GDT: Philadelpha @ Buffalo 7:00 pm ET, 1/10/2017

Doohickie

Maybe somewhat.  But he makes a fair number of boneheaded plays with the puck if the right play is not obvious.  Youth.

Sure, but I never get the sense that it's because he doesn't know what he's doing...I think he believes in his talent and gets caught trying to force plays that aren't there. Without the puck, on the other hand, I frequently get the sense that he doesn't know what he's doing :lol:

Well, it's okay when Samson or ROR tees it up for him, too.  He's a helluva finisher.

Finisher, yes. But I don't think he's particularly adept at finding space yet when others are working the puck. During the World Cup I commented that he still looks like a lost puppy without the puck on his stick, and I stand by it.

I think Eichel looked great when he had the puck and invisible when Moulson was forcing plays to a double-covered Girgensons, when Gionta chip 'n chased, and Foligno didn't have the hands to get it to him. 

Turned the puck over too much and was generally weak along the boards.  Only saw him carry the puck up a few times and yes he has nice hands, but olayed it a few times especially trying to forecheck, needs to be stronger to force turnover and have seen him do it.   Just didn't look himself... possible flu bug as evidenced by his hair looking worse then normal and that acne looking positively toxic.  Anyone have some clorox wipes.

Edited by North Buffalo

I can't say that I've been focused on Eichel's play off the puck, but I'll try, I guess.

In any case, the suggestion that he had a less than good game is confusing to me. He's no ROR, sure, but, had he better puck luck and a good winger, he'd probably have finished with a goal and 2 assists.

They suck less recently.  Why?

it looked like we were far more aggressive on the forecheck, and routinely had two or even all three forwards in the offensive zone challenging for the puck. It made the Flyers look very uncomfortable and caused some easy turnovers in the neutral zone for the B&G.

I think that aggressiveness is giving the team a purpose and allowing them to work more cohesively as a unit. Before we would only get turnovers on great individual efforts. Last night we got turnovers and had the puck far more often because Philly's D stunk and we forced the play.

I can't say that I've been focused on Eichel's play off the puck, but I'll try, I guess.

In any case, the suggestion that he had a less than good game is confusing to me. He's no ROR, sure, but, had he better puck luck and a good winger, he'd probably have finished with a goal and 2 assists.

Agreed.  I actually thought he had a good game without the puck last night. He came back and broke up a number of plays in the defensive end.  Someone else mentioned it upthread that he's really improved in the defensive zone and I fully agree.  He's using that reach to his advantage and pick pocketing guys more than usual.

Agreed.  I actually thought he had a good game without the puck last night. He came back and broke up a number of plays in the defensive end.  Someone else mentioned it upthread that he's really improved in the defensive zone and I fully agree.  He's using that reach to his advantage and pick pocketing guys more than usual.

The thing that probably does make sense is that he's still working to develop his game off the puck when his team is attacking. A guy with his talent - his whole career to this point has been  focused on him having the puck on his stick.

As for his board work, grit, and jam - I'm just not going to get overly concerned about an alleged absence of it. To me, that's more or less wanting to see your Maserati haul lumber. He obviously needs ENOUGH of those parts of the game, but that's not the essence of who and what he is.

Well, when are we officially "On a tear"?    7 out of 8 possible points in January so far, and 3 of the opponents have solid winning records - 2 of those in the Top Ten in NHL point standings.  

I dunno how long it lasts with Dreary Dan at the Con, but I will enjoy it while it's here.    

Well, when are we officially "On a tear"?    7 out of 8 possible points in January so far, and 3 of the opponents have solid winning records - 2 of those in the Top Ten in NHL point standings.  

I dunno how long it lasts with Dreary Dan at the Con, but I will enjoy it while it's here.    

When we win 7/8 in a row

Great win and a great team effort.

I always love when we beat these guys.

I enjoy a win against Filthy-Delphia almost as much as one against Boston!  

When we win 7/8 in a row

Now that would be a heckuva streak.  I would say if the Sabres win another game (or two), national media will start remarking on it. 8 games, and the talk becomes "These guys look great!"  

Another tank-like performance tomorrow night against Tampa, and we'll all be back to crying in our beers.  Joy will be forgotten. 

I don't really care what the national media thinks.  I care what happens on the ice.

Agreed.

But every win is atleast getting me less and less depressed about the leaf rebuild.  It's starting to feel like soon both teams will be good soon and bring it!

Are these moments, more often than not, distinguished by when he has the puck versus when he does not? 

They are not solely related to that.

Maybe somewhat.  But he makes a fair number of boneheaded plays with the puck if the right play is not obvious.  Youth.

It is many times with the puck.

Sure, but I never get the sense that it's because he doesn't know what he's doing...I think he believes in his talent and gets caught trying to force plays that aren't there. Without the puck, on the other hand, I frequently get the sense that he doesn't know what he's doing :lol:

Finisher, yes. But I don't think he's particularly adept at finding space yet when others are working the puck. During the World Cup I commented that he still looks like a lost puppy without the puck on his stick, and I stand by it.

