Expansion Draft -- Sabres moves and speculation

SabresBaltimore

I live 4hrs away and my boys are rabid hockey fans.     

Cheap rooms in Vegas on a weekday, and free VIP tickets for the show.   We'll spend a few extra days there, hit up Top Golf, some rides, attractions etc.

We were just there in February on our way to Brian Head, UT... but this time we're also hoping for a Bieber or Nickelback sighting.    

Brian Head.  Very underrated but great snow this year. 

Why not? He can still be sent down -- Vegas would just need to pay him the $750K. That doesn't seem like a big deal.

Vegas definitely takes him before they take one of the Sabres' bad contracts, IMHO.

I think they'd be wary of Ullmark being claimed on waivers should they try and send him down.

I think they'd be wary of Ullmark being claimed on waivers should they try and send him down.

This is certainly reasonable and probably right. However, I don't think it supports Taro's point, which was that a 1-way deal would make it unlikely that Vegas would take him.

This is certainly reasonable and probably right. However, I don't think it supports Taro's point, which was that a 1-way deal would make it unlikely that Vegas would take him.

It can't be a 1-way contract, right? (I mean, that's only his salary if in the NHL.) If Botterill offered him a two-year 1-way as a backup... That's irresponsible. You don't do that until he's proven he can sit for 8 games in a row, then hop in for a back-to-back, or is trusted enough and keep the team going for a playoff run. He hasn't proven himself as a full-time NHL backup yet.  He's played one full season in the AHL for a bad team, and split the previous season between NHL/AHL after coming off a surgery and converting to the North American ice. I'm happy if he's our Sabres backup, on a 2-year 2-way deal. (And we've got an agreement for LV let us keep him and Lehner.)

Now, Ullmark has got lots of potential. He's an AHL All-Star with... middling... numbers (except for shots against, he got a top-notch workload last season). MODO and the folks that met him love him. He's looked decent when up the Sabres, although sometimes a bit quick to lunge forward. And he has wonderful mask art.

Wonder if Bieber is a Nashville or Pittsburgh fan this year, he seems to change teams every 3 seconds. 

Pens,

sadly it was in the news recently here because Leafs fans were ripping on him for posting a photo of him in a Pens jersey when he is supposed to be a Leafs fan. His response is the jersey is cool and it was a gift to him (possibly by the Pens) so he was going to wear it......

I've seen him wear kings and Jets jerseys so he's clearly a poser.

Or, he's rich and can afford a jersey from every team, in every sport, in every league on the planet. That little douche is a pretty good athlete, too. Maybe he just likes sports?

It can't be a 1-way contract, right? (I mean, that's only his salary if in the NHL.) If Botterill offered him a two-year 1-way as a backup... That's irresponsible. You don't do that until he's proven he can sit for 8 games in a row, then hop in for a back-to-back, or is trusted enough and keep the team going for a playoff run. He hasn't proven himself as a full-time NHL backup yet.  He's played one full season in the AHL for a bad team, and split the previous season between NHL/AHL after coming off a surgery and converting to the North American ice. I'm happy if he's our Sabres backup, on a 2-year 2-way deal. (And we've got an agreement for LV let us keep him and Lehner.)

Now, Ullmark has got lots of potential. He's an AHL All-Star with... middling... numbers (except for shots against, he got a top-notch workload last season). MODO and the folks that met him love him. He's looked decent when up the Sabres, although sometimes a bit quick to lunge forward. And he has wonderful mask art.

I'd agree with this if the $$ were substantial, but it's $750K per season. 

I'd agree with this if the $$ were substantial, but it's $750K per season. 

Actually, the dollars are great. Especially if he can handle the NHL backup role. Boom, we're in great shape with a .920+ starter in Lehner and a cheap up-and-coming backup. That's where we want to be.

My worst-case-scenario fear is we risk losing him via waivers if he just can't do the haphazard backup workload and needs to go down. And we're trading a part for a backup goalie just to stay competitive. It also means our only prospect in the system in Rochester is Johansson (1st season on the smaller ice). It means Johansson is our de facto starter in Rochester. We've got to get busy drafting a goalie or two... and one of them early... 2nd round. I've conceded to losing Petersen as our AHL backup this season.

Glass half full me says: This is Botterill showing faith in the future. Here's your 1-way contract, Linus. Now be our backup that can Matt Murray us into a long playoff run if needed.

Edited by DarthEbriate

Why not? He can still be sent down -- Vegas would just need to pay him the $750K. That doesn't seem like a big deal.

Vegas definitely takes him before they take one of the Sabres' bad contracts, IMHO.

On an EXPANSION team, you really expect that the #3 (or possibly worse depending on who is available next week) goalie is going to be down on the farm making 10x what the rest of the farm hands are getting? That would not help team chemistry at all.

Can't see any way that happens. Also can't see any other GM making a deal to take an unproven guy on a 1 way contract as their backup in a trade w/ Vegas.

Do you see Ullmark being the 2nd best guy that's available to Vegas? Or even him as the 2nd best guy that isn't coming from a team that Vegas desperately wants to take a skater from & therefore passes on the arguably better goalie? They have to take at least 3 goalies; how does he end up clearly the 2nd best of what they grab?

This could be the move that makes Kulikov the Sabre taken in the expansion draft. Though I'd still expect them to take Ennis or w/ a slight sweetener Moulson.

A pending UFA taken in the expansion draft?

Vegas has an exclusive window where they can negotiate with and sign soon to be UFA and RFAs, and if they sign one from your team, it counts as Vegas's selection from that particular team.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/las-vegas-will-have-exclusive-48-hour-window-to-negotiate-with-unprotected-free-agents

"As for the teams that lose players, LeBrun confirmed that an unprotected player lost through the expansion as a restricted or unrestricted free agent will count towards their overall expansion draft loss. The rules require one player to be selected from each of the league’s 30 existing teams. If Bishop, for example, were to sign as a free agent during the 48-hour negotiation window, he would be the only player the Lightning would need to give up."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.