Political Correctness

JJFIVEOH

When I was in third or fourth grade it was, for some reason, popular in my school to call things you don't like "Jewish." No sugar coating it or messing with the term. Just straight up "Jewish."

Because of this we learned that one of our teachers was actually Jewish through a few older kids. We had a computer class that we all loved because we typed on computers and played the Oregon Trail all day. One day she asked us all to shut down our computers but I was *so* close to finishing the game. I got mad when she turned my computer off for me so I said "why are you being so Jewish?" She calmly sent me to the principal's office where she joined me and explained to me, calmly, why the use of "Jewish" in that manner offended her.

After some haggling I understood and started telling my friends it wasn't okay to use it like that.

"Timehop" is a popular app that allows you to see what you posted on social media in the past. It does a "this day in history" for your social media posts. I saw the other day that I had several posts six years ago where I referred to things I didn't like as "gay." Was somewhat surprised that just six years ago I was of that mind, but I went to a VERY small school where everybody was white and the entire population was willingly offensive. With that said, I'm very impressed by the percentage of my friends who wouldn't be caught dead speaking in such an offensive way today.

to be brutally honest, Having to deal with Orthodox Jews daily doesn't really help me not using that term, if you want to talk about racist frakkers.   

They really are the most annoying people, race, religion I ever met and I pretty much seen them all.

If there is one thing that can unite every religion , race, colour whatever.  That is the restraint we all use together of not beating up those impatient cunts whom think they are the chosen people.  I'm not good at political correctness though.   :(

Edited by Huckleberry

to be brutally honest, Having to deal with Orthodox Jews daily doesn't really help me not using that term, if you want to talk about racist frakkers.   

They really are the most annoying people, race, religion I ever met and I pretty much seen them all.

If there is one thing that can unite every religion , race, colour whatever.  That is the restraint we all use together of not beating up those impatient cunts whom think they are the chosen people.  I'm not good at political correctness though.   :(

A) I have no experience with them. My friend grew up near NYC though, and he has expressed similar disdain. Always thought it was such a weird hatred to harbor

B) :lol:

I get "Christmas vacation." That one's been out since I was a student. But "golf outing"? And the article does NOT explain it.

Like I've said a few times, language evolves.

Yeah in the article it's "round of golf"

The guide also discourages staff from inviting others to play a “round of golf,” which assumes “employees have the financial resources/exposure to a fairly expensive and inaccessible sport.”

I really don't know what to say. And people want to blame cell phones for the lack of any sort of constructive face-to-face interactions. It's gotten to the point where people won't even talk to each other any more, because of fear of how others will interpret your words. I'm shaking my head.................... I had to double check the source because at first I thought this was a joke. 

Don't 'stand and be recognized'? 

If I mention color in a conversation, I'm a racist....... now if I "don't see color", it's racist? 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I get "Christmas vacation."  That one's been out since I was a student.  But "golf outing"?  And the article does NOT explain it.

As a UNC alum, please allow me to explain.  This refers to people who self-identify as "golfers", but are still not comfortable admitting this to others who are non-golfers.  When said non-golfers begin to suspect this about a potential golfer and say as much to a wider group, then they are "golf outing."

I know, hilarious, right?  But just for the record, I still identify as at least attempting to be politically correct.  As many here have said more eloquently than I can, it's just not that difficult.  (note -> I didn't say "hard" instead of "difficult" in deference to the Viagara crowd).

###### you, you damned cascade 

At least we don't call them cataracts anymore. Those were truly the bad old days. I was guilty of it, I admit.

When I was in third or fourth grade it was, for some reason, popular in my school to call things you don't like "Jewish." No sugar coating it or messing with the term. Just straight up "Jewish."

Because of this we learned that one of our teachers was actually Jewish through a few older kids. We had a computer class that we all loved because we typed on computers and played the Oregon Trail all day. One day she asked us all to shut down our computers but I was *so* close to finishing the game. I got mad when she turned my computer off for me so I said "why are you being so Jewish?" She calmly sent me to the principal's office where she joined me and explained to me, calmly, why the use of "Jewish" in that manner offended her.

After some haggling I understood and started telling my friends it wasn't okay to use it like that.

"Timehop" is a popular app that allows you to see what you posted on social media in the past. It does a "this day in history" for your social media posts. I saw the other day that I had several posts six years ago where I referred to things I didn't like as "gay." Was somewhat surprised that just six years ago I was of that mind, but I went to a VERY small school where everybody was white and the entire population was willingly offensive. With that said, I'm very impressed by the percentage of my friends who wouldn't be caught dead speaking in such an offensive way today.

You haggled, huh? :P

A) I have no experience with them. My friend grew up near NYC though, and he has expressed similar disdain. Always thought it was such a weird hatred to harbor

B) :lol:

Antwerp the diamond capital of the world is only one hour away from where I work and live, Some are nice though, but if someone can make you emotionally feel like a toothpick is being pushed under your toe nail its just them.   Its really not weird at all, they will bring up WWII all the time as well as an excuse why you should give them preference.  

