Political Correctness

JJFIVEOH

Aren't there white African-Americans?

I am guessing you have a response to your own question. Let 'er rip.

Pretty sure they call themselves Copts.

Are those the Christians from North Africa who trace their roots way, way back? I never considered them "white." Are they?

I am guessing you have a response to your own question. Let 'er rip.

Are those the Christians from North Africa who trace their roots way, way back? I never considered them "white." Are they?

Q1. They are.

Q2. Not positive. Always thought they were. (Could definitely be mistaken.)

Woah woah woah. U2 was good, but I can't pick one year where they were the greatest band in the world

They were the best band in the world for several years running, my friend. In and arounds 1982-1988, no one touched them. Think of the Sunday Bloody Sunday performed at Red Rocks (objectively transcendental), take it to Live Aid (holy sh1t), and then run it all the way through that Joshua Tree tour (which. was. ah. mazing.).

The reason I know this to be true: I wasn't even a fan in their heyday, and now only appreciate them in the abstract. Missed by their absence. Where are THE BANDS?!

Prior to them, The Police had a good run of it. They even handed the thing off to U2. Literally:

Also worth a peek (self-serving as it is):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTvDUTBI2HY

I know at least two.

Are their ancestors from Europe or some other gringo-producing region of the world? 

One was born in Malawi and is the son of two white, American Peace Corps workers.

The other was born in Egypt and is Coptic.

As for the first, an American-African?

As for the Coptic, I had never heard them referred to as white. But that certainly doesn't mean they (or some of them) aren't so considered.

I know two Afrikaners who now live in the U.S. That is, actually, what I thought might be suggested relative to White Africans. 

As for the first, an American-African?

As for the Coptic, I had never heard them referred to as white. But that certainly doesn't mean they (or some of them) aren't so considered.

I know two Afrikaners who now live in the U.S. That is, actually, what I thought might be suggested relative to White Africans. 

I don't know how more African one could be than being born there.

The Coptic woman is white.  If you put her in a room with 99 other white women, you wouldn't be able to pick her out.

Edited by Eleven

I don't know how more African one could be than being born there.

Fair deuce.

The rejoinder, of course, is that people are more "African" if their ancestors hail from that continent rather than from western countries. But I take your point, for sure.

I also love how "PC" gets twisted and distorted when the discussion strays from the U.S.

The Coptic woman is white.  If you put her in a room with 99 other white women, you wouldn't be able to pick her out.

Fair enough. Like I said, I've never heard the Coptics referred to as ethnically white. Maybe worth some Googling later.

Holy ######. Leave the kids alone and they bust out the broad brushes in talking bad about U2.

Listen. They jumped the shark and became insufferable. But they were the greatest band in the world once upon a time.

I'm offended you think of me as a kid.

One was born in Malawi and is the son of two white, American Peace Corps workers.

The other was born in Egypt and is Coptic.

I own several Malawis. 

Holy ######. Leave the kids alone and they bust out the broad brushes in talking bad about U2.

Listen. They jumped the shark and became insufferable. But they were the greatest band in the world once upon a time.

Smell and SDS are right.  Early to mid 80's, U2 really was pretty much the best band at the time.  They were unquestionably my faves during that time.  Very heartfelt and moving stuff, and their lack of true musicianship actually made them even more endearing at the time.

Then they started talking about non-music stuff, especially Bono.  I generally agreed with where they were coming from, but in doing so, they really couldn't have been bigger pr1cks if they tried.  So incredibly smug, and pretentious and self-righteous.  I swear to God there really is some sort of universal truth around how they fell from grace, like Shakespearean/Greek tragedy stuff.  Like all tragic "heroes", they had no idea whatsoever what as$holes they had become.  They thought they were ASCENDING to grace rather than falling hopelessly away from it.

Then the press couldn't get off their knees for a second to stop sucking their dix, they got richer than anybody, and whatever essence their music had that made them worthwhile in the first place was long gone forever.  To this day I can't even listen to what they did that was good at the time, because of what they became.

Sorry.  I meant to apologize in advance for this rant.  But I do feel better now!

Smell and SDS are right.  Early to mid 80's, U2 really was pretty much the best band at the time.  They were unquestionably my faves during that time.  Very heartfelt and moving stuff, and their lack of true musicianship actually made them even more endearing at the time.

Then they started talking about non-music stuff, especially Bono.  I generally agreed with where they were coming from, but in doing so, they really couldn't have been bigger pr1cks if they tried.  So incredibly smug, and pretentious and self-righteous.  I swear to God there really is some sort of universal truth around how they fell from grace, like Shakespearean/Greek tragedy stuff.  Like all tragic "heroes", they had no idea whatsoever what as$holes they had become.  They thought they were ASCENDING to grace rather than falling hopelessly away from it.

Then the press couldn't get off their knees for a second to stop sucking their dix, they got richer than anybody, and whatever essence their music had that made them worthwhile in the first place was long gone forever.  To this day I can't even listen to what they did that was good at the time, because of what they became.

Sorry.  I meant to apologize in advance for this rant.  But I do feel better now!

My experience, captured best by your words.

On the U2 thing.  Remember that the band was basically delivered out of a political crisis that was killing people.

Their early stuff was great because of that.

They got "poppy" with The Joshua Tree and got back to political with Rattle and Hum.

Their stuff since then hasn't been great, but their stuff before that was freaking incredible.

Edited by Eleven

BTW: Watch Blazing Saddles.

A lot of us know that movie.

Try to think of some of those words in a movie today. And I am NOT just talking about the one that begins with N.

Great movie. Not my favorite Brooks movie though.

Fwiw, both Brooks and Monty Python lament about today's sensitive culture

Edited by WildCard

Great movie. Not my favorite Brooks movie though.

Fwiw, both Brooks and Monty Python lament about today's sensitive culture

I never found much value in either Brooks or MP, and that has nothing to do with PC stuff.  Just not that funny.  Trying too hard.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.