GDT: Sabres at Habs -- 1/21/17, 7:00 pm

nfreeman

I can't remember hearing Casey Nelson's name called at all tonight.  That's probably a good thing.

With 3 AHLers on the blue line, DD managed to distribute ice time pretty well (and by that, I mean he kept Risto under 30 minutes, even if just barely):

Risto:  29:36

Bogo:  25:12  (game winning goal)

Franson:  21:28 (tying goal)

Fedun:  18:08

Falk:  12:47

Nelson:  9:33

It's fun to read the GDTs after the game just to see all the negativity people have early on when things don't go a certain way and then the Sabres still win.  

For back to back games I thought they did rather well and they had their opportunities.

It wasn't a pretty game but they come away with 2 points and find a way to win using a few different players (Franson, Bogosian).

I'll take it. All-star break is coming up.. Ristolainen will get his rest.

Tampa is going to fall behind us after they lose tonight. Into last place in the Atlantic. I wonder what's up, besides their brutal defense and injured star.

It's almost as if losing a star player is enough to make a team not be as good as it could have been and fall to the basement.... despite all the talent the Lightning have.

So let me get this straight, I can't take anything but the positives away from a win? It's a freaking hockey opinion

I've no problem with you wanting to find the negatives but I wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment that Lehner was out of position.  He was forced to commit to the original shooter and had he not then the more likely outcome of that play is that there is no pass and instead it's a goal.  The glaring issue is that Evander Kane is standing IN the crease which clearly indicates he is not where he should be and creates the attack scenario in the first place.

So Lehner made a great save.  Someone compared it to Hasek who made saves like that routinely and rather than agree you tell people not to compare him to Hasek.  Well, that save was Hasek like.  It doesn't mean he's as good as him just that he made a great save.

At least that's my take of the situation.... you do seem to want to be negative to be negative.  It's your choice but at least understand that that's how people are seeing it.

They have a lot of forward talent, but that blue line after Hedman and Stralman is a mess.

Also, their coach is on the hot seat. And they still are scoring at rates much much higher than tank teams. :P

Also, I wasn't always this negative! I predicted that we'd win more playoff games than the blackhawks this season!

Just caught the highlights. Holy Jesus was RJ in fine form tonight! Looked like a great goaltending bout on both sides and I'm happy to see two wins in a row (despite giving up points to divisional teams in OT).

At least giving points to Montreal and Detroit were never going to matter (and in the latter case, could help us if our season continues the wrong way)

It's almost as if losing a star player is enough to make a team not be as good as it could have been and fall to the basement.... despite all the talent the Lightning have.

I've no problem with you wanting to find the negatives but I wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment that Lehner was out of position. He was forced to commit to the original shooter and had he not then the more likely outcome of that play is that there is no pass and instead it's a goal. The glaring issue is that Evander Kane is standing IN the crease which clearly indicates he is not where he should be and creates the attack scenario in the first place.

So Lehner made a great save. Someone compared it to Hasek who made saves like that routinely and rather than agree you tell people not to compare him to Hasek. Well, that save was Hasek like. It doesn't mean he's as good as him just that he made a great save.

At least that's my take of the situation.... you do seem to want to be negative to be negative. It's your choice but at least understand that that's how people are seeing it.

hahahah unreal. How am I wanting to be negative but yet everyone blaming Kane for not covering his guy is not? I had a different take on a bad play but a great save. Even said it was the best save I've ever seen. Sorry for trying to stimulate some conversation Edited by WildCard

What's with all the negative waves in here tonight?  Stop it with them negative waves.

The Sabres played very well and they beat a very good team, with a stellar goaler, in their own building.  We really need to celebrate that.

Dare I say that our coach out coached their coach?  Is that a thing?

My strategery paid off for the second game in a row.   :flirt:

EDIT:

DAMN PHONE!!

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Great win, seems like this team is just young and going through the pains of such. Toronto may suck next year because of the Myers effect, laziness and other teams learning, for all we know  :flirt:

Eichel needs to learn how to tie up guys and play back to backs. Maybe its just the injury effecting stamina?

Risto is not only a horse, but a Clydesdale with cybernetic enhancements :w00t:  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.