Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

McDavid is just mind-blowing. And if you watch a whole game, you see that every single time he's on the ice he creates a quality scoring chance. It's unreal. There's never been a player like him, that has his skating/hands/IQ combo.

He reminds me of Crosby a little, for that reason I wouldn't say I haven't seen a player like him.

Crosby's IQ is every bit as good, and with that, passing, vision, etc. McDavid's skating smoothness and acceleration is unparalleled in today's game, it's Orr-like. But Sid is very fast as well and has more power. More like Forsberg. So I'd call that a wash. McDavid's hands are better, but Crosby's shot is better, particularly backhand which is among the best I've seen.

Sid is more of a grinder, McDavid more finesse. For this reason I see Crosby's game suited to the playoffs a little better. Both amazing players, I think McDavid will have a chance to equal the numbers Sid has put up, but ultimately I think Sid's come I'm a little higher. No chance McDavid puts up 120 like Sid did in year 2. But part of that is that goal scoring is down.

In the end I think these two guys will be seen as the top tier of this generation, easily.

Edited by Thorny

Shaw does Charlie work.

TBF Charlie is the best part of that show, he's entertaining ;)

On a serious note plenty of us complain about a robotic league with no flair and no individuality; no Rob Ray fighting fans or line brawls or coaching fights, etc. Shaw didn't do anything remotely like that, and those are all memories we look back fondly on. I like Shaw, he makes the game fun

Edited by WildCard

They haven't switched to smaller pads yet

They were supposed to switch to smaller pants by the start of the season, but that fell through... because NHL.      

Now there is no timetable for goalie equipment changes.

They were supposed to switch to smaller pants by the start of the season, but that fell through... because NHL.      

Now there is no timetable for goalie equipment changes.

It was because of the manufacturers.

But it still needs to happen.

Two nights ago, Matthews/Eichel/Laine/McDavid all scored. Tonight, McDavid's got two points, Jack has two goals, and Laine has another. The influx of young talent, too many players to name, is going to be so good for this league.

Nah, the Chris Neils of the league will continue to interfere with impunity.

Two nights ago, Matthews/Eichel/Laine/McDavid all scored. Tonight, McDavid's got two points, Jack has two goals, and Laine has another. The influx of young talent, too many players to name, is going to be so good for this league.

No, you're right.

Nah, the Chris Neils of the league will continue to interfere with impunity.

No.  Just no.

When they describe McJesus as "generational", most people think that means the best in a generation.  I think it's a little different.  Yes, he's the best, but he's also the leader of a new generation of players.  We look at players 40 years ago and realize they couldn't keep up in today's league.  With the incoming generation, the players that were around two years ago won't be able to keep up with them in three years.  It will be a different game.

No, you're right.

No.  Just no.

When they describe McJesus as "generational", most people think that means the best in a generation.  I think it's a little different.  Yes, he's the best, but he's also the leader of a new generation of players.  We look at players 40 years ago and realize they couldn't keep up in today's league.  With the incoming generation, the players that were around two years ago won't be able to keep up with them in three years.  It will be a different game.

I disagree. Orr Lemieux, Gretzky, Lidstrom Forsberg, Bure could play as well now as back then. It is about skating. So few pure skaters develop the way they should these days because of the specialization and private skill coaching. Certain players just see the ice at a different level and have the skating ability to execute. Jagr is still doing it. We are seeing a new wave of extremely well prepared kids with great skating skills. It is my worry about Sam. He may not be able to reach his potential if his skating doesn't improve immensely because his mind is elite.

Just saw Laine's goals. Someone asked about his shooting percentage a while back, and it was kind of high.

This kid is going to have a kind-of-high career shooting percentage. He can do the Ovechkin slapper, but he also has the best wrist/snapshot in the league. His release is a "generational release" if that means anything. I encourage people to look up the goals he's scored this season.

Just saw Laine's goals. Someone asked about his shooting percentage a while back, and it was kind of high.

This kid is going to have a kind-of-high career shooting percentage. He can do the Ovechkin slapper, but he also has the best wrist/snapshot in the league. His release is a "generational release" if that means anything. I encourage people to look up the goals he's scored this season.

Took a flyer on him, fairly late in our fantasy league.

...he's alright

I disagree. Orr Lemieux, Gretzky, Lidstrom Forsberg, Bure could play as well now as back then. It is about skating. So few pure skaters develop the way they should these days because of the specialization and private skill coaching. Certain players just see the ice at a different level and have the skating ability to execute. Jagr is still doing it. We are seeing a new wave of extremely well prepared kids with great skating skills. It is my worry about Sam. He may not be able to reach his potential if his skating doesn't improve immensely because his mind is elite.

I actually think Sam is a rather good skater. He needs to work on his power, but he's looking smoother and smoother out there. I know he's been working on his skating in the offfseason.

better than Sakic?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.