Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

I think it's really difficult to judge comic actors in retrospect. Comedies tend to be the quickest films to become antiquated by the forward march of acceptable public opinion. For example, Horrible Bosses is still funny with some hilarious performances but holy does it have SEROUS ISSUES.

I think Will Ferrell is hilarious in Talladega Nights, Elf, and Blades of Glory. When I was younger I loved the hell out of Kicking and Screaming and Anchorman. I think he's good in the Lego Movie. He's got a lotta misses too, but in general I'm endeared to Will Ferrell.

Oh god.. Stepbrothers... my then bf made me sit through that with some of his family at his aunt's house. I didn't laugh. I wanted to die. Halfway through his aunt goes "Jo why aren't you laughing? This is like the best movie ever made" I said I just wasn't a fan of Reilly or Ferrell. Then i felt horrible because she took it as a personal affront. For the rest of that godawful torture session I forced myself to laugh or smile since she was watching me like a hawk. For Christmas that year, she gave us Stepbrothers. It was like I was starring in my own crappy short... 

I've only liked one Will Ferrell movie, and it was Blades of Glory. Supremely stupid, but kinda fun. And yes, I've watched at least part of most of them. Except Elf. I've never seen Elf. 

Different strokes for different folks haha 

Elf: It's your standard Will Farrell movie, but with the added benefit of the usual the deer-in-headlights performance by Zoey Deschnell (not bothering to look it up). The thing is, I want to like Zoey since she's pretty cute, but her screen time is a LOT of those blue eyes blankly staring in the general direction of the camera.

He's definitely an acquired taste in the same vein of Bruce Campbell and Danny McBride.

If you ever get the chance check out Stranger than fiction with Him and Maggie Gyllenhal (sp?).

Every chick I've ever dated that said they hated all of Will Farrell's movies seems to make an exception for that one after I watched it with them. It's not overtly funny but it's good.

Woah there, Bruce Campbell is twice the actor Ferrell is; unless: maybe Ferrell is a really bright guy that puts on this uncomfortable moron persona all the time; in that case, he's an amazing actor. Case in point, Stranger than Fiction is really good, because it's not Will Ferrell acting like an uncomfortable moron.

Elf: It's your standard Will Farrell movie, but with the added benefit of the usual the deer-in-headlights performance by Zoey Deschnell (not bothering to look it up). The thing is, I want to like Zoey since she's pretty cute, but her screen time is a LOT of those blue eyes blankly staring in the general direction of the camera.

Ah, the manic pixie dream girl era Zoey. Well.. she kinda WAS the manic pixie dream girl. No, that title goes to whoever the female lead was in Elizabethtown. Kirsten Dunst? Or Natalie Portman in Garden State. 

Horrible Bosses... I liked it when I saw it in theatres. Loved Charlie Day being insane. I remember thinking Spacey was really good at being a creepy a$$. Wellp. 

Horrible Bosses came out like, 2 years ago. Not sure I agree with your point, but a better example might be Blazing Saddles

Horrible Bosses came out in 2011. The sequel was like two years ago I think.

Blazing Saddles doesn't fit the bill because it's a seminal piece of satirical comedic filmmaking. Its temporal context is well known and some of the satire still stands today.

Horrible Bosses is a great example because it's not firmly set in its temporality but future generations will be able to tell that it came before the Hollywood Rapture of 2017.

Sascha Baron Cohen is another tough one. Loved it at the time but now? Yikes.

Woah there, Bruce Campbell is twice the actor Ferrell is; unless: maybe Ferrell is a really bright guy that puts on this uncomfortable moron persona all the time; in that case, he's an amazing actor. Case in point, Stranger than Fiction is really good, because it's not Will Ferrell acting like an uncomfortable moron.

Bruce Campbell is God.

Guys like Will Ferrell, Danny McBride, and John Lithgow can exist on his plane, but they all hail to the king, baby!

Blazing Saddles doesn't fit the bill because it's a seminal piece of satirical comedic filmmaking. Its temporal context is well known and some of the satire still stands today.

Horrible Bosses is a great example because it's not firmly set in its temporality but future generations will be able to tell that it came before the Hollywood Rapture of 2017.

The Hollywood Rapture of 2017? I think that's way over stating it. Sure it's making headlines and creating shock now, and a few people have been fired or whatever, but it will fade and things will go back to business as usual soon enough.

Then it will be just like mass shootings. A day or two of headlines, calls for debates, and a our couch potato nation will be so up in arms that they'll make their big stand by typing a post on facebook or coming up with a viral hashtag for twitter. Then it will fade and we can start the cycle over again after some nut shoots up disneyland or some A lister like Brad Pitt goes on a serial groping spree.

