Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

I watched The Ring yesterday for the first time since seeing it as a 12 year old and being scarred.

It was okay. There's some gorgeous shotmaking and the scares are all grounded and well constructed, but it's just kinda boring. My girlfriend mentioned at the beginning that every time she sees Naomi Watts she wishes it was Nicole Kidman, so I had that going through my head every time she was in frame. The weak point of this film is definitely the writing, and having someone who can tell an entire story on their face like Kidman would've elevated the work big time.

I really enjoyed the color palette, which also stuck in my mind from youth. Everything is green except for things that are red. The entire world looks like the post apocalypse. It's really on the nose, but not in a bad way. Gore Verbinski has a knack for taking it to 11 feeling natrual in his worlds.

Nothing really scared me until the end. When Samara is walking from the well to the tv screen... jesus. That's the image that lived in my subconscience for years and it's still effective. When she goes through the screen the 2002 use of special effects kills it, but there's that one moment of specialness that made this entire film worth revisiting.

Fast forward to today where Verbinski's most recent film was that 2.5 hour long piece of garbage A Cure for Wellness. It's some of the better shots of the Ring re-shot and strung together with scotch tape. Visionary director my ass.

So now I'ma watch the original Japanese version, Ringu.

I watched The Ring yesterday for the first time since seeing it as a 12 year old and being scarred.

It was okay. There's some gorgeous shotmaking and the scares are all grounded and well constructed, but it's just kinda boring. My girlfriend mentioned at the beginning that every time she sees Naomi Watts she wishes it was Nicole Kidman, so I had that going through my head every time she was in frame. The weak point of this film is definitely the writing, and having someone who can tell an entire story on their face like Kidman would've elevated the work big time.

I really enjoyed the color palette, which also stuck in my mind from youth. Everything is green except for things that are red. The entire world looks like the post apocalypse. It's really on the nose, but not in a bad way. Gore Verbinski has a knack for taking it to 11 feeling natrual in his worlds.

Nothing really scared me until the end. When Samara is walking from the well to the tv screen... jesus. That's the image that lived in my subconscience for years and it's still effective. When she goes through the screen the 2002 use of special effects kills it, but there's that one moment of specialness that made this entire film worth revisiting.

Fast forward to today where Verbinski's most recent film was that 2.5 hour long piece of garbage A Cure for Wellness. It's some of the better shots of the Ring re-shot and strung together with scotch tape. Visionary director my ass.

So now I'ma watch the original Japanese version, Ringu.

If I remember right from the time, the Japanese version was a lot better.

Fassbender used to be someone I associated with quality. A few stinkers in a row now from him. Assassin's Creed was among the worst movies I have seen.

Assassin's creed is so hilariously bad. Quality wise, it's right there with Assassin's Creed cutscenes.

Has there ever been a more promising story idea wasted for so long? At least the most recent AC game is set in ancient egypt, but seriously, ubisoft has like... negative creativity.

The Snowman was terrible.

What kinda terrible? Boring terrible? Garbage terrible? Suicide Squad terrible?

Assassin's creed is so hilariously bad. Quality wise, it's right there with Assassin's Creed cutscenes.

Has there ever been a more promising story idea wasted for so long? At least the most recent AC game is set in ancient egypt, but seriously, ubisoft has like... negative creativity.

What kinda terrible? Boring terrible? Garbage terrible? Suicide Squad terrible?

It definitely wasn't funny bad terrible, which I actually enjoy.

I'd call it "wasted potential" terrible. With the acting talent involved it should have been good. JK freaking Simmons is in it. The plotting is incoherent and the film is devoid of suspense. That's a death sentence for a thriller of this type.

Watching Mindhunter on Netflix. 

Some of the acting is wooden, but it's not bad. If you're a fan of docudramas and have interest in the advent of crime related behavioral psychology/serial killers, it's up your alley. It's staying pretty truthful to the sources, and the actor playing serial killer Ed Kemper is genuinely disturbing/spot on in his portrayal. 

Started watching it this week. Halfway through the season, and I'm not super sure how much I like it, but I'm not stopping either. Some parts are riveting, but I don't really get what the story is driving at at this point.

Started watching it this week. Halfway through the season, and I'm not super sure how much I like it, but I'm not stopping either. Some parts are riveting, but I don't really get what the story is driving at at this point.

I definitely agree with that.

If I had sat down to watch it watch it and not be half working while it was on, I'm not sure I'd have felt it was really worth my down time. There's some potential there but it's not fully baked IMO. 

They're trying to tie the development of criminal psychology and darkly interesting serial killers of the 70s to this one whiny cocky d!ckhead's rise in the FBI and I couldn't give 2 sh!ts about him. I honestly felt like I'd rather his gf was the main character. She had way more interest then "stare into the middle distance looking slightly disturbed" guy. Man, maybe he and Emilia Clark should hook up... they can stare into space at each other and it'll make riveting TV! 

Oh yeah, d4rk is watching Twin Peaks (the original) for the first time now. I didn't see the new one- anyone like it? 

Edited by Josie914

I definitely agree with that.

If I had sat down to watch it watch it and not be half working while it was on, I'm not sure I'd have felt it was really worth my down time. There's some potential there but it's not fully baked IMO. 

They're trying to tie the development of criminal psychology and darkly interesting serial killers of the 70s to this one whiny cocky d!ckhead's rise in the FBI and I couldn't give 2 sh!ts about him. I honestly felt like I'd rather his gf was the main character. She had way more interest then "stare into the middle distance looking slightly disturbed" guy. Man, maybe he and Emilia Clark should hook up... they can stare into space at each other and it'll make riveting TV! 

Oh yeah, d4rk is watching Twin Peaks (the original) for the first time now. I didn't see the new one- anyone like it? 

Haven't seen the new season, but I have heard GREAT things. 

I'm still tryna finish season 2 of twin peaks. The dvd cover of the new season is so incredibly sad.

It definitely wasn't funny bad terrible, which I actually enjoy.

I'd call it "wasted potential" terrible. With the acting talent involved it should have been good. JK freaking Simmons is in it. The plotting is incoherent and the film is devoid of suspense. That's a death sentence for a thriller of this type.

Awwwww. That's too bad.

Stranger things season 2 may not be as good as season 1 but it is damned good. Hopper is arguably my favorite character of the season.

I heard a review on NPR that said the season would be slow through the fifth episode. I mean, it had to start off a little slow after the way the first season ended. I've still found the first three episodes to be fun and compelling. A couple of cool plot twists already. I think my favorite character so far has been Will's mom's new boyfriend, the Sean Astin character.

Has anyone noticed that the Winona Ryder character is the only parent in the series who knows what the hell is going on, not specifically about the upside down but, like, what her kid is actually doing and how her kid is doing? The rest of the rents are clueless. A callback to the whole latchkey kid era, I think. I did laugh at the curly haired kid's mom asking him what's wrong, are you constipated again? (I really need to learn the names of these characters.)

Agree on Hopper. Instead of aging a year, he actually looks 10 years younger than in the first season. He's clearly coming out of his funk after his daughter's death and appears to be taking care of himself better now that he has someone else to take care of (trying to avoid a spoiler). He does need to lay off the Camels, or whatever he smokes. A hero who's not an antihero. Kind of refreshing.

Good clean fun on TV. Also refreshing.

And... I really want to punch Nancy's boyfriend in his Marchand face.