GDT: Buffalo at Ottawa, 7:00 PM ET, 11/05/2017

Doohickie

Ottawa, Quebec City and Montreal all do winter right.

I'm going to catch up now.

Hey now. Have you seen Buffalo lately? How bout a shoutout for winter skating and biking and things in Canalside? And the occasional real winter? October storm, November storm etc. We're kinda like whatever chicken chain that says we do chicken right except, we do winter right!

We wouldn't have a goal if Ryan Vinz was in net for Ottawa.

Man we really did that didn't we lol. Ryan Vinz sitting on the bench.

Starting to get a little disappointed in Reino.  Expected something special this year.  Doesn't look like 2nd overall special this year, yet.

GWG's will do that to you I guess lol

Robin Lehner

Installing beastmode .............................................. 100%    :worthy:

YEAH! Lenny was the star of the show.

I've been Nelsons critic, but he is playing way better

Had a pretty smooth game tonight I thought. Obviously you need to try and protect him and by that I mean minutes and zones etc. but I won't complain about his game tonight.

I didn't want to get too excited. Waited for the puck to drop to celebrate. THANKS NHL. Or Obama.

Obama, Obettman, Obattman all the same guy.

Damn, sitting on a plan back to good ol Buffalo, appears I'm missing the boys picking it up

What's the plan then? :w00t: 

Perfect road win.

Agreed! But I was pretty sure we had lost it. First comeback after two this season. Nice job guys or GREAT job Lenny!

Games like this are why I"m still a fan of Lehner. I still feel like when he's on he's a goalie that can win his team games, and this was definitely one of them.

I'm a fan of Lenny period. I expect him to be our goalie for the next ten years. There will be plenty o games that he's not great in. Hot damn though if he can put games like this out there that's better than anyone could have hoped for.

They have 6 & possibly 7 (if Nelson shows he's ready - jury's out on that) NHL D. There does not appear to be a #8, does it?

This team gave up a LOT of high quality chances tonight. They have begun playing every other night for the forseeable future. Nelson is about to be getting forced into the fire. You comfortable w/ what they're running & more importantly, how comfortable are you w/ Strachan or Falk in there?

Taro, this may not be rational bit I don't want to see Strach here. He is a tank member. He was a tank commander of the 3rd wing. I JUST SAY NO to seeing him here again. If he's here, Matt ing Ellis is out of retirement to play quality minutes for us too! We have moved on and I will gladly suffer with a Nelson over Strach. If my option was down to Rudy or Strach I think I would have a different opinion though.

Good win tonight. Ugly first couple periods but pretty good third.

Carrier made a really nice play on the second goal by Samson. Good effort for the kid.

Lenny....###### yeah Lenny!

There's really only one reason we won tonight. Lenny.... yeah Lenny!

Ah, I do remember him.

On another note, Grant was used in every situation tonight and played a pretty darn good game.

I've been a little critical of him but I have to admit, if used properly (bad DD!) he can have a pretty effective presence (as good DD) and coach could seems to be figuring out. 

I think TM needed some guys for the A in a pinch and these guys had the potential to be two way. From what I've seen of them in the A, I'd leave them both where they are and look for an upgrade next year.

Yeah, I saw a report to that effect.  It's basically when he can take contact on the ribs.  Thing about ribs is that you can live with cracked ribs, it just hurts like hell.

That amazes me.  You would think it would require more time to heal up.

I didn't realize it but.... Ottawa's in a playoff position (#3 in the division).  And we beat 'em.

And the Sabres would be too if they'd have beaten TO.

We are close! I'd guess our lack of defensive depth is what will hold us back if anything. We can't lose McCabe, Risto or Kuli for any length of time or we might be in serious trouble.

Definitely.  I think Rayzor is a good guy, and he's gotten better at TV work, but Marty is much, much better.

some very nice puck play.  He's still #6, but he's not a disaster.

I think Foligno has been the Sabres' best forward this year after ROR and KO.

I'm not giving up on Ennis yet, but he's not where the Sabres need him to be.

Also:

-  Franson has been playing pretty well lately.

Go Sabres.

Agreed on all this, and I just don't know what to make of Ennis? He needs to produce but is the one guy who doesn't seem to have chemistry with anyone. His style of play is so different than Samson who is a touch and pass type of player while Ennis holds the puck much longer. Maybe Ennis and Okposo and Samson back with ROR?

I agree with others who've said Lehner carried the game;  While shots on goal were even (32/33  Buffalo/Ott). the Sens had more hits, more takeways,  more faceoffs won.   Lehner got, and deserved, the star.  

