GDT: Sabres at Habs -- 1/21/17, 7:00 pm

nfreeman

Responding to the bolded ones:

To me, Larsson versus Girgensons is not an either/or.  It's worked out that way because Girgensons has largely been filling Larsson's role since his injury, but I like both players when they're playing well (and both have played well for long enough stretches now to evaluate that).  The challenge is on DD to find a way to give each of the right assignments to thrive when they're both healthy.

Samson's passing blows me away.  The best or one of the best on the team in terms of passing.  His defensive game is rounding out nicely too.  Maybe some people haven't recognized this yet so they don't see him as a top player, but he's coming along nicely.

I agree about Foligno.  I see him as a bottom six guy who can acquit himself well in the top six for stretches when need be.  If you're looking for the board battle guy, that may end up being Carrier.  Or it could be someone who hasn't played in the NHL yet.

I'm guessing that when our NHL ready winger situation gets up to par, one or the other is going to be a 4th line C

As for Samson, I should have said a better/more rounded player. No doubt he sees the ice better than any other Sabre and that backhanded pass from the Red line to a streaking Eichel would have been completely off the charts if Jack had gotten his stick on it, I think that was in the red wings game. Also to repeat myself when our winger brigade gets better, I'm assuming he's going to end up as the 2nd or 3rd line Centerman. I thought he really was growing into the role when he played there and he, Kane and Bailey were dangerous when on the ice together. If kept together that could really be an impressive 3rd line!!!!

Bogosian is maybe the least accurate shooter I've ever seen... where the hell did that game winning shot come from?! That was an absolute laser. Wow.

He needs to get in line behind Zhitnik, Myers, and almost every other Sabers defenseman that have suited up in blue and gold throughout the years. All I read in every game day thread is how none of the Dman can get the puck on net.

Good points on the pros of Kane in this thread.

The cons though, are most likely insurmountable. That being money, term and to some, lack of team play with his linemates.

Move him this deadline or off season if a deal like shea Theodore presents itself is my opinion.

Just for fun though, Anaheim is against the cap more than we are right now.

To Anaheim: (projected cap hit, 76.8 - LTIR relief, 4.98 - current cap projection, 71.82)

Kane 5.25 aav 6.00 sal (1 yr)

Nillson 1.00 aav 1.00 sal (UFA)

Girgensons 1.15 aav 1.15 sal (RFA)

Total: 8.40 aav

To Buffalo: (Projected cap hit, 71.6 - LTIR relief, 0 - current cap projection, 71.6)

Stoner 3.25 aav 3.25 sal (1 yr)

Bernier 4.15 aav 4.15 sal (UFA)

Theodore 863,333 aav 832,500 sal (ELC)

Nick Ritch 1,627,500 aav 925,000 sal with 850,000 P bonus (RFA)

Total: 9.1 aav

I included the salaries because Anaheim has internal cap? Just something to look at.

So, Bernier had been playing bad lately and he's pricey. Give them Nillson for price reduction and appears steadier in play. Both are FA's.

They get Kane and Girgensons for the playoff run and scoring increase they need as well as both can be around next season for it as well.

We get Theodore for an LHD we need and we get Ritchie who has had a tad bit worse struggles than Girgs as the price for swinging the deal. But both are young and appear to need a change of scenery.May have to add something minor pick wise to equalize, not sure though.

My first time trying this, be kind in your flaming :)

Thoughts?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.