Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

I'd say the operative word was "maintain." Even if control was defined as kicking the puck, one kick isn't maintaining control. That one could go to the Hockey Supreme Court though.

I will probably never find the link again, but I know I read somewhere that the March memo was a reinforcement of existing clarifications. It makes sense in that the crease rule had been around for years and you'd think they weren't just then putting out a list of exceptions. But, hey, it's the NHL. Not sure it really matters.

Dallas DID maintain possession. Hull didn't maintain control. The league claimed he maintained possession, so all was good.

They changed the rule for how a player obtains control later because they were still getting flack over it.

I truly wish I didn't love this sport. The powers that be in this league really seem to WANT to ruin it. One more year of Bylsma being back & these guys may finally have lost me. Think I might want him back.

Senators clinch second place in the Atlantic and home ice through the first round.

Leafs will beat them if they play each-other...talk about a big game for the Leafs today...if they get a point or two against Columbus who has forgot how to win (5 loses in a row) the leafs play Ottawa...if they lose they play Washington. I do think the Leafs will beat ottawa no problem but not so sure against OV

Edited by Sabre fan

I'm sure some out there are still thinking without the injuries we'd be in the playoffs.

I am not one of those. But to be fair, you're looking at the team's poor record once they were effectively out of the playoffs, then officially out, as evidence that the early record with all the injuries is who they really were going to be this season. How would the team have played without the injuries and in a playoff spot come the first of the year? Totally different mindset. I think this issue is what Murray is going to have to grapple with.

Having said all that, all I really need to know about this team is how it played the first few games coming out of the bye week. If it's any indication of how they prepared for the rest of the season during the break, it's a pretty ominous sign for the future, because you might have very little character on this team. You really do have to stop and ask whether Kane, Bogosian, O'Reilly and Ennis can be the "vets" and Eichel, Reinhart and Ristolainen can be the "young stars" on a Cup-winning team -- or, if now we're looking at Eichel, Reinhart and Ristolainen being the "vets" and (insert name of prospects) being the "young stars" on a Cup-winning team, in how many years? Five? Seven?

Plan A of the plan ("the quick rebuild") seems to have failed. We're not the Blackhawks. Go figure. Plan B is a lot dicier, IMHO. The tank didn't work. It didn't land McDavid and Babcock. It sure feels like, two years out, we're JAT (just a team).

I am not one of those. But to be fair, you're looking at the team's poor record once they were effectively out of the playoffs, then officially out, as evidence that the early record with all the injuries is who they really were going to be this season. How would the team have played without the injuries and in a playoff spot come the first of the year? Totally different mindset. I think this issue is what Murray is going to have to grapple with.

Having said all that, all I really need to know about this team is how it played the first few games coming out of the bye week. If it's any indication of how they prepared for the rest of the season during the break, it's a pretty ominous sign for the future, because you might have very little character on this team. You really do have to stop and ask whether Kane, Bogosian, O'Reilly and Ennis can be the "vets" and Eichel, Reinhart and Ristolainen can be the "young stars" on a Cup-winning team -- or, if now we're looking at Eichel, Reinhart and Ristolainen being the "vets" and (insert name of prospects) being the "young stars" on a Cup-winning team, in how many years? Five? Seven?

Plan A of the plan ("the quick rebuild") seems to have failed. We're not the Blackhawks. Go figure. Plan B is a lot dicier, IMHO. The tank didn't work. It didn't land McDavid and Babcock. It sure feels like, two years out, we're JAT (just a team).

Excellent post.

As much as I have problems with Bylsma, I have no difficulty admitting I desperately want him to be the whole problem so I don't have to consider these very pertinent questions.

:wub:

Indeed. There is a very significant likelihood that ROR is a very good player with zero Drury in him, that Eichel is more MacKinnon than McDavid, that Reino is more Derek Roy than Toews and that Risto is more Phaneuf than Doughty.

Again: the tank usually doesn't work, even though you do end up with some shiny toys.

what's up with Pittsburg playing that big goon Sisito who smoked leafs goalie Anderson in the head last night? surprised the Leafs weren't more upset about that as losing their #1 goalie before the playoffs sure would suck

Looked pretty harmless to me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.