OT: Thanksgiving!

ubkev

We will be having dinner with family friends. One of whom is married to the IT director for the Supreme Court of Virginia. There have been some... issues of late. I'm under strict instructions not to start a fight at the table. We'll see how it goes...

Oh, and I suppose turkey and whatnot.

I'd assume this year it's gonna be crazy at the dinner table. (picture Politics thread 11pm election night).

Lucky for me a relative is coming with their 6 month old and her and will of course need to play in the other room. :thumbsup:

Yeah, we're going to have a problem with my sister's ultra-liberal mother-in-law and my father, who has already promised to Trumpet at her from the moment she sets foot in his house.

The whole week is fun for me because my sis and her family come into town.  Taking the niece and nephew bowling on Wednesday, then my folks are keeping the kids and my sister and her husband and I will go out for a few.

Thanksgiving day itself isn't my favorite.  I don't love roasted turkey, yams, squash.  And the football is always boring, although maybe I'll do something to make it a little more interesting.

I always look forward to thanksgiving. We don't have much family these days and it's nice to see them. It usually seems to work out that I end up spending the days off working on whatever car I have and reading. Low key. No football. No family drama. Just being thankful for my family and everything I'm lucky enough to have in life.

Then it's holiday shopping season where the values we celebrate on Thanksgiving get thrown right out the window. Yuck.

I smoke a turkey on a Weber Grill and make sausage stuffing. Squash, sweet potatoes, mash potatoes, green bean casserole and gravy rounds out the meal.

Dessert is Apple, Banana Cream and Pumpkin Pie.

In attendance will be my parents and my in laws who get along quite well, so no political banter for us.

I smoke a turkey on a Weber Grill and make sausage stuffing. Squash, sweet potatoes, mash potatoes, green bean casserole and gravy rounds out the meal.

In attendance will be my parents and my in laws who get along quite well, so no political banter for us.

Now smoked turkey, that I can get into.

I should have added that B-I-L always brings a ton of shrimp the size of your fist, a ton of king crab legs, some smoked trout, and sometimes even caviar (he's a seafood supplier, or, as I like to remind him, a fishmonger), so I usually fill up on that stuff and have one small slice of turkey at dinner.

Edited by Eleven

Now smoked turkey, that I can get into.

I should have added that B-I-L always brings a ton of shrimp the size of your fist, a ton of king crab legs, some smoked trout, and sometimes even caviar (he's a seafood supplier, or, as I like to remind him, a fishmonger), so I usually fill up on that stuff and have one small slice of turkey at dinner.

Are you in need of a long lost step brother for 1 day?

I promise to roll out of the house before the turkey hits the table.

I have next week off. My son and his girlfriend are coming home from Boston to Syracuse Wed night, and he and I will be playing hockey 8am Thanksgiving day against the objections of my wife. Then we're all driving to Kenmore for dinner with my 86 year old mom, and my two sisters and brothers-in-law, and cousins.

I began smoking the Thanksgiving bird a few years ago and now our typical guests will not allow me to do it any other way.  I usually do it on my Big Green Egg, but this year I have to feed more so I'll do one on the Egg and one on the Weber rotisserie.

Mad Max Turkey

Sweet mother of God,…

When I die, I want my ashes to be put in that pan before the gravy is made and then buried.

I'm really picky when it comes to food, and we' only have 3-4 people. So there won't be too many sides, and I'll just stick to turkey, mashed potatoes, and corn. But lots of it! Lima jello and key lime pie (my specialty) for dessert.

Care to share how you do the turkey?

Sweet mother of God,…

When I die, I want my ashes to be put in that pan before the gravy is made and then buried.

I've been told that that recipe works in the oven just as well as on an egg.  Icing the breasts is a great trick so that you don't dry them out waiting for the right temp in the thighs.  And that gravy truly is the best I've ever had.

I'm not sure how he does it on his Weber, but that recipe I linked would work on a Weber (gas or charcoal) as long as you cook it indirect.

Pretty sure it wouldn't work with a small Weber. Scratch that idea.

Last year I deep fried one and it was delicious.

So I've heard. How big of a fryer did you use? Every time I cook something, I try something different the next time, every time to try to improve it. Whether it's burgers, steaks (my 50oz ribeyes are to die for), pork tenderloin....... Turkey. Frying isn't in this year, I'm just trying to figure out my next plan of attack this year.

Pretty sure it wouldn't work with a small Weber. Scratch that idea.

So I've heard. How big of a fryer did you use? Every time I cook something, I try something different the next time, every time to try to improve it. Whether it's burgers, steaks (my 50oz ribeyes are to die for), pork tenderloin....... Turkey. Frying isn't in this year, I'm just trying to figure out my next plan of attack this year.

I used a 30 quart fryer and you have to use peanut oil, and make sure you overly thaw and remove any water. I inject with a butter garlic, thyme, etc marinade depending on the day, it comes out so Damn tender, it's almost like I couldn't go back to oven turkey again

I used a 30 quart fryer and you have to use peanut oil, and make sure you overly thaw and remove any water. I inject with a butter garlic, thyme, etc marinade depending on the day, it comes out so Damn tender, it's almost like I couldn't go back to oven turkey again

Thanks, that's going to be a major consideration for next Thanksgiving. Hell, I might even try it after New Year's. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.