Edited by Drunkard

Drunkard, I'm not interested in your take whatsoever. If we assume things won't change, they won't. Things are actually changing because people are pissed.

Those are terrible things, no doubt about it, but I can't deny what he's saying. Once I see it change I'll believe it. Remember Kony? Or any other atrocity that people get upset about? Hollywood is easily going to survive this 

Blazing Saddles was in 1974 and continuously made racist jokes including the n word a lot. The fact that it still stands the test of time shows that comedy is timeless

What's so controversial about Horrible Bosses anyways?

Drunkard, I'm not interested in your take whatsoever. If we assume things won't change, they won't. Things are actually changing because people are pissed.

Well I guess it's a good thing I don't need your permission to voice my opinion. People were pissed about Sandy Hook too and we see what all that anger accomplished.

Those are terrible things, no doubt about it, but I can't deny what he's saying. Once I see it change I'll believe it. Remember Kony? Or any other atrocity that people get upset about? Hollywood is easily going to survive this

Blazing Saddles was in 1974 and continuously made racist jokes including the n word a lot. The fact that it still stands the test of time shows that comedy is timeless

What's so controversial about Horrible Bosses anyways?

???? I'm not saying Hollywood is going to be gone. I'm saying the foundation of hollywood is finally being blown up. Hollywood has been a cesspool of powerful white men taking advantage of women all 20th century long. Even actresses that from hollywood royalty like Gweneth Paltrow weren't safe. What does that say about our societal attitude towards women that even the most privaleged women aren't safe?

People are actually starting to give a and listen to women. This is a great thing. Saying right now that things never change and won't change is just garbage and I don't wanna hear it. Times are bad, the world is sad, it's easy to be pessimistic, I get it. But people are angrier than they've ever been before. The world is changing.

Blazing Saddles is absolutely not okay by today's standards but nobody's trying to view it that way? Also, Blazing Saddles is anti-racist satire. It also has a nothing to do with my point.

Horrible Bosses is real sexist. Pretty racist too. Here's an evisceration that the brilliant Karina Longworth wrote back in 2011.

https://www.villagevoice.com/2011/07/06/white-employed-middle-class-mans-lament-horrible-bosses/

Edited by qwksndmonster

???? I'm not saying Hollywood is going to be gone. I'm saying the foundation of hollywood is finally being blown up. Hollywood has been a cesspool of powerful white men taking advantage of women all 20th century long. Even actresses that from hollywood royalty like Gweneth Paltrow weren't safe. What does that say about our societal attitude towards women that even the most privaleged women aren't safe?

People are actually starting to give a ###### and listen to women. This is a great thing. Saying right now that things never change and won't change is just garbage and I don't wanna hear it. Times are bad, the world is sad, it's easy to be pessimistic, I get it. But people are angrier than they've ever been before. The world is changing.

Blazing Saddles is absolutely not okay by today's standards but nobody's trying to view it that way? Also, Blazing Saddles is anti-racist satire. It also has a nothing to do with my point.

Horrible Bosses is real sexist. Pretty racist too. Here's an evisceration that the brilliant Karina Longworth wrote back in 2011.

https://www.villagevoice.com/2011/07/06/white-employed-middle-class-mans-lament-horrible-bosses/

People make an uproar about stuff all the time. Then they are given a new distraction, and they forget, and they're all happy again. Your President is Donald Trump, a known rapist. Mike Tyson, another rapist, is a media darling. Michael Irving, rapist, all over network tv. Hell, Larry Fitzgerald beat the out of his girl and is given the Walter Peyton of the year award. Meanwhile Kaepernick takes a knee and is the bane of existence. Tough things are tough, and people don't like tough things. Forget about something difficult, here's a new, shiny toy; here's a scapegoat, focus on this instead. And it works, every single time.

It's the same thing with mass shootings. The fervor associated with domestic vs foreign terrorism is drastically different. We've spent billions dealing with one and not the other. One has clear political and economic benefits, is easier to rally around, and is more direct to deal with; those people hurt us, we hurt them back. Problem solved. Domestic terrorism is different. This is one of us, he hurt us, we don't know why. He's dead, so there's nobody to point the finger at and go after. There is no political or economic benefits; I take a side and alienate half my constituency. Even if you do find the solution, the results aren't tangible and therefore profitable to those who have an interest in this; your backers. So what happens when we have a domestic terrorist event? We forget about it, and eventually just go back to focusing on an easier, simpler, more profitable, foreign issue. 