My brother once got called a Nazi, well yeah the blond hair and blue eyes must have triggered that one, they also have some ritual where Orthodox Jews are not allowed to speak or interact for some time with "non clean" people.    Which at that point in time was going on, my brother who didn't know what he wanted because of that strange ritual couldn't help him until his son came to speak to him.

Also my brother had to keep back 3 Muslims from the warehouse who were just to eager to beat him up.   And the only way he could calm things down was to tell him he was going back in the line until he was able to communicate proper.   So yeah he got called a Nazi by them, but he probably saved them from a good ass whopping.

Its also not what they called him out to be, we couldn't give a ###### if they call us Nazi's, we are blonde and beautiful. :P

Its just the manner they threat people, we are all below them.

Talk about a political correctness, I got so mad last week I told one of them, yeah yeah you guys always want to be first, first served, first on a train ....  :unsure:

Should have seen the look of everyone around me, half of them were laughing their off, the other half was like WTF.

Edited by Huckleberry

Talk about a political correctness, I got so mad last week I told one of them, yeah yeah you guys always want to be first, first served, first on a train ....  :unsure:

Should have seen the look of everyone around me, half of them were laughing their ###### off, the other half was like WTF.

Holy that is absolutely brutal  :lol:  :lol:

Holy ###### that is absolutely brutal  :lol:  :lol:

Yeah well, two days later company letter hang out stating we should always be friendly to customers.

Everyone was pointing at me, but still haven't been called up to the boss' office. :D

Also sometimes to gain some respect you just have to be brutal and just don't give a about anyone's feelings.

I can't be mad at Huckleberry!

Its my name, nobody can be made at a Huckleberry :P

Edited by Huckleberry

#safespaces

Don't get me started on that .  I'll come off way to the right of JJ.

Antwerp the diamond capital of the world is only one hour away from where I work and live, Some are nice though, but if someone can make you emotionally feel like a toothpick is being pushed under your toe nail its just them.   Its really not weird at all, they will bring up WWII all the time as well as an excuse why you should give them preference.  

My brother once got called a Nazi, well yeah the blond hair and blue eyes must have triggered that one, they also have some ritual where Orthodox Jews are not allowed to speak or interact for some time with "non clean" people.    Which at that point in time was going on, my brother who didn't know what he wanted because of that strange ritual couldn't help him until his son came to speak to him.

Also my brother had to keep back 3 Muslims from the warehouse who were just to eager to beat him up.   And the only way he could calm things down was to tell him he was going back in the line until he was able to communicate proper.   So yeah he got called a Nazi by them, but he probably saved them from a good ass whopping.

Its also not what they called him out to be, we couldn't give a ###### if they call us Nazi's, we are blonde and beautiful. :P

Its just the manner they threat people, we are all below them.

Should have seen the look of everyone around me, half of them were laughing their ###### off, the other half was like WTF.

I'm not sure I understood this, but it doesn't sound right.

Micro aggressions.

Someone, earlier, said something along the lines of "it's offensive if someone finds it offensive".

Maybe that's my half accurate paraphrase. If no one else said it, well, I just did for purposes of the following.

If you find spouse or golf outing offensive, the problem is your own.

IM often offensive HO.

And, because we're being so nice and making such progress, I'll toss this grenade. I find word policing, safe spaces, and micro aggressions to be thought, speech and idea limiting fascisms of the progressive left. A distinction it's my experience the left will claim, by the way, until the right points it out.

Edited by N'eo

Micro aggressions.

Someone, earlier, said something along the lines of "it's offensive if someone finds it offensive".

Maybe that's my half accurate paraphrase. If no one else said it, well, I just did for purposes of the following.

If you find spouse or golf outing offensive, the problem is your own.

IM often offensive HO.

Not sure someone did, but if so, that's taking it too far.

It's offensive if an entire community finds it offensive.

Not sure someone did, but if so, that's taking it too far.

It's offensive if an entire community finds it offensive.

I'll stake a claim. If an entire community finds spouse offensive, it's still not offensive. I'll add golf outing!

And now, I'm joining my spouse, in our marital bed, to sleep, in order to rise early and earn a living wage and ultimately enjoy the fruits of my labor, as she and I see fit. God willing.

Edited by N'eo

I'll stake a claim. If an entire community finds spouse offensive, it's still not offensive. I'll add golf outing!

And now, I'm joining my spouse, in our marital bed, to sleep, in order to rise early and earn a living wage and ultimately enjoy the fruits of my labor, as she and I see fit. God willing.

I was hoping you'd get some action.  Sorry.

Yeah in the article it's "round of golf"

The guide also discourages staff from inviting others to play a “round of golf,” which assumes “employees have the financial resources/exposure to a fairly expensive and inaccessible sport.”

utter insanity and a perversion of generally accepted language - now being hijacked by the uber microaggressive

Is black offensive? Is African American accurate anyhow?

That's a curious subject.

My older kids attended a middle school that was predominantly ... African American. When my kids used that politically correct term to describe black Americans, their classmates would howl and laugh, and insist they just use the term "black."

Even so: YMWV. So tread carefully.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I'll see that "round of golf" and raise it by some culturally insensitive college dining hall banh mi or sushi.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/12/21/oberlin-college-sushi-disrespectful-to-japanese/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.