Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

better than Sakic?

I'm not sure. I always thought of him as the best wrist and snap shot of all time. Need to see what Laine looks like over the next few years. But it's absolutely absurd how well he shoots. He can set up for 5 full seconds from the top of the circle on an unscreened goalie and still beat him with the shot easily.

Just saw Laine's goals. Someone asked about his shooting percentage a while back, and it was kind of high.

This kid is going to have a kind-of-high career shooting percentage. He can do the Ovechkin slapper, but he also has the best wrist/snapshot in the league. His release is a "generational release" if that means anything. I encourage people to look up the goals he's scored this season.

As did I.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssuuuuussss.

Both of the ones I saw were on the power play against Edmonton. Both those off-wing slappers. Christ.

Yeah - if he's shooting a bunch of those, then you have to wonder whether his SH% will come back to earth. 

I'm keen to see more of his 5-v-5 play, I guess.

I actually think Sam is a rather good skater. He needs to work on his power, but he's looking smoother and smoother out there. I know he's been working on his skating in the offfseason.

His lateral movement is average, and his acceleration is below.  At pace he is slightly above, but as you note needs strength. I think he would be all world with say Kanes acceleration. He is a very smart player and could anchor his own 2nd line if he were a better skater.

Are you kidding me?  What went down?

As I understand it, Bettman et. al. floated a three year extension to the current CBA in exchange for making the Olympics happen. This enraged the players because escrow. Non-starter. Been floating around awhile, guess they finally officially said no.

There absolutely will be another lockout (although at this point I hope it's a strike) the instant this CBA ends. Ownership just can not help itself.

It's both the ownership and players. A hard cap requires escrow but because some idiot gave the players the option to vote in a 5% cap raise each year well guess what, league revenue didn't match that. So owners were happy to give their gms cap space, players wanted more money, and revenue didn't match in part because slow grabby hockey sucks

Note I'm not blaming the players or owners (think both have to agree to the 5% increase)

Edited by LGR4GM

Was it the PA or the Owners that said 'Nyet?' Sorry, your post implied that's what the owners wanted, but in your best Liger imitation, that wasn't completely clear.

What I'm seeing is that the league offered to commit to the Olympics in exchange for a three-year extension of the current CBA, and the PA declined.

Which really just means that we can all get ready for another lockout in 2020.

His lateral movement is average, and his acceleration is below.  At pace he is slightly above, but as you note needs strength. I think he would be all world with say Kanes acceleration. He is a very smart player and could anchor his own 2nd line if he were a better skater.

Pretty much. I think he'll get there, though, re: ability to anchor a second line. 

Watching the Calgary game.  The Big Johnson is 6-2 in his last 8, is Flames November player of the month, and is ahead of the Minnesota Wild 2-1 at the first intermission.

Good for him. I always thought he was highly underrated. I hope they let him be the starter the rest of the year. 

Tom Rowe did an interview with Friedman today and apparently Rowe said Viola and him agreed to fire Spuddy after Christmas. Then Rowe got a phone call from Viola telling him to fire Spuddy right after the Carolina game. So Rowe is throwing his boss under the bus by showing everybody what we already know, Viola is running every aspect of this team. To make matters worse, Rowe said he had no intentions of coaching and that he advocated for Spuddy several times over saying that he is the perfect guy to run this team. 

I'm getting the impression Rowe wants no part in this either and that him being named coach might have been a demotion. 

Somebody mentioned that this has turned into one big West Point boy's club. That's exactly what it is, they don't even have a dedicated GM. 

It's a real shame to see what has happened to this team in such a short amount of time. I'm sure many of the players want nothing to do with this and are probably regretting the long term contracts they just signed. On a positive note, many of those contracts are manageable and could be easily dealt if they are willing to trade them. I say the Sabres get first dibs on Trochek. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/friedman-sits-tom-rowe/

Edited by JJFIVEOH

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.