OT - SabreSpace Gaffes and Goofs

LGR4GM

I was pretty lukewarm about getting ROR for the price tag he was demanding, also.

I was okay with the Leino contract (until he hit the ice).  Yeah, that one will be hard to top.

I was glad Regier matched idiot Kevin Lowe's offer sheet for Vanek.  Okay, we probably all were (at the time, of course).

What I DID get right was that letting Briere and Drury go elsewhere for ridiculous money was the right thing to do.

And we're off....

I was recently shocked to discover that Jack Eichel's name is actually John Eichel, because I had never heard of Jack being a nickname for the name John. I came to the board to give the exciting news, and everyone laughed at me :lol: 

Hockey-wise, everything I think is always right! Hahaha. I can't think of any specific outlandish goof (wanting Eichel to play with a shorter stick is NOT a goof until he tries it and fails miserably) but when I look back at the team I built in last summer's Sabrespace draft game thing, I cringe at some of the players I was so thrilled to get. 

I feel like we've had a thread like this before. Reason being: I've previously posted to the effect that, I'm such a wishy-washy, over-analytical skeptic that I'm not sure how I often I get something wrong. Because hedging.

That said, where I've wound up with the meddling issue is one that has, shall we say, evolved quite a bit. And PA deserves a chub* chug on the shoulder for that. I went from thinking it was sorta nuts to imply that Pegula was directly involving himself in pro personnel issue (beyond vetting the process and decision that his hired experts had made), to coming around to the idea that "meddling" was essentially synonymous with "owning," to much more recently thinking that, at least insofar as the Bills are concerned, the Pegulas may be up to their elbows in issues such as "hey, why don't we target Sammy 15 times a game?"

I posted something to the trial thread a few weeks ago. A quote from a GM involved in the Shea Weber trade (Pioli? No - that's an NFL guy - Poile? (sp?)) to the effect that he advised the owners what he'd done after the blockbuster-stunner was done. (One note: I've since looked at the Predators' ownership structure. They're owned by an LLC - not an individual (or two). That might have something to do with it, too.)

*Could've stricken it when I edited, but this was too good to delete.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Myers > Karlsson > Getzlaf is my true all-timer.

I said Hodgson's contract was fine because even if he didn't get better he was already a #2 center, and that's what they get paid. I was half right, anyway...his contract was in fact in line with what second line centers got paid.

I said the Leino signing was fine because even if he flamed out at center, he was a top-6 winger.

I wanted to draft Nichushkin over Risto. In my defense, it wasn't because I disliked Risto...I just loved Nichushkin.

Aaannnddd Grigorenko. Oh, Mikhail, how you disappointed.

I said the Kassian trade was bad.  Then a day later I corrected myself and said it was good.  So I was wrong on both.

What if I told you that in a battle between size and speed, both would fail?

ESPN's 30 for 30

Kassian for Hodgson:The Biggest Trade That Never Mattered

Edited by sabills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.