude and did everything by the "plan," but you were the defacto face of the politics ban, and given your stances in the past, probably not the best choice. You almost seemed to enjoy it (c'mon, admit it. you enjoyed it a little, pretty sure I would have).

Timing and optics.

The only analogy I can make would be to imagine the outrage if a Boston Bruin fan said we could no longer talk about the Sabres on this board (my only hockey talk outlet) just as we were about to go into game 5 of the Stanley Cup finals up 3 games 1.

It also interesting that this topic has come up once again just as the Sabres have lost a couple in a row.

I miss talking politics too.  And it's ok to disagree, even publicly, but she said she was receiving insults via PM and that's not right, reasonable, or even sensible.

Very true.

Hence why I want Ghost. We legitimately need 4 brand new defensemen. We're not getting it in the draft, and Kane is leaving after next year anyways. Trade them for Ghost or Barrie or Shattenkirk

I miss talking politics too. And it's ok to disagree, even publicly, but she said she was receiving insults via PM and that's not right, reasonable, or even sensible.

Yeah that's absurd

btw, your glasses look stupid in your profile chz

Hence why I want Ghost. We legitimately need 4 brand new defensemen. We're not getting it in the draft, and Kane is leaving after next year anyways. Trade them for Ghost or Barrie or Shattenkirk

Yeah that's absurd

btw, your glasses look stupid in your profile chz

No they don't you do! :P

Timing and optics.

Who said anyone expected no spillover or pushback?  Has there not been a mountain of it?  When will it be enough?

As for timing/optics -- this is exactly what I objected to earlier.  We have described the reasons for the closure of the politics thread numerous times.  When you (and others -- you are hardly the only one) say the closure has "bad optics" after seeing the repeated explanation for the closure, you are essentially saying "I know you said you closed the politics thread because it created bad vibes on the board, but I think you're lying -- I think the real reason is that you were sick of reading posts that disagreed with your political views."

It's an inherently obnoxious and insulting statement.

As for taking pleasure in the closure -- I have been happy with the results of the closure, because I think the board is much better without political discussions -- and I think most of January was pretty pleasant around here.  OTOH, on days like today, when people I generally respect and think should know better act like it's perfectly fine to lob in serious accusations, the aftermath of the closure delivers only agita.  (And BTW I agree that it's no coincidence that the crap re-emerges after a solid week without a good Sabres game.)

Very true.

I think Guhle and Fitzgerald fit that mold.  

Borgen maybe?  http://www.sabresprospects.com/2014/05/will-borgen.html  

Not saying they're all going to crack the top 4, but they're plus skaters so it's nice to at least have those guys in the pipeline, hopefully one of them exceeds expectations someday.    It's just not possible to acquire top 4 d-men through FA anymore, they're too valuable.  

I think Guhle and Fitzgerald fit that mold.  

Borgen maybe?  http://www.sabresprospects.com/2014/05/will-borgen.html  

Not saying they're all going to crack the top 4, but they're plus skaters so it's nice to at least have those guys in the pipeline, hopefully one of them exceeds expectations someday.    It's just not possible to acquire top 4 d-men through FA anymore, they're too valuable.  

I'm always weary of attaching too much hope on prospects to make an impact and change our play style. It is very rare that any of these young guys that we pin our hopes too even make the NHL, yet alone make an impact. I know we have been tank and prospect focused for a long time around here, but successful franchises don't rely on young players and prospects to change the direction of the franchise.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.