GDT: Buffalo at Edmonton, 7:00pm, 10/16/16

darksabre

We had a huge offseason discussion on this. If a team acquires a player with a NMC that hasn't kicked in yet, the team is not required to honor the NMC.

Interesting, I looked at capfriendly and they list the NMC but in a footnote they say the trade may have voided the clause. It's also clear that the clause wasn't in effect at the time of the trade. Really interesting.

EDIT: I looked at the CBA and it says a NMC can be placed in a contract and become active once the players reaches the year they could become a group 3 UFA. This is why Bogo's NMC is listed in the 3rd year of his contract and not before. It doesn't say anything about it being voided if traded before activated. Do you have a link that shows why it may be voided?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

If he could pot a few more goals it would sure make him a more valuable player. Hope they come

It is amazing how many chances he creates in tight spaces and cannot get the puck to the net. I hope his luck changes.

Remember when the Oilers traded Taylor Hall to get better defensively? Was anybody the least bit impressed with Larsson (their Larsson) tonight? 

I thought his hit on Talbot was outstanding.

The Sabres looked far more patient tonight with the puck.  The game against Montreal they were all stone hands. Pucks were bouncing off sticks like crazy.  It reminded me of the Nolan system.

Tonight was much more like last year. Patience with the puck and make a good outlet pass. 

That said, Edmonton is not as physical as Montreal or as fast. Montreal's speed was a huge factor.  Forget where I heard it but it was somewhere on the broadcast tonight... Edmonton and Toronto are both playing a "hell with the defense" style right now.  If they can't get the goals they are going to be in trouble because they will give some up.  It's entertaining... if you win.

Like what I am seeing.. but Franson is killing me.  Each time he touches the puck I cringe that something bad is going to happen.

I thought his hit on Talbot was outstanding.

The Sabres looked far more patient tonight with the puck.  The game against Montreal they were all stone hands. Pucks were bouncing off sticks like crazy.  It reminded me of the Nolan system.

Tonight was much more like last year. Patience with the puck and make a good outlet pass. 

That said, Edmonton is not as physical as Montreal or as fast. Montreal's speed was a huge factor.  Forget where I heard it but it was somewhere on the broadcast tonight... Edmonton and Toronto are both playing a "hell with the defense" style right now.  If they can't get the goals they are going to be in trouble because they will give some up.  It's entertaining... if you win.

Like what I am seeing.. but Franson is killing me.  Each time he touches the puck I cringe that something bad is going to happen.

I texted a friend the same exact quote about Franson. It is even more frustrating when a simple safe option presents itself and he still fumbles it away.

Josh Gorges can't do a lick with the puck on his stick, but the man can defend. Great game by Josh.

Kyle Okposo is everything we hated Drew Stafford for not being.

That's a +2 for Foligno on the "but can he be consistent?" watch.

And you gotta love Johan Larsson.

It's like he wasn't even there and still outplayed McDavid (thank you Josh Gorges).

Yep, Gorges completely shut him down. Excellent game by the old vet.

Had thought they'd win 2 of 3 on this western Canadian swing, but did not see this as 1 of the 2 W's. Calgary must be even worse than advertised. ;)

Larsson with 20:09...   Second among our forwards to O'Reilly's 20:32. Bylsma can learn to lean on the Johan more, freeing O'Reilly for offense.

Really?  Good for Larsson!  When he was out there he looked great.

Maroon, Lucic, Kassian, they got a goon on every line, its a bit much :P

And all it did was get McJesus roughed up by Gorges.

Like PHam was saying, Gorges deserves a TON of credit for this game. That might hurt some here to say that.  :angel:

The Canadian broadcast team fully concur with that assessment.

That was fun, and unexpected. 

Oilers gave up tremendous value in Taylor Hall, and are still a defensive mess. Cam Talbot blows too. 

I'm tellin ya, Johan Larsson is very important to this team. You load him with defensive minutes, and then don't even realize it because he spends those shifts terrorizing the offensive zone. Gionta still has some finish in him, and Foligno makes space perfectly.

I saw some BRILLIANT boardwork by Fasching. Love it.

Not sure what Des - Grant - Ennis was supposed to be. Didn't see much of them

Defensemen were all good aside from some blunders (most by Franson) Josh Gorges did good. Risto has four points in two games, doesn't he?

Lucic still a POS

KO, ROR, and Samson. I wanna get Eichel back so bad and watch him play with some combination of these guys. They're all so smart.

I thought it'd be years before we saw another Sabre score a goal like Legwand did in Columbus last year. Thanks Talbot! 

Oh, and why the does every team like to go after Samson? LEAVE HIM ALONE

Good win. Go get two more.

The team looks extremely well coached.  What especially stood out to me was the dominant forechecking.  The Sabres of the last x number of years would send one skater at the puck carrier and the guy would sort of waive at the carrier and nonchalantly drift away from him.  Tonight we were frequently sending two skaters deep into the zone to really harass the puck handler and make the breakout very difficult.  Aside from the forecheck, we were on the puck all night and hitting like it mattered.  BTW, Lucic remains a p---k, and it's clearly rubbing off on other Oilers.

Interesting, I looked at capfriendly and they list the NMC but in a footnote they say the trade may have voided the clause. It's also clear that the clause wasn't in effect at the time of the trade. Really interesting.

