Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

Ink, that's my favorite movie ever. It's just ###### awesome.

One of mine, too. God it's good. 

What is Gamergate?

To summarize-

a few years back a female developer (Zoe Quinn) broke up with her developer bf who, depending on who you believe, said she only dated/slept with him for favorable reviews on the game she was making. What followed was a misogynistic sh!tstorm under the banner/disguise of "ethics in journalism".

Death threats, doxxing, bots, lots of horrible stuff started raining down on any woman in the industry. Around that time, a woman named Anita Sarkeesian started doing a youtube series called Feminist Frequency, which looked into problematic tropes facing women in video games. As you can imagine, she got it too, with bomb threats called into hotels where she was speaking, etc. There's a subreddit called KotakuInAction (KIA) that really fostered the fear of it, and they steadily moved towards alt-right ideation and imagery. Good ol' Pepe the Frog was misappropriated from his chill stoner creator Matt Furie's comics and given a creepy meaning there first. Well, 4chan first, then KIA. 

Women in video games, including myself, started to get all kinds of horrible direct messages, ranging from dick pics/verbal harrassment to rape and death threats. And in a few cases it was obviously a misguided 14 year old mouthbreather, but I'd say that most of the ones my friends and I received were bots. Women spoke up. And were summarily told to fu*k off. And then well, bots and other things got involved in a sticky little election and I just won't go there here for fear of ban hammers. 

Now, you may think, well, jo, if you just had kept quiet, you wouldn't have received hate messages. Well, fun story, I never engaged in any online arguments about it. My profiles on various social media simply said I was a game designer and that key word was enough to earn me some really fun messages. I made the mistake of liking and RT'ing a video by one of the women who was heavily targeted once- several days of hate pouring in resulted. 

I'm no stranger to this crap- I've talked on here before about the stalking/doxxing I went through in high school. But this was on a MASSIVE scale. 

I've come to hate video games and the culture they breed. It's terrible and sad. 

Saw Thor: Ragnarok yesterday. You know what? It was really fun. Silly, not the greatest plot in the world, had some dumb moments, sure, but I haven't enjoyed a superhero flick that much since the first Avengers. Plus, hey, Hemsworth. Catsuited Cate Blanchett visibly having fun as a villain. Even Hiddleston looked pretty good in this, and I'm far from one of the legions of adoring Loki fangirls. Goldblum got a little too... Goldblum sometimes, but it worked.

I just saw it tonight, and that was definitely a ton of fun. Cate Blanchett is ageless! And the Matt Damon cameo cracked me up. Can't wait for the next Avengers and Dr Strange movies!

Edited by biodork

Took the family to see "Justice League" over the weekend.  Pretty entertaining superhero movie.  More or less the same as the Avengers.

I'll also recommend "Ozark" on Netflix.  My wife and I are halfway through and are really enjoying it.  I've always found Jason Bateman kind of annoying, but he is really good in this (and I think he wrote and directed it as well).

Heard nothing but great stuff from Thor

Personally I'm sick of the superhero movies. Burnt me out when Avengers 3 came out

Do you mean the last Captain America movie (Civil War, which felt more like an Avengers movie)?  I agree that one was terrible, but I also totally agree with Jo; Ragnorok gets them back on track in a big way. 

I'm sick of them too, but Thor was what they used to be/should be in my opinion- fun. 

Absolutely.

Edited by biodork

Took the family to see "Justice League" over the weekend.  Pretty entertaining superhero movie.  More or less the same as the Avengers.

I'll also recommend "Ozark" on Netflix.  My wife and I are halfway through and are really enjoying it.  I've always found Jason Bateman kind of annoying, but he is really good in this (and I think he wrote and directed it as well).

As for Ozark, it only gets better, highly recommend it

Thor Ragnorok is amazing. My favorite marvel movie.

I saw Thor this weekend, best of the lot if you ask me. 

I heard a review on NPR today from one of their snooty, hard to please critics. The reviewer, David Edelstein, ended his review by calling the upcoming film "Call Me By Your Name" a "masterpiece." It floored me a little. Subject matter not up everyone's alley, but worth checking into, it sounds like.