Auston Mathews/Hat Trick

jayg

Let's see him do it again. Against a team other than Ottawa.

Feel free to toss this back at me if AM is indeed new Gretzkey or Ottawa are not a complete tire fire. I have a feeling neither is true...

His first NHL game isn't good enough for you....he has to do it again?

That was some of the most wide-open, no defense, firewagon hockey I have witnessed in a good long time. It was like both teams agreed not to play defense. 

would be nice to see this more often, eh?

Let's see him do it again. Against a team other than Ottawa.

Feel free to toss this back at me if AM is indeed new Gretzkey or Ottawa are not a complete tire fire. I have a feeling neither is true...

4 goals against an NHL team is something that deserves a lot of respect. Doest matter how bad a team may be. Edited by GoPre

Most pundits thought Matthews was better than Eichel. He certainly looked in a different league last night. Leafs will be much improved this year as will the Oilers

If by "most" you mean "some" then yes. I will say, he does appear to have more natural hockey sense and better hands. But if those two things were all a player was judged on, we'd all consider Reinhart our best player.

If by "most" you mean "some" then yes. I will say, he does appear to have more natural hockey sense and better hands. But if those two things were all a player was judged on, we'd all consider Reinhart our best player.

And a decade may go by and something like this happens..... Reinhart pans out to be the better player, it's not that far fetched.

As of right now in their short careers one of them is injury prone. Only time will tell.

Beating all six Senators was impressive.. How many times can you honestly remember seeing something like that?

Impressive? Sure. Kid has skills but what I saw that contributed to that play was the lackadaisical defense played by the Sens. That was poke check city. He had his head down throughout the majority of the play. The kid won't get away with that very often. A team that plays strong D will line him up and blast him right out of his skates.

I went and looked at Matthews stats last year and previously and he is basically a Ovie/Stamkos type player. I'd compare McDavid to Crosby with his speed, vision and ability to score but set up teammates. Eichel is kind of in the middle. Mike Modano type. A guy who pots more goals early, but as he spends time in the league he'll become an even better distributor. If I had to compare Eichel to a current player, Toews?

I loved how he stole the puck in his second goal. Brilliant.

It really was something.

Impressive? Sure. Kid has skills but what I saw that contributed to that play was the lackadaisical defense played by the Sens. That was poke check city. He had his head down throughout the majority of the play. The kid won't get away with that very often. A team that plays strong D will line him up and blast him right out of his skates.

It was poor play by the Sens, for sure. But credit the kid. I'll be interested to see how things settle in for him once he comes down to earth.

Where's pi? :lol:

Again....  I expected Matthews to impress out of the gate.    When his ELC expires, and he signs his max deal, he'll experience a sharp steady decline into oblivion.... I said this back in June:   

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/24179-vesey-signs-with-rangers-huge-thread-now-moot/?view=findpost&p=837412

"WRT Matthews we'll see how it plays out.    For the record, I predicted he would peak as a top 10 scorer in the league, he'll sign a franchise deal, and then the downward spiral will begin."

Again.... I expected Matthews to impress out of the gate. When his ELC expires, and he signs his max deal, he'll experience a sharp steady decline into oblivion.... I said this back in June:

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/24179-vesey-signs-with-rangers-huge-thread-now-moot/?view=findpost&p=837412

"WRT Matthews we'll see how it plays out. For the record, I predicted he would peak as a top 10 scorer in the league, he'll sign a franchise deal, and then the downward spiral will begin."

I can't be expected to remember this 5 years from now

I liked your old avatar better :D

Edited by WildCard

As pure goal scorers McDavid and Matthews are more talented than Eichel. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.