The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

Need some parenting advice.

My 13 year old snapped a 40 flex kids stick in the pro shop testing the flex on it. He barely leaned on it.

Do I pay for the stick? Make him pay out of his allowance? I'm fairly certain the shop can just get a replacement from bauer as it's under warranty. I'm considering what disciplinary action to take with my son if any.

My 13 year old snapped a 40 flex kids stick in the pro shop testing the flex on it. He barely leaned on it.

Do I pay for the stick? Make him pay out of his allowance? I'm fairly certain the shop can just get a replacement from bauer as it's under warranty. I'm considering what disciplinary action to take with my son if any.

Sounds like a stick issue as opposed to a son issue, unless he was doing something ridiculous with it, which you seem to indicate he didn't.

I'm feeling like this is on the 13 year old. Kids sticks are toothpicks, and I'm betting he knows that. I'm also betting he hasn't used a kids stick in a few years and he should probably be on intermediate sticks by now, no? If that's the case, it's my teaching moment about not touching that you shouldn't be touching.

But I'm not you and he's not my kid and I just made that scenario up. Do your thing man. If it feels right, do it, if it feels wrong, it probably is.

I'm feeling like this is on the 13 year old. Kids sticks are toothpicks, and I'm betting he knows that. I'm also betting he hasn't used a kids stick in a few years and he should probably be on intermediate sticks by now, no? If that's the case, it's my teaching moment about not touching ###### that you shouldn't be touching.

But I'm not you and he's not my kid and I just made that scenario up. Do your thing man. If it feels right, do it, if it feels wrong, it probably is.

Yeah, it was a junior stick, he's been using intermediate sticks for a while now. He shouldn't have flexed it, but he's grown a ton in the last few months and I don't think be realized he could snap it. Knowing him he wouldn't intentionally try to break it. But I feel like there's a lesson to be tought here so I'll give it some thought.

The pro shop guy wanted me to pay for the stick and I asked why they couldn't just return it for replacement under warranty. I feel like maybe I should've paid for it just to show my kid how to take responsibility for your actions... but then again maybe the stick was defective or already partially cracked.

but

Did you see it happen?  If you saw it, and if you don't think your son did anything out of the ordinary (or if you didn't see it but you trust him that he didn't do anything wrong), then I wouldn't make him pay for it.  The stick isn't supposed to break under those conditions, and the store knows that potential customers are going to handle the sticks a bit before buying them. 

OTOH, If he was goofing around with it, being careless, pretending to pole vault with it, etc. -- then I would make him pay for it.

Did you see it happen?  If you saw it, and if you don't think your son did anything out of the ordinary (or if you didn't see it but you trust him that he didn't do anything wrong), then I wouldn't make him pay for it.  The stick isn't supposed to break under those conditions, and the store knows that potential customers are going to handle the sticks a bit before buying them. 

OTOH, If he was goofing around with it, being careless, pretending to pole vault with it, etc. -- then I would make him pay for it.

buy it and ask for a refund due to your unused stick breaking? I know they had 30 day warranties on composite sticks when they first got popular

• 2 weeks later...

Started working out after taking the advice from some of you

I hate it

But

I really enjoy the feeling of it afterwards. So I think I'll keep it going for awhile

It's funny.. before breaking my leg, I was in a pretty bad slump when it came to working out. I was just active enough to not be putting on much weight, but really could have benefitted mentally and physically from exercising more.

Then with the broken ankle, I was couped up from Dec 14 until this past week. Now I'm walking without the boot and feeling great, but I'm supposed to take it very easy for the next 6 weeks. And it's killing me. Even though I wasn't working out before, it's like I can't wait to jump into a routine. Almost like the injury was a wake up call and reenergized me.

Glad you're feeling better. Keep at it and hopefully the exercise becomes habitual, and the good vibes just become normal. That's always my struggle, turning short term dedication into a long term habit. Best of luck!

I hate it

But

I really enjoy the feeling of it afterwards. So I think I'll keep it going for awhile

That's it exactly.  You just feel like a million dollars for the rest of the day, and you sleep like a baby.

I hate it

But

My two cents: find a workout program you actually enjoy. While a transactional approach can work for some, I've found that most who do so don't stick with it long term. Enjoyment of the workout itself, however, keeps people going for the long haul.

Shannon Hoon once sang "my faith is falling like the leaves of a tree, might as well take it away...". The iron worker is finally broken....

I know that name from a song by a band I like.

Anyway - what gives?

No vague-spacing allowed here.

I hate it

But

This is it for me exactly. And I've been going for a few months now, so I think I've made it a routine.

