Evander Kane injury

Hoss

We're criticizing him for playing too fast and too hard? Give me a break. Guy busted his ass and broke his ribs. I'll take 1 more guy like that over 20 more like Moulson any day

And I'll take a Reinhart or a ROR who plays hard and isn't out 3 months every season

And I'll take a Reinhart or a ROR who plays hard and isn't out 3 months every season

Yea and you take the Moulsons too with that logic. We need more guys playing at Kane intensity level.

I'm gonna take a week off. This place is being ridiculous right now.

Ridiculous, isn't it?

Completely.

The more I look at it the more I feel like Emelin really is a POS pushing kane into the boards like that.

During the game I was feeling more like it was kane's fault for putting himself in that position, but now from another angle you really see him push kane into the boards.

https://twitter.com/MarcPDumont/status/786729814610837504?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Emelin does push him.. as he's supposed to do.  If you look at Kane's left skate he isn't on the inside edge and it allows him to end up going over and into the boards.  Emelin is not cheap on that because in most situations the player is going to lean hard on his inside edge and he'll push back into Emelin and their strength will cancel out.  In this case, because Kane is not angling his skate he's opened himself up and boom.  It's not cheap, it's a good hockey play and an unfortunate consequence.

Yep. I said last night that it was a dirty hit. Unfortunately, there is no rule against that so it really wasn't a penalty. That play is exactly why the changed the icing rules.

Someone needs to pay Emelin back next game. I was a little disappointed nobody did it last night.

Icing does not even come into play here.  It wouldn't have been icing in the first place and Kane touches the puck... it hadn't crossed the line either, so even if he misses it the whistle would not blow because icing cannot be in effect until the puck crosses the line.  The race condition you are referring to only comes into play once the puck crosses the end line.

I hope Jack Eichel doesn't come back and start skating as hard as Kane because if he gets injured like that what will this place do?  Go fast.. but not too fast, but don't float or go slow either... now speed up here, but slow down there.. you idiot, you suck.  But I guess Jack is a good skater so it wouldn't happen... because McDavid sucks on his skates and he didn't have nearly the same thing happen to him last year.

Sigh...

Hope Kane isn't too injured and that he can come back soon.  

I agree with Liger, although he's getting a bit too worked up about it.  The Sabres need more guys who play as hard and fast as Kane does.  And if he misses 15-20 games per year because of it -- that's a price worth paying.

I don't disagree with this sentiment. There is, however, room for discretion being the better part of valour -- for playing hard and fast, but perhaps not in such a way that you needlessly expose yourself to injury. A fine line, I will admit. 

So we criticise players who are soft and play a safe lethargic game, avoiding physical contact and we criticise players who play the game hard and fast?

Right...

I haven't reviewed the thread on this point, but I don't think anyone would have said that.

I think there's something to the idea that Evander's overall low hockey IQ (e.g., his fondness for a high volume of low percentage shots) plays a role in the fact that he's constantly getting banged up. Almost as if he's an out of control child out there, on some level.

I agree with Liger, although he's getting a bit too worked up about it. The Sabres need more guys who play as hard and fast as Kane does. And if he misses 15-20 games per year because of it -- that's a price worth paying.

I want guys that skate as hard and fast as Kane, but I also want them to skate smart, which I don't think Kane always does.

Emelin does push him.. as he's supposed to do.  If you look at Kane's left skate he isn't on the inside edge and it allows him to end up going over and into the boards.  Emelin is not cheap on that because in most situations the player is going to lean hard on his inside edge and he'll push back into Emelin and their strength will cancel out.  In this case, because Kane is not angling his skate he's opened himself up and boom.  It's not cheap, it's a good hockey play and an unfortunate consequence.

Icing does not even come into play here.  It wouldn't have been icing in the first place and Kane touches the puck... it hadn't crossed the line either, so even if he misses it the whistle would not blow because icing cannot be in effect until the puck crosses the line.  The race condition you are referring to only comes into play once the puck crosses the end line.

I hope Jack Eichel doesn't come back and start skating as hard as Kane because if he gets injured like that what will this place do?  Go fast.. but not too fast, but don't float or go slow either... now speed up here, but slow down there.. you idiot, you suck.  But I guess Jack is a good skater so it wouldn't happen... because McDavid sucks on his skates and he didn't have nearly the same thing happen to him last year.

Sigh...

Yep. I know icing was not an issue here. But it is that very "unfortunate consequence" that was the reason they changed the icing rules. I still say it was dirty.

Sigh...

Jack's a terrible player because he put himself in that situation in the first place. He makes dumb decisions. Why would he even think about going in front of the net during practice? I don't want a guy like that on my team, making stupid decisions. Murray should have traded him when he had the chance. 

Evander Kane is Drew Stafford but with a style people prefer. The end results, however, are pretty damn close.

*ducks*

I'm not entirely sure you need to duck on that one. Not a totally unfair take.

I think that Evander's style, though, will tend to make more of a difference and therefore create better results. But only slightly better.

Evander Kane is Drew Stafford but with a style people prefer. The end results, however, are pretty damn close.

*ducks*

This is 100% on the money.

Kane is a "goal scorer" who can't finish to save his ass and doesn't particularly have a knack for scoring goals.

He's a better, more flashy version of Max Afinogenov.

Lots of sparkle, little in the way of effective offensive production.

That's why he got away from the Jets.  If Kane was the guy everyone thought he might be, he would have stayed with that organization for most or all of his career.  One of Murray's big misses so far.

People need to focus on what he actually does on the ice, not a misconception about who he is based on reputation, draft selection number, flukey past performance, etc.

Right now this team has a core of quality players named Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly, and Risto.

That's it.  We need more pieces.

Honorable mentions go to McCabe, Okposo, Larsson, Fasching, and Zemgus.

Ennis looks used up and done to me.  Zemgus is horribly mis-managed by Bylsma and really quite ineffective as a result.

Too early to really know McCabe and Fasching's true value.

Larsson is a nice piece, but supporting cast only.

Foligno is replaceable. 

Kane and Bogo are both misses.  Kulikov is the shiny new piece who really isn't that good.

The majority of the D core is horrible.

Lehner?  Book remains out on him; not worth the draft pick given up.  Another big miss by Murray.

We need to expand the core.  

But I digress.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.