Maybe this uproar changes something, you can believe it will and I can believe it won't. The punishment for finally getting caught for stuff like this is pales in comparison to the years and years of rewards and benefits they reap from it. Power, sex, unimaginable wealth...and all that happens is you get fired, a garbage public apology, and then? nothing. That option has been there for thousands of years, and it will always be there. 

Sorry, guess that's my rant. I don't think I'm being pessimistic qwk, for what it's worth. 

alright

We'll see how long it lasts. Kevin Spacey didn't have a morality clause in his contract with Netflix so there's a good chance he's going to get paid even if he remains fired. I still see promos for the next upcoming season of the show Baskets on FX and guess who is an executive Producer on that show? None other than Louis CK. Woody Allen married his adopted daughter for Christ sakes and the guy still manages to get funding for movies. I don't think most of these guys will be out of work for very long. There may be one or two sacrificial lambs (many Weinstein and Spacey get blackballed or something) but the vast majority of offenders won't face much of anything long term and certainly won't see their careers end permanently.

Edit: I guess FX did fire Louis CK so I guess they'll do the show without him. He'll probably lay low for a few months then go back to doing stand up. Somebody will take the negative press to air it on some platform and it will get rave reviews and he'll launch his big comeback. It's happened before and it'll happen again.

Edited by Drunkard

We'll see how long it lasts. Kevin Spacey didn't have a morality clause in his contract with Netflix so there's a good chance he's going to get paid even if he remains fired. I still see promos for the next upcoming season of the show Baskets on FX and guess who is an executive Producer on that show? None other than Louis CK. Woody Allen married his adopted daughter and the guy still manages to get funding for movies. I don't think most of these guys will be out of work for very long. There may be one or two sacrificial lambs (many Weinstein and Spacey get blackballed or something) but the vast majority of offenders won't face much of anything long term and certainly won't see their careers end permanently.

Even if they do, they'll just be replaced by someone else. Really want something to change? Stop giving them money. The only real voice those businesses care about is your money. 

Edit: I guess FX did fire Louis CK so I guess they'll do the show without him. He'll probably lay low for a few months then go back to doing stand up. Somebody will take the negative press to air it on some platform and it will get rave reviews and he'll launch his big comeback. It's happened before and it'll happen again.

I think he's the one guy that won't even attempt a comeback. Granted, people still talk fondly about Bill Cosby.

Btw this got lost but it's a Franco and Franco movie about the infamous movie, The Room

Edited by WildCard

Let me Liger back in here after my fake exit to the conversation.This is not same old same old.

They erased Kevin Spacey entirely from All the Money in the World. Netflix instantly cancelled one of their biggest shows.

The premiere to Louis CK's next movie got cancelled the day the story broke.

Countless others are finally being rooted out, despite the fact that these accusations and stories have been around for years, sometimes even decades.  The system was built to insulate and protect these men.  Harvey Weinstein had freakin' spies following the women he abused.

These things are finally coming to light because people CARE and they're pissed as hell about it.  Hit them in the wallet? That's exactly what is happening right now.

Yes, things are still bad and human monsters are still being allowed to do whatever they want.  Mel Gibson just starred in a freakin' family friendly movie.  That's all the more reason to care about this: There's still so much more to do.  Saying "Ahhh things are all going to go back to normal." Speaks to a lack of familiarity with the stories breaking right now.  It's also a self fulfilling prophecy. That's why I got so frustrated when you guys both shared that sentiment.  We live in the Trump era, please don't accept this as normal.

It also speaks to a total disconnect with the actual victims.  If the most privileged of women are finally being heard, maybe someday we'll listen to all women when it comes to abuse.  These things don't happen in a vacuum.

Here's a heartbreaking story from Ellen Page: https://www.facebook.com/EllenPage/posts/10155212835577449

Let me Liger back in here after my fake exit to the conversation.This is not same old same old.

They erased Kevin Spacey entirely from All the Money in the World. Netflix instantly cancelled one of their biggest shows.

The premiere to Louis CK's next movie got cancelled the day the story broke.

Countless others are finally being rooted out, despite the fact that these accusations and stories have been around for years, sometimes even decades.  The system was built to insulate and protect these men.  Harvey Weinstein had freakin' spies following the women he abused.

These things are finally coming to light because people CARE and they're pissed as hell about it.  Hit them in the wallet? That's exactly what is happening right now.

Yes, things are still bad and human monsters are still being allowed to do whatever they want.  Mel Gibson just starred in a freakin' family friendly movie.  That's all the more reason to care about this: There's still so much more to do.  Saying "Ahhh things are all going to go back to normal." Speaks to a lack of familiarity with the stories breaking right now.  It's also a self fulfilling prophecy. That's why I got so frustrated when you guys both shared that sentiment.  We live in the Trump era, please don't accept this ###### as normal.

