GDT: Buffalo at Edmonton, 7:00pm, 10/16/16

darksabre

Girgensons TOI got cut way back right after he didn't help his Dmen on either Oiler goal. He was late getting back on both if you watch the tape. After that he only played in spurts and I'm guessing he missed an assignment. DD also played the ROR and Larsson lines multiple minutes in the 2 period and for good reason they were both outstanding in that game.

Foligno for all the bashing he receives on this site, really plays well with Larsson and Gionta as the old vet knows where to play off both of them. That line was really impressive this game

Love that line. It's a playoff line

I've watched a bit more than half of the first two games. As I think maybe you're aware (was it someone else with whom I engaged on the subject?), I allowed myself to develop something of an off season man crush on this guy. It's taken just this amount of regular season hockey to make me question what I had in mind.

It's easy to fall in love with a guy like Deslauriers when you're watching two of the worst teams ever assembled (I loved him during the tank years too, and overrated his actual hockey ability). But when put on a team with real talent and playoff aspirations, I think its blatantly obvious the guy doesn't belong.

Observations:

Robin Lehner needs to work on his rebound control.

Our backcheck needs to improve.

Okposo, Reinhart, ROR are 3 of the smartest players I have watched and for the first time in years I saw a line consistently slow the game down.  

Matt Moulson is better but Al Montoya is hot garbage. 

Connor McDavid was disappointing. He was a non factor.

Rasmus was better this game but still looked like crap. Jake McCabe is currently our best defender and was fantastic last night. 

We should work on passing in every practice if that is the result. 

We should come back East with Cam Fowler on the team. We need to figure out how to make that happen without breaking our bank. Ennis, Zemgus are prime candidates and I would consider giving up our 1st in 2017 if it was lottery protected. 

I enjoy games more when I am not also on SS. 

Edited by LGR4GM

It's been a while since I criticized Risto's game so here it goes..

Risto had a nice offensive game.   He moved the puck well out of his end and made good decisions on the power play.    However, he still looks lost in his own end at times, especially when things get scrambly by the net.   He gets caught staring at and playing the puck instead of engaging a body.    He also still lacks that quick first step when transitioning from backwards to forwards skating, or from a stand still,  which was very noticeable against a fast team like the Oilers.    McCabe has that foot speed and quickness, which is where the NHL is trending these days.    Unfortunately, I'm afraid this team will continue to get exploited by faster teams until guys like Gorges, Franson, even Bogo are gone from this team.   Sure Bogo is fast at top speed, but he has no quickness, he can't get to loose pucks quick enough in the corners, or make a quick escape with the puck on this stick.

That said, Risto can still eventually be a highly effective defender, but we need more McCabe like skaters on the back-end to consistently compete in today's NHL.   

The team looks extremely well coached.  What especially stood out to me was the dominant forechecking.  The Sabres of the last x number of years would send one skater at the puck carrier and the guy would sort of waive at the carrier and nonchalantly drift away from him.  Tonight we were frequently sending two skaters deep into the zone to really harass the puck handler and make the breakout very difficult.  Aside from the forecheck, we were on the puck all night and hitting like it mattered.  BTW, Lucic remains a p---k, and it's clearly rubbing off on other Oilers.

This got me to thinking.  Montreal used the same forecheck against the Sabres.  As near as I can tell they were going 2-1-2 on the forecheck and that's designed to either pressure slow defensemen or to keep well skating D from getting up the ice too quickly.  I think it worked on Edmonton quite well.  They want to be up tempo and if they are pushing their forwards up the ice too early the 2-1-2 should counter that fairly well as the D won't get the puck up the ice in time.

In the case of Montreal they were all over our "slow" D.  Franson, Nelson, Bogo, etc.

Like saying a PeeWee team could beat you?

This is an interesting observation (made by others as well upthread). Three or four times last night, I noticed an Oiler player giving Larsson an extra shove, slash, etc. as the play ended or moved the other way. He must be getting under people's skins, eh?

Must be his smug chin.

It's easy to fall in love with a guy like Deslauriers when you're watching two of the worst teams ever assembled (I loved him during the tank years too, and overrated his actual hockey ability). But when put on a team with real talent and playoff aspirations, I think its blatantly obvious the guy doesn't belong.

He has his place; the team needs a guy or two like that.  Steve Ott in his prime, Marcus Foligno (who has considerably more upside), Sean Avery, etc., can be effective players on a championship team.  D-Lo in my mind is in that group.  Offensively I wouldn't expect as much from him but not unreasonably to expect him to chip in a goal when the opportunity presents.

But.... if we already have Foligno and he's doing that job, do we need two of them?  Probably not. 

The one advantage of D-Lo on the roster is in that rare occasion where three D-men go down and/or in the penalty box, you can turn him around and skate him on the blue line.  He has good versatility.  But I think we've already seen his best.  He's not a problem on the team, but at some point he will be supplanted by one of the guys in Rochester.

It's been a while since I criticized Risto's game so here it goes..

Risto had a nice offensive game. He moved the puck well out of his end and made good decisions on the power play. However, he still looks lost in his own end at times, especially when things get scrambly by the net. He gets caught staring at and playing the puck instead of engaging a body. He also still lacks that quick first step when transitioning from backwards to forwards skating, or from a stand still, which was very noticeable against a fast team like the Oilers. McCabe has that foot speed and quickness, which is where the NHL is trending these days. Unfortunately, I'm afraid this team will continue to get exploited by faster teams until guys like Gorges, Franson, even Bogo are gone from this team. Sure Bogo is fast at top speed, but he has no quickness, he can't get to loose pucks quick enough in the corners, or make a quick escape with the puck on this stick.

That said, Risto can still eventually be a highly effective defender, but we need more McCabe like skaters on the back-end to consistently compete in today's NHL.

How can you say Risto looked lost defensively? He was a +1!

Love that line. It's a playoff line

Yes.  Gio/Larsson/Foligno is a good line for the playoffs.

This is an interesting observation (made by others as well upthread). Three or four times last night, I noticed an Oiler player giving Larsson an extra shove, slash, etc. as the play ended or moved the other way. He must be getting under people's skins, eh?

A Big Ball of Hate, perhaps?  :D

He has his place; the team needs a guy or two like that. Steve Ott in his prime, Marcus Foligno (who has considerably more upside), Sean Avery, etc., can be effective players on a championship team. D-Lo in my mind is in that group. Offensively I wouldn't expect as much from him but not unreasonably to expect him to chip in a goal when the opportunity presents.

But.... if we already have Foligno and he's doing that job, do we need two of them? Probably not.

The one advantage of D-Lo on the roster is in that rare occasion where three D-men go down and/or in the penalty box, you can turn him around and skate him on the blue line. He has good versatility. But I think we've already seen his best. He's not a problem on the team, but at some point he will be supplanted by one of the guys in Rochester.

The players you listed are far and away better hockey players than Deslauriers. Deslauriers is Pat Kaleta without the defensive acumen.

Or that Bogosian was bad, he was a +3

Who said Bogo was bad?   I liked his game last night, can't really put my finger on any glaring mistakes he made.    That's the thing about defenseman, when you don't notice them, they're usually playing well.    

When you notice them it's usually because they missed an assignment, got caught flat footed, or whiffed on a check.    

Who said Bogo was bad?   I liked his game last night, can't really put my finger on any glaring mistakes he made.    That's the thing about defenseman, when you don't notice them, they're usually playing well.    

When you notice them it's usually because they missed an assignment, got caught flat footed, or whiffed on a check.    

True.

I will say I have noticed Jake McCabe a lot this season and it has been for good things.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.