EDIT: I looked at the CBA and it says a NMC can be placed in a contract and become active once the players reaches the year they could become a group 3 UFA. This is why Bogo's NMC is listed in the 3rd year of his contract and not before. It doesn't say anything about it being voided if traded before activated. Do you have a link that shows why it may be voided?

No. It's on the forums somewhere, but I honestly have no desire to look for it. Perhaps it's in the section on trades (in the CBA)? 

I know it's only one game but Okposo is everything I hoped Kane could be. An absolute beast of a power forward.

This is how I feel. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Individually Negotiated Limitations on Player Movement.

(a)

The SPC of any Player who is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent under Article

10.1(a) may contain a no-Trade or a no-move clause. SPCs containing a no-Trade or a no-move

clause may be entered into prior to the time that the Player is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent

so long as the SPC containing the no-Trade or no-move clause extends through and does not

become effective until the time that the Player qualifies for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency.

If the Player is Traded or claimed on Waivers prior to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking

effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring Club. An acquiring Club may agree to continue to

be bound by the no-Trade or no-move clause, which agreement shall be evidenced in writing to

the Player, Central Registry and the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof.

Edited by Ducky

Great game...

Risto still had a couple of brain farts to overcome, but skated much better and thought he played tougher...

Franson is Franson, can't wait till he is gone.

Kulikov was great... Skated the puck outta harms way a couple of times, played tough and seemed to be a good passer, didn't make mistakes.  Not sure I want him with Franson but at this point not sure where else he should be.  Franson's size helps him if only he would skate.

Bogo was unnoticed... a good thing.

Ennis Grant and 44 were Meh... started to see Ennis skate with the puck with some confidence... took a tough hit and that seemed to energize him in the third almost like he needed that to prove he wasn't going to be concussed again and it was okay to be Ennis.... look to see him take another step forward next game.  Folks he is coming, but baby step.  

Molson still have great hands and we will see if he can keep up the hustle.

Fasching is finally coming around... still want to see the big man be more physical.  It would be nice to have Larson on with Foligno and Fasching when the Sabres needed to meet out some punishment... till then like the fact that Girgenson played some with them looked servicable...  had a great hustle checking line going tonite. 

Get well Jack and Evander....

[Haven't read the thread yet]

Great game, great win!

Larsson was a beast as usual.  Grant getting PP time over him is ridiculous.  I'm so glad Johan picked up where he left off last season. Great night for Gionta as well.

Foligno looked like a plug in the first period, but got better as the game went on.  I like him working the boards for Gionta and Larsson, but I'd love it if our depth could push him down to the 4th line.

Ennis played the part of an energy guy pretty well tonight.  I don't know if this is part of Hot Daniel's plan to get Ennis going, but getting him to start with a solid simple game might be a good way to go.  I still don't agree with having him play with Deslauriers and Fasching.  Other than the last shift where he held the puck behind the net for a while, I didn't notice Fasching at all.

Another great game by Bogo and McCabe.  Those two look really comfortable together, and McCabe especially looks confident with the puck.

Risto was good.  His 1st period started a little rocky, but he was instrumental in this win.  He was methodical and slowed down just about every play he could: cutting off passing angles and keeping the fast Edmonton forwards digging on the boards. I'd love to see him with not Gorges.  Not to knock Gorges, he played a nice game as well, I'm just sick of seeing the flow of our attack die down every time Risto goes D to D.

Reinhart was a little awkward on the boards in the O zone, but other than that I thought he played the left side well.  He was really nifty the way he'd protect the puck on the outside then pick the perfect moment to open up towards the center and pass it.  I'd like for Reinhart to have more of an effect 5 on 5.  He really seems like the kind of player that would thrive with the play flowing through him as often as possible.  Please, Hot Dan, get this kid at center soon.

Okposo was smooth.  His playmaking was on display tonight.  What a great signing.

O'Reilly looked faster today.  Great game as usual from him.

Bless Matt Moulson.  He worked his ass off 5 on 5, even though he often didn't win us possession back.  That goal was the first time I've seen him look like a confident shooter in over a year.  The first one was mostly Reinhart, that one was mostly Moulson.  Awesome for him.

Kulikov looked good with the puck, but struggled at times in the D-zone.  Both Edmonton goals looked like poor decisions while backing up to catch up with the play.  Could be rust, injury related, or a lack of chemistry with Franson.

Lehner made some more awesome saves tonight.  The only time I get worried is when he has to recover from a save when the puck remains in play.  He seems a little bit slow to get back to the line, but maybe that's just part of having a monster huge goalie.  Nice game by him.

McDavid was largely kept in check by our team defense, but he still had 2 or 3 phenomenal passes that could've easily ended in goals.

Edited by qwksndmonster

A quote from my friend on FB:

:nana:

Glad you hung in there with us!

You have no idea how hard that was during the two tank years, staying up until 04.00 am  to see us get overrun.   :(

I loved the no-look pass by Okposo on the 2nd goal. He had his eyes on the net the entire time. @ :51

https://www.nhl.com/video/oreillys-power-play-goal/t-282728442/c-45381103

That was a PP I haven't even seen last year, a pass like that hell maybe even 4 years :p

Edited by Huckleberry

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.