It also speaks to a total disconnect with the actual victims.  If the most privileged of women are finally being heard, maybe someday we'll listen to all women when it comes to abuse.  These things don't happen in a vacuum.

Here's a heartbreaking story from Ellen Page: https://www.facebook.com/EllenPage/posts/10155212835577449

I'm familiar with the stories. Maybe not as much as you, but I have a decent background on them

My point is, these were acts committed by people when they reached a point where they were powerful enough to avoid the consequences; people in charge of perpetuating their careers did not know they were terrible people until they were big enough to garner that protection. Or they did, but the benefits from someone so profitable / powerful that turning the other cheek far outweighed the cost. Do any of these people seem remotely remorseful to you? Maybe Louis C.K., he's about the only one. Cosby still denies it to his grave. They shell out a candid apology and go on being millionaires. Individually, they keep their fortune. Are they viewed as scum in the public eye? Sure they are. You think Harvey Weinstein gives a ###### about what the public thinks about him? And if you do care, I've already given examples such as Tyson and Ftizgerald where you can make everyone forget about what you did. As a business, companies like Netflix and The Weinstein Company easily, easily have an overwhelming net positive from producing / distributing that content even after deducting the negative publicity and discontinuation of future revenue; Netflix doesn't even receive negative publicity and once Weinstein was booted from his own company, that company will continue to gross future revenues without much of a hitch. 

Yes, people are upset about it now that it's known, and movies are cancelled and shows are discontinued, but what's to stop someone from rising to that prominence and repeating the cycle all over again? The net gains are so overwhelmingly in favor of turning the other cheek than they are for addressing the issue.  

Edited by WildCard

Hah. Louis CK remorseful? Yeah right.

I don't know what point you're trying to make. These guys won't be working anymore. Weinstein desperately tried to get his board of directors to let him keep his job. Louis CK and Kevin Spacey want to be adored as geniuses.

And I've already said: overwhelming public opinion forces these monsters out. Weinstein's board would've definitely forgiven him 5 years ago. But now they were too afraid of the backlash.

Imagine how much it hurt the survivors of abuse to see their abusers continue on their successful, destructive paths.

A society where abuse survivors are actually listened to is exactly how we build toward a future where this happens way less.

And so much of this is not just "known" now. It's been known for a long time. People just care now.

My point is, what is to stop this from happening again? They are forced out, sure. Weinstein is still a millionaire, Spacey and C.K. are too, and, eventually, if Space and C.K. want to be adored again, it's proven to be not only possible, but really not entirely that difficult either. It's harder for Weinstein because he's not a public figure in the sense that actors, musicians, and athletes are. 

It's been "known" for awhile by people in Hollywood. Other actors have mentioned it (Chappelle), and one show even had a long running jab at Kevin Spacey. Those people cared, but nothing was done. The public didn't know until recently

I definitely agree with that.

If I had sat down to watch it watch it and not be half working while it was on, I'm not sure I'd have felt it was really worth my down time. There's some potential there but it's not fully baked IMO. 

They're trying to tie the development of criminal psychology and darkly interesting serial killers of the 70s to this one whiny cocky d!ckhead's rise in the FBI and I couldn't give 2 sh!ts about him. I honestly felt like I'd rather his gf was the main character. She had way more interest then "stare into the middle distance looking slightly disturbed" guy. Man, maybe he and Emilia Clark should hook up... they can stare into space at each other and it'll make riveting TV! 

Finished up the season, ended up really liking it. Took a while for me to figure out what they were doing with it, but I enjoyed it the whole way through.

My point is, what is to stop this from happening again? They are forced out, sure. Weinstein is still a millionaire, Spacey and C.K. are too, and, eventually, if Space and C.K. want to be adored again, it's proven to be not only possible, but really not entirely that difficult either. It's harder for Weinstein because he's not a public figure in the sense that actors, musicians, and athletes are.

It's been "known" for awhile by people in Hollywood. Other actors have mentioned it (Chappelle), and one show even had a long running jab at Kevin Spacey. Those people cared, but nothing was done. The public didn't know until recently

What's to stop it? PUBLIC OPINION. NPR literally just posted this story on twitter https://www.npr.org/2017/11/15/564393698/legal-landscape-shifts-as-more-sexual-harassment-allegations-surface-online?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2043

And people did know. Gawker did a story on Louis CK back in 2012. People all over the industry knew about it and it was reported but it didn't reach big news status because most. people didn't care and Louis CK's fans dismissed it entirely.

I don't know how to make it any more clear.