GDT: Philadelpha @ Buffalo 7:00 pm ET, 1/10/2017

Doohickie

They're still having at least 1 bad period / game, but since Larsson went out they've been playing at least 1 (if not 2) excellent periods / game.

Very nice game from the #2 goalie (for how much longer?) & the 2 - #2's overall.

Somebody else mentioned it here earlier, if they stay healthy for another week or 2 they'll officially & literally have moved the Eichel tank year #1 line down to the #4 line. Moulson - Girgensons - Ennis. Quite an overhaul & it still isn't complete.

Sam isnt going anywhere, Eichel sure was an unmotivated non factor. I like Carrier, brings speed heat and hustle, forces turnovers. Agree, fourth line lacking, Moulson is too slow. D-lo thought had a good game. Sabres avoided a lot of physical not sure why except maybe banged up after last one.

Sam isnt going anywhere, Eichel sure was an unmotivated non factor. I like Carrier, brings speed heat and hustle, forces turnovers. Agree, fourth line lacking, Moulson is too slow. D-lo thought had a good game. Sabres avoided a lot of physical not sure why except maybe banged up after last one.

I think opposing teams double down when Eichel is on the ice,  then having O'Reilly and Reinhart coming after , they can't keep up with 3 lines.

Its not perfect yet , perfection would be giving Eichel someone to play with.

What about Nilsson?

Ullmark was breathing down Nilsson's neck, eyeing that starting job. It's why Nilsson stepped up.

(D'oh, I'm an idiot.)

Fedun is good for 1-2 major gaffes each game. He also does some very nice things with the puck. Those gaffes probably make him sit for Gorges even though Gorges does nothing good with the puck and is good for 1-2 major gaffes each shift.

Clearly overshadowed by Noronen.

Anyway, in reality, I actually liked Reinhart centering Kane and Bailey.

I don't see Bailey or Carrier going back to the A.  Let D-Lo be the 13th fwd.

I think opposing teams double down when Eichel is on the ice,  then having O'Reilly and Reinhart coming after , they can't keep up with 3 lines.

Just as I predicted this morning:

I look at that lineup and see three scoring lines (1A, 1B, 1C, if you will) and a checking line.  Looks pretty good to me.  I like the balance.  At least one of those first lines is gonna have a good night.

My observations from tonight:

1. Nilsson plays much more under control than Lehner.  I'm never really nervous when he's in net.  With Lehner almost any shot taken has the ability to go in.

2. Fedun should stay in the lineup.  Excellent puck mover.

3. Reinhart is coming on strong.  It's beautiful.

4. That was a COMPLETE game.  I think it's their best game so far this year.  The forecheck and backcheck were both very strong.

My observations from tonight:

1. Nilsson plays much more under control than Lehner.  I'm never really nervous when he's in net.  With Lehner almost any shot taken has the ability to go in.

2. Fedun should stay in the lineup.  Excellent puck mover.

3. Reinhart is coming on strong.  It's beautiful.

4. That was a COMPLETE game.  I think it's their best game so far this year.  The forecheck and backcheck were both very strong.

This game was great overall, totally agree, full momentum every shift. So happy, and we really needed to beat philly to close the gap!

Overall the game was good.  Philly was quite sloppy which certainly helped the Sabres.

The call on McCabe was absolute garbage.  The ref called that because the attacker didn't score and just assumed it had to be because he hooked him.  Garbage and that screwed Nilsson because I firmly believe he was getting a shutout.

Eichel has his moments where he's magical and then he has his moments where I wonder if he even knows what he's doing.  That said, that backhand upper corner shot attempt... I noticed at the end of warmups last Saturday when waiting for everyone to clear the ice he just kept working that shot and the forehand shot in the upper corner over and over.  That's how you get that good at it.

The lineup kept moving around tonight which was a bit hard to follow but overall I definitely like the game.  The passive attack in the 3rd killed me and the Sabres are still caught in their own end too much.  But it's a win so I will take it.

Serious answer:  I think when ROR went down with the appendectomy, the young guns faced a bit of a crisis of faith:  without ROR they doubted their ability as a team to win.  Jack's outburst signaled that he is a leader.  It also, I think, inspired Sam to step up.  They started to believe that they are ready to lead the team.  Getting ROR back wasn't a necessity anymore, but it was a shot in the arm.  On the defensive side, Risto/McCabe have more gradually taken the same step.  Additionally, Falk and Fedun have provided a very stable bottom pairing.  Finally, Carrier and Bailey are finding their way.  They're not liabilities any longer; they're ready to play at the NHL level.  When Ennis returns, one will likely return to the A, but with the confidence that it is a temporary move with a future in the NHL at hand and simply awaiting a shift in the roster for an opportunity (include Baptiste in that; he'll be back soon too).

So the Sabres went from fielding teams of spare parts to teams full of potential, and the potential is on the brink of being realized.  It's almost as if Jack's outburst flipped the switch in everyone's head that it was time for each and every player to play at their maximum capacity.

Larsson's injury figures in there somehow.  It shook up the lineup a bit (and it's still settling out).  Moving Grant also shook things up.  I think the younger guys are looking around and realizing this is *their* team and the future is at hand.

Their time of waiting in the wings is over.  Time to step out into the spotlight.

Overall the game was good.  Philly was quite sloppy which certainly helped the Sabres.

The call on McCabe was absolute garbage.  The ref called that because the attacker didn't score and just assumed it had to be because he hooked him.  Garbage and that screwed Nilsson because I firmly believe he was getting a shutout.

Eichel has his moments where he's magical and then he has his moments where I wonder if he even knows what he's doing.  That said, that backhand upper corner shot attempt... I noticed at the end of warmups last Saturday when waiting for everyone to clear the ice he just kept working that shot and the forehand shot in the upper corner over and over.  That's how you get that good at it.

The lineup kept moving around tonight which was a bit hard to follow but overall I definitely like the game.  The passive attack in the 3rd killed me and the Sabres are still caught in their own end too much.  But it's a win so I will take it.

Are these moments, more often than not, distinguished by when he has the puck versus when he does not? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.