2017 NHL Draft -- General NHL Thread

WildCard

Weak draft this year :(

I don't agree - sure there isn't a sure fire superstar but there are a lot of high end prospects. Assuming Jack is out for 20 - 25 games I'd think the Sabres will end up picking in around 7th or 8th.

It's really early to pin-point the exact player but I really like Owen Tippett from Mississauga. I've seen him ranked anywhere from 5 th to 25th but he's really stood out the few times I've seen him play. In 12 games he has 12 goals and is a speedster. - I've read comparisons to Phil Kessel but I believe Owen is much bigger being listed at 6'2. 204lbs

There are always going to be good players available in the draft. The novelty wears off though, personally, when it becomes apparent that we aren't going to get good by finishing near last again and adding a nice prospect. Adding a prospect that'll help in a few years is always good, but we need help now.

Anyways, it's nice to have a thread like this to learn more about who's coming, even if the excitement of this sorta thing seems to have faded away at this point.

Depressing times being a Sabres fan now of days.  Of the last 4 years we've full on tanked two of them and not been very good the other two.  A key injury to Jack and it's looking like a long year again.  2005-2007 seems like such a distant memory. 

I want the Sabres to draft 30th, just once.

You have a much better chance of having a team stripped of their first round pick, thereby making the first pick of the 2nd round 30th. That's going to be the only way the Sabres ever pick 30th.

You have a much better chance of having a team stripped of their first round pick, thereby making the first pick of the 2nd round 30th. That's going to be the only way the Sabres ever pick 30th.

:cry:

This thread makes me said. I know it is a necessary evil, but the timing of this one really stings.

Sabres could easily pick 30th in 2017, people.

Like, when they trade Moulson to a Cup-contender this season and that team does in fact go all the way.

Or in a couple years and there are 32 teams.

We should always have a draft thread because it is fun to look at the players coming up. 

I don't agree - sure there isn't a sure fire superstar but there are a lot of high end prospects. Assuming Jack is out for 20 - 25 games I'd think the Sabres will end up picking in around 7th or 8th.

It's really early to pin-point the exact player but I really like Owen Tippett from Mississauga. I've seen him ranked anywhere from 5 th to 25th but he's really stood out the few times I've seen him play. In 12 games he has 12 goals and is a speedster. - I've read comparisons to Phil Kessel but I believe Owen is much bigger being listed at 6'2. 204lbs

I too like Tippett. Big RW with speed and loves to shoot. 12games, 12goals, 5a, 17pts thus far. 

ISS top 31 November.

https://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-31-november-2016-1/

Owen Tippett already in the top 5 on the ISS list.

A little further down the list another prospect that interests me is Eeli Tolvanen Ranked around 8th in most publications.  He is a Boston College commit with speed and skill.  Has already won the USHL player of the week award twice.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=249730

Im sure most Sabres fans (including me) would like to see them draft out of the top 10.

a names to watch is Kailer Yamamoto - small but highly skilled forward and Nico Hishier - Swiss forward playing with Halifax in the Q. Otherwise I don't really see anything too exciting out of the top 10 at this moment (off the ISS list) at the foward position.

On Defence there are two prospects that I think are may be of interest.

1) Callan Foote RHD from Kelowna (the D factory) son of Adam Foote - 6'4 and mobile Dman who plays a physical game

2) Nicolas Hague LHD - Mix of size, skill and skating and is a shut down defender playing for Mississauga. Strong desire to carry the puck up the ice.

There are a few European D in that area that I am not familiar with at all at this time.

Timothy Liljegren is usually ranked 2nd overall but we've often seen the top Dman in October drop into the spring (Hanifan, Chyrchrun and to a greater extent Kylington). So far he has only played 2 games due to injury, so maybe his stock drops if he doesn't play much.

Edited by Crusader1969

• 3 weeks later...

Im sure there will be people upset with the timing of me posting this but its for information only. The Sabres will have a 1st rounder this spring so may as well know who is out there.

Im still sticking with my prediction that they draft between 10 and 14. Though if the injuries continue to pile up.....

https://www.mckeenshockey.com/prospects-blog/mckeens-2017-top-30-nhl-draft-rankings-nov-2016-swiss/

I believe that McKeens had Laine as the #1 pick last season, so I definitely have a lot of respect for them.

Im sure there will be people upset with the timing of me posting this but its for information only. The Sabres will have a 1st rounder this spring so may as well know who is out there.

Im still sticking with my prediction that they draft between 10 and 14. Though if the injuries continue to pile up.....

https://www.mckeenshockey.com/prospects-blog/mckeens-2017-top-30-nhl-draft-rankings-nov-2016-swiss/

I believe that McKeens had Laine as the #1 pick last season, so I definitely have a lot of respect for them.

I really like that guy they have at #1. I have watched him a few times this season.

He will be a difference maker in the NHL.

Paging shrader to the 2017 draft thread.

Keep us up to date on Hischier, he is ranked 1 here but usually falls out of the top 5. Specifically his skating, it seems he has an all round game but does his speed stand out?

Thanks,

He seems fast to me.

I don't pay any attention to scouting reports. I will report what my eyes tell me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.