The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

I heard a PSA today on the radio that said the gas company puts something in the gas to make it smell so you'll know if it's leaking, because natural gas is otherwise odorless. They said it smells like rotten eggs. Has anyone here smelled rotten eggs?

b277d5e4b3997f1861cc64b53f1906564c8303d9

It's true.  And you know what the scary part is?  When they transport natural gas by train, it's usually without the odorant.  So if a car is leaking, you can't tell.

tenor.gif

b277d5e4b3997f1861cc64b53f1906564c8303d9

Serious. I don't think I've smelled rotten eggs. Bad egg salad? Maybe. But that might be more the mayo. How long does it take an egg to go bad? I think they need a different comparison. Now... I've smelled natural gas. Sometimes the burner doesn't light right away. I wouldn't describe the smell as rotten anything. Just, uh, natural gassy.

Serious. I don't think I've smelled rotten eggs. Bad egg salad? Maybe. But that might be more the mayo. How long does it take an egg to go bad? I think they need a different comparison. Now... I've smelled natural gas. Sometimes the burner doesn't light right away. I wouldn't describe the smell as rotten anything. Just, uh, natural gassy.

It's sulfur.  

I've definitely smelled rotten eggs. We used to hide dozens of actual hard boiled eggs at my parents' house for an Easter egg hunt. Then I'd find them mowing the lawn throughout the summer months. The distinctive aspect of the odor is, as I understand it, sulfuric in nature. My grandfather used well water at his place out in Catt County -- we'd get a similar smell there as well. The public safety additive to natural gas is sulfuric as well. As you'd heard, natural gas itself has no smell ahtall. 

I remember learning this when I hiked to the eternal flame at Chestnut Ridge in my early 20s. Someone in our group put out the flame with a bucket of water (so that we could re-light it). I heard that low hiss of natural gas escaping the ground, and there was no smell detectable. 

I've definitely smelled rotten eggs. We used to hide dozens of actual hard boiled eggs at my parents' house for an Easter egg hunt. Then I'd find them mowing the lawn throughout the summer months. The distinctive aspect of the odor is, as I understand it, sulfuric in nature. My grandfather used well water at his place out in Catt County -- we'd get a similar smell there as well. The public safety additive to natural gas is sulfuric as well. As you'd heard, natural gas itself has no smell ahtall. 

I remember learning this when I hiked to the eternal flame at Chestnut Ridge in my early 20s. Someone in our group put out the flame with a bucket of water (so that we could re-light it). I heard that low hiss of natural gas escaping the ground, and there was no smell detectable. 

You put out the eternal flame?

Do pickles go bad without the juice? My crazy kid knocked over the container and spilled all the juice out.

Question 1a. What about olives? My wife likes dirty martinis more than olives so the jar always gets to about 3/4 full of olives and like only a 3rd filled with juice.

Edited by SwampD

Do pickles go bad without the juice? My crazy kid knocked over the container and spilled all the juice out.

Question 1a. What about olives? My wife likes dirty martinis more than olives so the jar always gets to about 3/4 full of olives and like only a 3rd filled with juice.

Salt preserves.  But not as long as salt and vinegar.  Don't throw them out.  Eat them more quickly than normal.

Salt preserves.  But not as long as salt and vinegar.  Don't throw them out.  Eat them more quickly than normal.

I know you're a meat guy. This is a really basic question that I could probably even look up quickly but I'll ask it anyway because otherwise I'm throwing out something really nice. 

Somebody made me this dish to go in the freezer, and I pulled it out to defrost overnight and had it in the oven today. I was really looking forward to it. It smelled great, was so thoughtful too. Just before digging in I asked to make sure that they cooked the chicken before freezing it. They told me that they defrosted chicken in the microwave, cut it up for the dish, put it in the dish, and then when they were finished making it froze it again. I immediately threw the entire thing out. 

I'm under the impression that you can ONLY refreeze thawed meat if you cook it first or defrosted it IN THE REFRIGERATOR. Was I right to toss this dish? It tore my heart to pieces to do so. 

I know you're a meat guy. This is a really basic question that I could probably even look up quickly but I'll ask it anyway because otherwise I'm throwing out something really nice. 

Somebody made me this dish to go in the freezer, and I pulled it out to defrost overnight and had it in the oven today. I was really looking forward to it. It smelled great, was so thoughtful too. Just before digging in I asked to make sure that they cooked the chicken before freezing it. They told me that they defrosted chicken in the microwave, cut it up for the dish, put it in the dish, and then when they were finished making it froze it again. I immediately threw the entire thing out. 

I'm under the impression that you can ONLY refreeze thawed meat if you cook it first or defrosted it IN THE REFRIGERATOR. Was I right to toss this dish? It tore my heart to pieces to do so. 

Thawing in the microwave took less time than thawing in the fridge, so there was less time that the meat spent in the danger zone of 40-120 degrees.  I say it was probably fine.

I'm not a fan of thawing and then refreezing still raw food, especially meat.  1. because of opportunity for bacterial growth and 2. because freezing ruins the texture of the meat.  So freezing, thawing, freezing only makes it worse.

Thawing in the microwave took less time than thawing in the fridge, so there was less time that the meat spent in the danger zone of 40-120 degrees.  I say it was probably fine.

I'm not a fan of thawing and then refreezing still raw food, especially meat.  1. because of opportunity for bacterial growth and 2. because freezing ruins the texture of the meat.  So freezing, thawing, freezing only makes it worse.

The USFDA website is actually siding with me, which is weird because I usually overreact relative to them. Something made me feel very uneasy about it. It wasn't just defrosted, some of that meat got downright warm and was out while the dish was being prepared. I think that's why they say that. They say under no circumstances should you refreeze meat unless it was thawed in the fridge 

The fridge never gets above 37 F or below 32 F, it's a great fridge. If it ever kept food above 40 I'd request a new one

You left out the warm chicken part.

Time at temp is the main issue. The more time at temp that promotes bacterial growth, the more likelihood of problem. And as the temp increases, less time is required to have unsafe food.

The FDA guidelines are probably overprotective, but noone wants to spend a couple days on the toilet. No harm in playing safe.

Granted, there’s no adventure in it either....

Edited by We've

You left out the warm chicken part.

Time at temp is the main issue. The more time at temp that promotes bacterial growth, the more likelihood of problem. And as the temp increases, less time is required to have unsafe food.

The FDA guidelines are probably overprotective, but noone wants to spend a couple days on the toilet. No harm in playing safe.

Granted, there’s no adventure in it either....

Yeah, I guess I don't know that it got warm and how warm that is, but I'm not going to assume that "defrosting in the microwave" doesn't mean doing what a typical microwave does - leaving some parts of food cold and other parts half-cooked. As far as I know after being half cooked the chicken sat out raw for an hour while the dish was made and then frozen again, and once bacteria is there, even if you freeze it to stop its life cycle, the bad things it did to the meat don't go away and will still getcha. 

Edited by Randall Flagg