And yet ...

My two cents: find a workout program you actually enjoy. While a transactional approach can work for some, I've found that most who do so don't stick with it long term. Enjoyment of the workout itself, however, keeps people going for the long haul.

I would like to get there. The main problem, for me, is the rising time. If I'm going to get my workout done, I need to get up before the chickens. I think that's really the part I hate.

Oh, snap - it's the dude from Blind Melon?!

Edited by That Aud Smell

It's funny.. before breaking my leg, I was in a pretty bad slump when it came to working out. I was just active enough to not be putting on much weight, but really could have benefitted mentally and physically from exercising more.

Then with the broken ankle, I was couped up from Dec 14 until this past week. Now I'm walking without the boot and feeling great, but I'm supposed to take it very easy for the next 6 weeks. And it's killing me. Even though I wasn't working out before, it's like I can't wait to jump into a routine. Almost like the injury was a wake up call and reenergized me.

Glad you're feeling better. Keep at it and hopefully the exercise becomes habitual, and the good vibes just become normal. That's always my struggle, turning short term dedication into a long term habit. Best of luck!

Felt the same way when I sprained my mcl last winter. It sucked

Any suggestions?

@nfreeman

Pretty much exactly what I needed. Just gotta find the time of day to stick with it.

For me, a workout program where I can actually feel/see the difference/gains made all the difference. Just going to the gym and staring at the scale/mirror/going up a few pounds in the weights just wasn't much motivation. That's why I love my aerial stuff. Couldn't hold myself up when I started. Can slowly control flips and lifts, dead hang with legs straight in front of me, chinups, hold others, etc. and that's addictive. I couldn't tell you what I can bench, but I can tell you I can easily lift a 160 pound woman! 

Stuff like rock climbing has that same feeling. Maybe you can do something like that. Class formats or a buddy help me. Just guilt and a membership means my lazy ass just doesn't go. 

Anyway - what gives?

No vague-spacing allowed here.

This is it for me exactly. And I've been going for a few months now, so I think I've made it a routine.

And yet ...

I would like to get there. The main problem, for me, is the rising time. If I'm going to get my workout done, I need to get up before the chickens. I think that's really the part I hate.

Oh, snap - it's the dude from Blind Melon?!

Many years of too much danger, too many hours, too few hours, too many deaths. I'm not shy. I'll admit that I have been heavily involved with LU politics for many years. I've been a GD hard working guy for the members. I have a deeply rooted belief that our organization is the best route for anyone looking for a good life. Suddenly things happen(this we shall not speak about) and suddenly the entirety of your life's work hangs on the whim of a particular person's executive decree. You spend years. You sacrifice body parts. Then you watch your brown friends panic at the decrees.(we welcome and fight for everyone equally)You see contractors tighten their grip on your nuts. You eventually make the realization that your pension (which is nearly 100% funded) faces the threat from the thing that happened that we won't all talk about. You realize that everything that you've fought tooth and nail for for an entire lifetime is for nothing. It breaks you. Even if for one moment.

Many years of too much danger, too many hours, too few hours, too many deaths. I'm not shy. I'll admit that I have been heavily involved with LU politics for many years. I've been a GD hard working guy for the members. I have a deeply rooted belief that our organization is the best route for anyone looking for a good life. Suddenly things happen(this we shall not speak about) and suddenly the entirety of your life's work hangs on the whim of a particular person's executive decree. You spend years. You sacrifice body parts. Then you watch your brown friends panic at the decrees.(we welcome and fight for everyone equally)You see contractors tighten their grip on your nuts. You eventually make the realization that your pension (which is nearly 100% funded) faces the threat from the thing that happened that we won't all talk about. You realize that everything that you've fought tooth and nail for for an entire lifetime is for nothing. It breaks you. Even if for one moment.

Aye and oy.

Be well.

<3 

Any suggestions?

@nfreeman

Pretty much exactly what I needed. Just gotta find the time of day to stick with it.

Nope. Not being a dick, I honestly don't. I'm my experience workout preference is an incredibly idiosyncratic thing. My advice would be to try a bunch of different stuff for like a week each and figure it out from there. That said, I'm a big proponent of functional exercises for people who aren't your traditional gym rat. Ropes, tires, jumping. Stuff like that.

How f'ed is my line of thinking?

It's 75 degrees here today. My kid decided he'd go ride his bike. He's in the garage, checking his tires, putting on his helmet. Out the door he goes and the whole time my inner monolog is saying "Jesus Christ, lose the f'n helmet. You're 12 for Christ sake!"

I'm a moron.