Eichel turning into a superstar right in front of our eyes...

matter2003

I saw Perreault play. It's hard to compare because the game is so different. Back then there was more interference and the red line required more short passes between zones. I think there was a bigger difference between Perreault and other players with their relative speed. He would pick up the puck in the Sabres zone and go end to end past the other team. He was at his best when going full speed. I think Eichel has a better shot and can create more offense while standing still given his puckhandling skills. And as with most modern players, Eichel is in better shape compared to players like Perreault who would smoke between periods. But Perreault would create the same type of excitement whenever he started a rush down the ice.

I agree with Pastajoe.  The world must be coming to an end.

I grew up going to Sabres games at the Aud and watching the French Connection.  There has been nothing like it since.  That said, the Sabres have never had a player with Jack's skill set.  Patty, Gilbert, Turgeon, Mogilny, Hawerchuk were all great players, but there truly is something about Jack.  I think it might be the mix of great speed, shot, hands and hockey IQ.  He seems to know, almost inherently, what the right play is and he is able to further elevate his game when the team needs it as we saw the last 2 games.  Seriously, has he ever scored a non-highlight reel goal?

I saw Perreault play. It's hard to compare because the game is so different. Back then there was more interference and the red line required more short passes between zones. I think there was a bigger difference between Perreault and other players with their relative speed. He would pick up the puck in the Sabres zone and go end to end past the other team. He was at his best when going full speed. I think Eichel has a better shot and can create more offense while standing still given his puckhandling skills. And as with most modern players, Eichel is in better shape compared to players like Perreault who would smoke between periods. But Perreault would create the same type of excitement whenever he started a rush down the ice.

I saw Perreault play as well. It was a different game back then. Someone posted a youtube link quite a while back with the Sabres playing one of the Soviet teams. I want to say it was the Red Army, but I don't think that's right. In any case, what surprised me about that game in retrospect - which we won 12-6 - is how slow the defensemen were: especially ours. Gil was pretty fast, but what made him special was how shifty he was.

In his prime once or twice a game he would take the puck behind our net. Stand still and watch the opposition. He would then wheel through the entire opposition, stick handling, and changing direction like a mad man. Ted Darling would call it: "Here comes Perreault, winding up at center." Old school defensemen were too slow and plodding to check him by the time he hit the opposite blue line. By the top of the circle he was usually in all alone. He would move the puck from left to right and back again. Old school goalies were of the stand up variety. It was easy, it was magic. 

The one difference between Perreault and Eichel is that Eichel is much more of a shooter than Perreault was. It seems funny to complain about a guy with over 500 goals to say he should have shot more, but it is true. I remember games where Perreault would give up a good scoring chance to make a pass for a better scoring chance. Sometimes it didn't work out. Maddening. Eichel seems to be a much more of a shoot first guy. And he seems to be a more accurate shooter. 

Edited by 2_minutes_4_roughing

I saw Perreault play as well. It was a different game back then. Someone posted a youtube link quite a while back with the Sabres playing one of the Soviet teams. I want to say it was the Red Army, but I don't think that's right. In any case, what surprised me about that game in retrospect - which we won 12-6 - is how slow the defensemen were: especially ours. Gil was pretty fast, but what made him special was how shifty he was.

In his prime once or twice a game he would take the puck behind our net. Stand still and watch the opposition. He would then wheel through the entire opposition, stick handling, and changing direction like a mad man. Ted Darling would call it: "Here comes Perreault, winding up at center." Old school defensemen were too slow and plodding to check him by the time he hit the opposite blue line. By the top of the circle he was usually in all alone. He would move the puck from left to right and back again. Old school goalies were of the stand up variety. It was easy, it was magic. 

The one difference between Perreault and Eichel is that Eichel is much more of a shooter than Perreault was. It seems funny to complain about a guy with over 500 goals to say he should have shot more, but it is true. I remember games where Perreault would give up a good scoring chance to make a pass for a better scoring chance. Sometimes it didn't work out. Maddening. Eichel seems to be a much more of a shoot first guy. And he seems to be a more accurate shooter. 

Watched Perreault his entire career and you're spot on.  One thing with Perreault, is that he would not lose any speed as he coasted.  And he could go wide 10 feet with one crossover.  IMO, he and Paul Coffey were the best two skaters I ever saw.

Watched Perreault his entire career and you're spot on.  One thing with Perreault, is that he would not lose any speed as he coasted.  And he could go wide 10 feet with one crossover.  IMO, he and Paul Coffey were the best two skaters I ever saw.

Orr and Bure have to be in my team picture as well.

Please post more. Us 50 and over need all the help we can get in here!

Of course comparing the two is not fair and the comparison can never really be made.

It was a different game then vs now. But there is a common between them that they can mesmerize a crowd. I love Jack more than anything and I think Gil comparison while early, is appropriate. He is unique amongst his peers as even though there are others that are great, Jack has a unique style.

I love it! 

You are correct sir! There is a different excitement we're talking about with Jack, or Gil , say vs a guy named Maxim Afinogenov. Max was able to bring you out of your seat but his total game sucked. Ask Lindy lol.  You won't ever say that about Jack or Gil.

Is there no miracle he can not effect? (Pretty sure Pi can come up w/something. :p)

My beer lageu team wn tonitr.. channed my innner Eichelkski yay. if i dodt hav hangovr tomoro the Church of Molson will be officially deem it a Eichlr miracle

Edited by pi2000

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.