Political Correctness

JJFIVEOH

My sense is that 9 out of 10 people (maybe more) who have them don't know what they are or what they might signify -- just that they're a piece of memorabilia that has been in the family (or part of the property) for generations.

Indeed.  Politically incorrect, and inadvertently offensive to some -- but not an intentional statement meant to flaunt bigotry.

My grandfather has one outside his house. I'm not going to tell him to take it down because he's like...93, so why bother. Is my grandfather a racist? I have no idea. I've never heard him say anything about black people, good or bad. I assumed he's not. But I can't really confirm that either. If he is, he's not actively so. Which I guess is the best way to be racist? 

My grandmother was probably born the same year as your grandfather, or close to it. She was as kind, gentle, and generous a person as you could have hoped to meet. But the number of ways in which she was casually racist was pretty astonishing. Simplest of examples: She referred to brazil nuts (which she adored) as "n-word toes." We'd kindly admonish her when she dropped stuff like that, and she'd get all flustered and apologize, but the stuff persisted. Like all of us, she was very much a product of the age and location in which she was raised.

Indeed.  Politically incorrect, and inadvertently offensive to some -- but not an intentional statement meant to flaunt bigotry.

And quite possibly a wholly justifiable target for vandalism and/or property destruction by tipsy college-aged kids. I say that because I am pretty sure the statute's long since expired.

My grandfather has one outside his house. I'm not going to tell him to take it down because he's like...93, so why bother. Is my grandfather a racist? I have no idea. I've never heard him say anything about black people, good or bad. I assumed he's not. But I can't really confirm that either. If he is, he's not actively so. Which I guess is the best way to be racist? 

I wouldn't put one in front of my house, that's for sure. 

If he's voting for Trump you can go from having no idea to assuming with 50% certainty that your grandfather is a racist.   :P

My grandmother was probably born the same year as your grandfather, or close to it. She was as kind, gentle, and generous a person as you could have hoped to meet. But the number of ways in which she was casually racist was pretty astonishing. Simplest of examples: She referred to brazil nuts (which she adored) as "n-word toes." We'd kindly admonish her when she dropped stuff like that, and she'd get all flustered and apologize, but the stuff persisted. Like all of us, she was very much a product of the age and location in which she was raised.

Oh jeez. I thought that was something only my mum said. I actually feel a little better.

If you wore a baseball cap at the dinner table my grandmother would say "What are you a k i k e?" growing up I thought she said "kite" but later learned the difference.

If you wore a baseball cap at the dinner table my grandmother would say "What are you a k i k e?" growing up I thought she said "kite" but later learned the difference.

The above is a story, i'm sure meant to be humorous, that illustrates how ignorance and prejudice is brought home to family members around casual conversations at a dinner table. It's about an ignorant family member, a member of the older generation, who influences the younger family members with old prejudices. it is not about PC. The family unquestioningly accepted her prejudiced and hateful statements, probably more than once. Family is king and you never want to call out a family elder. it's just not done. This is the way that hatred for an entire minority is passed on. Casually, unquestioningly over family dinner.

I privately wrote chz about deleting this story because I am Jewish and the word "k i k e'  is extremely offensive to me and all other Jews (who don't hate themselves). It's very much like the N-word except there is no hip street cache using the expression. Jews don't go around casually calling each other this word. She did not delete the story or even answer me.

So now I feel I should tell people on this board that this is how the administrator of the board acts when it comes to hurting other peoples' feelings.  She doesn't care. It seems she learned this attitude from her grandmother.

Edited by Marvelo

The above is a story, i'm sure meant to be humorous, that illustrates how ignorance and prejudice is brought home to family members around casual conversations at a dinner table. It's about an ignorant family member, a member of the older generation, who influences the younger family members with old prejudices. it is not about PC. The family unquestioningly accepted her prejudiced and hateful statements, probably more than once. Family is king and you never want to call out a family elder. it's just not done. This is the way that hatred for an entire minority is passed on. Casually, unquestioningly over family dinner.

I privately wrote chz about deleting this story because I am Jewish and the word "k i k e'  is extremely offensive to me and all other Jews (who don't hate themselves). It's very much like the N-word except there is no hip street cache using the expression. Jews don't go around casually calling each other this word. She did not delete the story or even answer me.

So now I feel I should tell people on this board that this is how the administrator of the board acts when it comes to hurting other peoples' feelings.  She doesn't care. It seems she learned this attitude from her grandmother.

That is exactly the opposite of the post she was responding to.  And I think her point was that had she known what her grandmother was saying, she would have stood up and said something about it.

As for her use of the word in the story itself, we can't talk about words without using them.  (In the immortal words of Bart Simpson, "how the hell am I supposed to talk about hell if I can't say 'hell'?")

Edited by Eleven

I didn't want to post anything public; I wanted to keep it private. But when she wouldn't discuss my concern privately, I felt i had to address her post directly. As a Jewish person, i feel strongly against the public use of ethnic slurs and that her story perpetuates their use.  These words should have died out long ago.

i routinely see words like this in comment boards, people using offensive language whether it's ordinary swearing, ethnic slurs or anti-female etc. words that would have never been tolerated in public even ten years ago. This is not improving or liberating our conversation, it's degrading us and keeping these hurtful words alive and active again, as people use them to inflame others and be hurtful. 

Edited by Marvelo

Marvelo -- I can't speak for Chz, but I will say that sometimes I too fail to respond to PMs or am late in doing so, and there is no malice intended.

As for the story in question, I agree that the word is a slur and is offensive.  However, as others have noted, I think the point of telling the story was to illustrate the bigotry of the person who used it -- not to endorse its usage.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.