That being said, the team played a full 3 periods again - nice work keeping the puck in Ottawa's zone right down to the 1 minute mark of the 3rd - no way to pull the goalie early.       

So, we lose a game we should have won (Toronto) and win one we probably should have lost (tonight).  Overall, 4 regulation wins in the last 5 games, and the one loss a tough one.    Did someone throw a switch with this team?  Much, much improved.    IF we can beat Boston Monday night,  we'll be at .500!   

I don't even know who they are so I'm guessing not very. I guess my question would be is our D depth that much different from other teams. I honestly am pretty happy with how they all are playing and still think the shortcomings of our team are still on offense.

Don't know where it is versus other teams (too busy to follw 3/4's of the league these days, much less know their 8's & 9's), but it's at least 1 shallower than last year's Sabres. He wasn't a world beater by any stretch but if another injury hits having Colaiacovo rather than Falk coming in could be the difference in Kulikov & Ristolainen having to play 25 minutes per night or 30 minutes. (Weber would look pretty good at 7/8 as well.) There were better options at 8 out there. Maybe TM thought Fowler or a Minny D would've come though & then Franson was 7 & Nelson 8, which would be even better than having Weber or Cola.

Marty should be up in the booth and Rayzor should go back between the benches....

That would be a perfect scenario 

No, you're right.

Did someone throw a switch with this team?  Much, much improved.    IF we can beat Boston Monday night,  we'll be at .500!   

The team was better than their start.  They just had to adjust to losing 1/3 of their top six forwards at the seasons outset.

Don't know where it is versus other teams (too busy to follw 3/4's of the league these days, much less know their 8's & 9's), but it's at least 1 shallower than last year's Sabres. He wasn't a world beater by any stretch but if another injury hits having Colaiacovo rather than Falk coming in could be the difference in Kulikov & Ristolainen having to play 25 minutes per night or 30 minutes. (Weber would look pretty good at 7/8 as well.) There were better options at 8 out there. Maybe TM thought Fowler or a Minny D would've come though & then Franson was 7 & Nelson 8, which would be even better than having Weber or Cola.

FYI, Weber ended up with the Iowa Wild for the time being.

Am I reading the standings right? We're a point back from a wild card with a game in hand?

We'd be IN a playoff spot if we'd have beaten TO.

Wait this actually happened? We were good with possession?

At times, yes.  The first goal was a puck possession, wear out the other team's D, goal.

And interestingly, the Risto assist on the winning goal was not a shot from the point.  It was Risto streaking right down the center of the ice, receiving a pass from the point from Carrier who'd carried the puck in.  Risto received the pass between the circles and passed it over to Girgs who took the shot that Reino got to the rebound of.

The flow of the game was this:  Ottawa carried the play early and disrupted the Sabres flow, finally scoring a goal in the second period.  It seemed like the Sens eased up bit after that, and the Sabres pulled themselves together.  By the time the third period started, the Sabres were controlling the puck much better and managed to score two goals.  After the second goal was scored, there was a four minute double minor for high stick which the Sabres did admirably.  The Sens only got maybe two scary looking shots, and Lehner was not going to let this one get away.  The Sabres pressured the Sens late in the game too, preventing them from pulling the goalie until the last minute.

Edited by High Ankle Sprain

I've always liked Carrier, since watching him several times in the AHL.  He's a definite upgrade in some senses over D-Lo, though I love Des for what he his.  Move Foligno and keep Carrier up all season.

So keep Des because we love him, move Foligno to make room for Carrier? How about Des never plays again, and we have Foligno and Carrier on the team?

Yes, let's trade the guy who is

• on pace for a 14-goal, 28-point season
  • who is leading the team in hits
  • who second in takeaways
  • who is +3 playing against the other team's best lines
  • who is killing penalties regularly on an effective unit
  • who is forcing turnovers with his effective board play
  • who is one of a small handful of our guys who can throw 'em when needed

And is now 50 games into showing a consistency that only comes with experience.

And let's do it just so we can make room for player who looks like Foligno did three years ago who we hope can be as good as Foligno is now.

Just what do you guys think a third-line NHLer does?

* (That's what I would be posting here if I wasn't tired of being the only Foligno supporter on this board.)

I would rather be talking about a playoff spot in April than in early November, but I get it.

We are close now and the season is long.  I hope that the Sabres are healthy and in contention in March, if not April.  I have visions of the Sabres playing meaningful games in late March and early April.  One of these years it will happen.

And let's do it just so we can make room for player who looks like Foligno did three years ago who we hope can be as good as Foligno is now.

* (That's what I would be posting here if I wasn't tired of being the only Foligno supporter on this board.)

I'm here with you man. He's been great.

I support Foligno

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.