Political Correctness

JJFIVEOH

I never found much value in either Brooks or MP, and that has nothing to do with PC stuff. Just not that funny. Trying too hard.

Brooks over MP for me, hands down. MP I can take or leave, but Spaceballs and Young Frankenstein are classics for me Edited by WildCard

I never found much value in either Brooks or MP, and that has nothing to do with PC stuff. Just not that funny. Trying too hard.

Dude. DUDE.

Genius level stuff, both - though quite different.

John Cleese has been public about his disdain for the culture of micro aggression on US college campuses.

Brooks, Python, Tom Lehrer, dirty limericks, ah, those were my upbringing. I've been raised on dirty jokes since day one, reveled in poor taste from as early as I could understand it, and been the number one filthy mouthed joke spewer at most parties. But I guess I just find a time and a place for such things. Some places and people, sure! Other places and people, pretend I'm a mature adult and maintain decorum. But never slurs- even in my worst jokes, they are too difficult to say. That's my position on political correctness! 

A half formed thought before I am fully awake.....

In earlier days (I'm thinking '50's) it was conservatives sensoring shocking entertainment.  In rebellion against it we got what led to Howard Stern and Andrew Dice Clay.  Has the protest that resulted from THAT led us to liberal censorship of shocking things?  Did the worm turn?

In earlier days (I'm thinking '50's) it was conservatives sensoring shocking entertainment.  In rebellion against it we got what led to Howard Stern and Andrew Dice Clay.  Has the protest that resulted from THAT led us to liberal censorship of shocking things?  Did the worm turn?

Insight. I am a believer in pendulums.

:) You're too uptight, liten up Francis... ps I'm not dead, just resting.

Finally read thread in its entirety and my brain hurts... Once had a friend tell me you can get away with saying a lot if you smile first... so .

Edited by North Buffalo

In earlier days (I'm thinking '50's) it was conservatives sensoring shocking entertainment. In rebellion against it we got what led to Howard Stern and Andrew Dice Clay. Has the protest that resulted from THAT led us to liberal censorship of shocking things? Did the worm turn?

I think there's little doubt this is the case. And it'll eventually swing back the other way.

Regardless of where you stand one could argue that you're being too sensitive. Words offend both sides. One side is offended by the state of language and the other is offended by the attempt to evolve language.

In earlier days (I'm thinking '50's) it was conservatives sensoring shocking entertainment. In rebellion against it we got what led to Howard Stern and Andrew Dice Clay. Has the protest that resulted from THAT led us to liberal censorship of shocking things? Did the worm turn?

Damn you Justin Timberlake!

Micro aggressions.

Someone, earlier, said something along the lines of "it's offensive if someone finds it offensive".

Maybe that's my half accurate paraphrase. If no one else said it, well, I just did for purposes of the following.

If you find spouse or golf outing offensive, the problem is your own.

IM often offensive HO.

And, because we're being so nice and making such progress, I'll toss this grenade. I find word policing, safe spaces, and micro aggressions to be thought, speech and idea limiting fascisms of the progressive left. A distinction it's my experience the left will claim, by the way, until the right points it out.

Both sides have their triggers. I'll remind you of the current fight about the definition of "marriage" and the primary example of offense on the right, the War on Christmas. The left doesn't have a monopoly on word policing. And just to bring things back around, Political Correctness. 

Anti-PC people are offended that someone would disagree with their use of a term.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around pansexual, transexual, transgender, transvestite, crossdresser, transfeminine, transmale, transmasculine, drag queen and Chaz Bono.

Somebody let me know when they've reached a conclusion on DSD's. 

See, that's where you have it wrong. You don't wrap your head around. You either point your head into them or wrap other body parts around them.

I recently saw a commercial out of China thats trying to sell laundry detergent. In the ad a Chinese female takes a black man and stuffs him in her washing machine. She proceeds to pour the detergent on the man and closes the lid. After the wash is finished she opens the machine and out pops a sparkling clean Chinese guy. Her eyes light up. End of grossly racist commercial. I don't have a link but its floating around out there causing shock and outrage as it should everywhere but China apparently. Have a look if you can find it. I was shocked and I don't shock easily but its worth a look and since it is so politically incorrect I thought it deserved mention. 

I remember seeing an ad for heaters in Japan with a picture of Hitler. The translation was something like, "I declare war on the cold front!". He's just a historical figure over there.

• 3 weeks later...

If a guy not standing for the national anthem is offensive then offensive isnt strong enough a word for that.

Regardless of whether you view the towers, during their existence, as a crass monument to capitalism/greed/whatever, it's important to remember that 3000 people died there in a horrific inferno from hell.  That's why the coke zero display is offensive.

Did you see the one I posted with the mattress dealer knocking down "twin towers?"  (I.e., towers of twin beds.)

Some might find the display offensive for various reasons, that's fine and completely understandable. But for the most part I don't think the vast majority cold care less whether it's there or not. I don't think anybody should have to bend over backwards to satisfy the few that do. It's sterilizing our world. 

For what it's worth, I can't stand Walmart and never shop there. 

Some might find the display offensive for various reasons, that's fine and completely understandable. But for the most part I don't think the vast majority cold care less whether it's there or not. I don't think anybody should have to bend over backwards to satisfy the few that do. It's sterilizing our world. 

For what it's worth, I can't stand Walmart and never shop there. 

I think it takes more effort to put that tower up than it does to not. Which I often find to be the case for many offensive actions: more effort to do it than to not.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.