Hamilton: Eichel benched on PP vs. Canes for "disciplinary reasons"

PASabreFan

I thought it just meant he didn't come back hard on a backcheck, are you saying it might be like "was out partying late and came to practice still drunk" ?

Hammy and Koziol didn't elaborate. Koziol speculated it could be something like being late for a meeting or practice.

Interesting. It would have come out by now, don't you think?

I'm guessing that Dan was taking too much heat and either the Sabres or Hamilton himself wanted to let him off the hook. You have to give the coach credit for trying to protect his player, but it's hard to keep the lid on stuff like this.

Eichel has been a mess the past few games.  I stated in another thread.

He should be benched period.  He absolutely did not skate back hard on a goal and called himself out for it.  However, on the power play he was a mess.  He's lost and he needs to wake up.  He keeps assuming he's going to carry the puck through people and it's not happening.  He's turned the puck over a lot lately and that puts his teammates in a bad spot.

Last night I would have benched him seeing some of his stupid plays.

I don't care what Eich did, or didn't do.  IMO, one never benches your best player.

If I were the coach and I'd like to think that the coach would not even have to approach him to do this, but I would hope that Gionta would take Jack aside and talk with him about what it means to be an NHL player.

Eichel has been a mess the past few games. I stated in another thread.

He should be benched period. He absolutely did not skate back hard on a goal and called himself out for it. However, on the power play he was a mess. He's lost and he needs to wake up. He keeps assuming he's going to carry the puck through people and it's not happening. He's turned the puck over a lot lately and that puts his teammates in a bad spot.

Last night I would have benched him seeing some of his stupid plays.

If we took this approach with every player, we legitimately wouldn't be able to ice a team.

And ultimately pointless. I could see that stuff working with kids in juniors, but the NHL? These guys are just going to look at Dan like he's an amateur.

The temporary demotion / sitting a shift won't work w/ most of the vets, but w/ the guys that ARE still kids, it can work. (Not saying it will, but it can.) It did appear to work w/ Reinhart a few games ago. He got dropped to the 4th line in the home game vs FLA & seems to have been better since then.

The problem right now is that there are maybe 2 guys on the whole squad that don't deserve to be on the 4th or 5th line. There is something seriously wrong w/ this team's effort & attitude at present. Either Bylsma will find a way to fix that quickly or (more likely) he needs to go because he has lost this team.

The problem right now is that there are maybe 2 guys on the whole squad that don't deserve to be on the 4th or 5th line. There is something seriously wrong w/ this team's effort & attitude at present. Either Bylsma will find a way to fix that quickly or (more likely) he needs to go because he has lost this team.

This is where I am as well. If they don't come out next game like their hair is on fire then DDB needs to go ASAP.

I don't care what Eich did, or didn't do.  IMO, one never benches your best player.

If I were the coach and I'd like to think that the coach would not even have to approach him to do this, but I would hope that Gionta would take Jack aside and talk with him about what it means to be an NHL player.

The player with the most potential does not make him the best player at the time.  Sitting a player isn't always just to keep them off the ice but also allows them to take time to watch and see the game and recognize what has been going on.  Sometimes even the best player is not having a good night or a good stretch and they need to be off the ice.

If we took this approach with every player, we legitimately wouldn't be able to ice a team.

You choose your spots.

And ultimately pointless. I could see that stuff working with kids in juniors, but the NHL? These guys are just going to look at Dan like he's an amateur.

It works at every level.  These guys want nothing more than to be on the ice. They have an incredible work ethic and they take pride in their work.  It would be one thing if they didn't believe they were playing poorly and the coach was benching them but they know they are playing poorly.  They just will never take themselves off the ice...  that's why they have a coach.

The temporary demotion / sitting a shift won't work w/ most of the vets, but w/ the guys that ARE still kids, it can work. (Not saying it will, but it can.) It did appear to work w/ Reinhart a few games ago. He got dropped to the 4th line in the home game vs FLA & seems to have been better since then.

Well said.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.