Allow me to retort.. no, not really, just clarify.  I did not mean to insinuate he doesn't know what he's doing. He very much knows what he's doing.  He's a damn smart hockey player. The problem, as I see it, is that he is too determined to make something happen when it won't. If, in the future, those plays that never happen for him now begin to happen because he was able to continue working at it, then great.  If they are just plays that never get made then he needs to become wiser.  I can't answer which it is yet.  However, I do wish at times he wasn't practicing that mentality on the ice in a game.  Call it him being Jonathan Livingston Seagull... we just don't know if eventually he'll pull up in time yet, until then it can be painful to watch.

The thing with Eichel is that he's an elite passer and an elite shooter.  I'm not sold on him being an elite skater yet.  He's a damn good skater.  So, the question is, will he be the one who dishes or gets dished too.  Perhaps a better way to put it is that most of the time I see Eichel skating like a power forward compared to a dangler.  Hell, I might not even be right on that.. I might just be spewing my consciousness at the moment.

The thing with Eichel is that he's an elite passer and an elite shooter.  I'm not sold on him being an elite skater yet.  He's a damn good skater.  So, the question is, will he be the one who dishes or gets dished too.  Perhaps a better way to put it is that most of the time I see Eichel skating like a power forward compared to a dangler.  Hell, I might not even be right on that.. I might just be spewing my consciousness at the moment.

Eichel's skating is an interesting point. To me, he seems both deceptively quick and deceptively fast. He doesn't seem to fly the way McJesus does, of course. But it  sure does seem like he can get his ass cranked up quickly and then just blow by people.

And I use the term "ass" there intentionally. You ever notice how his lower body gets torqued and corked? It doesn't look fast (in fact, it looks sorta slow somehow?), but then all of a sudden, he's gone.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Allow me to retort.. no, not really, just clarify. I did not mean to insinuate he doesn't know what he's doing. He very much knows what he's doing. He's a damn smart hockey player. The problem, as I see it, is that he is too determined to make something happen when it won't. If, in the future, those plays that never happen for him now begin to happen because he was able to continue working at it, then great. If they are just plays that never get made then he needs to become wiser. I can't answer which it is yet. However, I do wish at times he wasn't practicing that mentality on the ice in a game. Call it him being Jonathan Livingston Seagull... we just don't know if eventually he'll pull up in time yet, until then it can be painful to watch.

The thing with Eichel is that he's an elite passer and an elite shooter. I'm not sold on him being an elite skater yet. He's a damn good skater. So, the question is, will he be the one who dishes or gets dished too. Perhaps a better way to put it is that most of the time I see Eichel skating like a power forward compared to a dangler. Hell, I might not even be right on that.. I might just be spewing my consciousness at the moment.

Thanks for the clarification. We're on the same page.

As to the skating, I think he's got elite speed and acceleration. Dare I say generational! But he definitely doesn't have the quick twitch change of direction as McDavid, or even someone like Gaudreau. Not as agile, or slippery, as others.

Eichel's skating is an interesting point. To me, he seems both deceptively quick and deceptively fast. He doesn't seem to fly the way McJesus does, of course. But it sure does seem like he can get his ass cranked up quickly and then just blow by people.

And I use the term "ass" there intentionally. You ever notice how his lower body gets torqued and corked? It doesn't look fast (in fact, it looks sorta slow somehow?), but then all of a sudden, he's gone.

The power he generates with only a few strides is insane, and the strides themselves are long, which is probably why he doesn't look like he's moving that fast until he's around guys.

Likely also worth noting that I don't think we've seen his top burst yet this year. Thanks ankle.

Thanks for the clarification. We're on the same page.

As to the skating, I think he's got elite speed and acceleration. Dare I say generational! But he definitely doesn't have the quick twitch change of direction as McDavid, or even someone like Gaudreau. Not as agile, or slippery, as others.

The power he generates with only a few strides is insane, and the strides themselves are long, which is probably why he doesn't look like he's moving that fast until he's around guys.

Likely also worth noting that I don't think we've seen his top burst yet this year. Thanks ankle.

I remember in both Oilers games, McDavid almost got leveled by McCabe center ice like he did with Laine.   This will happen one day.

Check out Miles Wood from New Jersey. He's unbelievably fast too. 

He was interviewed between periods in their game the other night vs Edmonton and asked 'who's faster, you or McDavid?"  He said he didn't know because they weren't paired up on the ice at all.

Eichel's skating is an interesting point. To me, he seems both deceptively quick and deceptively fast. He doesn't seem to fly the way McJesus does, of course. But it  sure does seem like he can get his ass cranked up quickly and then just blow by people.

Yea.  I think he's a power forward skater.  He's very north/south.  He does have that body twist and ability to make himself small.  His acceleration/deceleration are incredible and I think that has a lot to do with his success.  He can be full speed, take just enough off to screw up the timing of a hit and then accelerate to be through a space... most of the time.

His acceleration is well document.  Insanely good and it's deceptive because he is a quiet skater... he looks like he's floating.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.