Evander Kane arrested on misdemeanor charge for June nightclub incident

Hoss

That link won't open for me, is it anything more than what's written in the Globe & Mail?

It wouldn't open for me, either, and I use that site weekly.

So I did go to the NY court e-filing site (this requires a username and password), and all I can say is that the complaint is incredibly vague.  There are absolutely no specifics at all as to what happened.

If someone wants to tell me how to upload a .pdf, I'll try it tomorrow afternoon.

yeesh, that stuff from december sounds bad: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/woman-sues-sabres-evander-kane-claiming-he-injured-her/article31227641/

I am fully on the "get Kane gone" bandwagon.

So this is the same woman who couldn't remember anything so they didn't have enough evidence to charge him?

So this is the same woman who couldn't remember anything so they didn't have enough evidence to charge him?

Hold up there.

Not remembering anything and leaving a place with injuries, not remembering the cause, are two different things.  I've been hit with roofies twice.  The first time, I believe it was unintentional (i.e., not intended for me, but I'm glad I "took the bullet" for the woman for whom it was intended); the second time, I believe it absolutely was intentional.  I didn't remember about a five hour period each time.

She may have something here; she may not.

Incredibly vague, but very much the norm for personal injury complaints, yeah, Eleven?

I don't imagine the Bill of Particulars will get e-filed.

And in re Robins Egg: This is the woman who a police source said was having "memory issues." Still, not having enough to pursue a conviction is hella different than whether you have enough to prevail in a civil case.

I find it interesting that her online and social media footprints are GHOST. Not even those cache aggregator sites have retained any of her data.

Incredibly vague, but very much the norm for personal injury complaints, yeah, Eleven?

I don't imagine the Bill of Particulars will get e-filed.

And in re Robins Egg: This is the woman who a police source said was having "memory issues." Still, not having enough to pursue a conviction is hella different than whether you have enough to prevail in a civil case.

I find it interesting that her online and social media footprints are GHOST. Not even those cache aggregator sites have retained any of her data.

1.  I don't know.  That's not my area.  But reading that complaint, I have no idea what she alleges to have happened.

2.  They never are, right?  Again, not my area, and in my area, we use interrogatories, so no bills of particulars.  In fact, I've never drafted one, and the one time I had to respond to one, I had to turn to an insurance defense lawyer for help.  He looked at me like I was an idiot until I showed him what interrogatories look like.

3.  Right, and again, OJ.

4.  I think you said you knew her or at least her friends and family; did she have a big online presence to begin with?

And Im turning 49 in a couple months. Old school metal hold up the pinkie finger and 1st finger.

Got it! Just never seen it like dat b4!

I think it's supposed to be a fist with the index and pinky raised?   like so...

031.JPG

I don't know how you did it. You got Back To The Future powers or something cause that's Jimmy Vesey's pic on Aug 15th.

Right after he signs with us. 

Edited by beerme1

Well, you're assuming away the whole "guilty or innocent" question there, innit?

Bottom line is that we have no idea how he behaved or whether she is being truthful.  It's certainly possible that he forced himself on her.  It's also certainly possible that she is shaking him down or is PO'd at being told to get lost.  Or a number of other scenarios.

We have 4 women publicly saying he assaulted them.  Prior to this draft-weekend incident, I heard of one other account this winter at a party in Buffalo cornering a woman in a bathroom, dudes had to step in and break it up, etc.  I'm good with not-guilty in court of law if evidence isn't there. But man this stuff doesn't appear out of thin air.  

Because I have seen enough evidence to make me concerned that he is not a nice person, and that he lives a lifestyle that doesn't reflect my values. Like most dads, I want my daughters to hang out with nice people who share the values I've tried to give them.

I have not seen enough evidence that he is a negative influence on my hockey team, in fact the evidence seems to be the opposite.

I can work with a-holes as long as they contribute to the goals of the organization. He's not the first a-hole to play for the Sabres and he likely won't be the last.

As more facts come out about Kane and it is proven he is worse than just another ahole, my views may change.

When I think of shared values I think of work ethic, honesty, integrity, etc.  I don't think of not using your power as a celebrity and strength as a man to assault women.  I'm not suggesting his on the ice contribution is a negative.  I'm saying if as a fan-base we are cheering for him, that's up. Pegula's need to recognize that and not put the community in that situation.  

The man is a hockey player. He (hopefully) provides me entertainment a few nights a week for a few months out of the year. If I don't find him worthy of dating my daughters (granddaughters, I didn't have daughters, I had sons, but that's not the point) I should no longer want him to entertain me? What the ######?

I can parse it that way for regular stuff like recreational drug use, a DWI, bar fight, etc, but not for beating up on women. 

And if he is proven to have been beating up women, Pegula should step in.

At this point he isn't even accused of assault. He is accused of harassing women in a non-criminal fashion - bad enough on its own, but an example of how stories get out of control.

I am not defending Evander Kane. I agree the smoke makes it easier to believe there may be fire.

But among my values is respecting the principles of due process and innocent until proven guilty.

Internet speculation based on sketchy reports isn't going to help the process of justice, and I am now verging on being guilty of participating in it. I think I better rest on that point.

Edited by dudacek

I am not defending Evander ###### Kane. I agree the smoke makes it easier to believe there may be fire.

But among my values is respecting the principles of due process and innocent until proven guilty.

Internet speculation based on sketchy reports isn't going to help the process of justice, and I am now verging on being guilty of participating in it. I think I better rest on that point.

Yeah, this about where I am.  Frankly, I just want to watch hockey.

Hold up there.

Not remembering anything and leaving a place with injuries, not remembering the cause, are two different things.  I've been hit with roofies twice.  The first time, I believe it was unintentional (i.e., not intended for me, but I'm glad I "took the bullet" for the woman for whom it was intended); the second time, I believe it absolutely was intentional.  I didn't remember about a five hour period each time.

She may have something here; she may not.

You're either running in the wrong circles or you need to be more careful with your drinks.

You're either running in the wrong circles or you need to be more careful with your drinks.

I know Eleven is much older than me but when you pay $5 for a cup for some jungle juice and find out there's roofies in it you just keep going because you're a poor college student who can't waste $5 on an empty plastic cup.

Edit: to be fair I've never found out I had been roofied until after it already happened so this is mostly a joke.

Edited by Hoss

1. I don't know. That's not my area. But reading that complaint, I have no idea what she alleges to have happened.

2. They never are, right? Again, not my area, and in my area, we use interrogatories, so no bills of particulars. In fact, I've never drafted one, and the one time I had to respond to one, I had to turn to an insurance defense lawyer for help. He looked at me like I was an idiot until I showed him what interrogatories look like.

3. Right, and again, OJ.

4. I think you said you knew her or at least her friends and family; did she have a big online presence to begin with?

1. Not my area either. But I have dabbled. That's how those things read in my experience, more or less.

2. The advent of electronic filing results in all sorts of things being filed that shouldn't be filed -- attorneys like saving money on service by mail, maybe?

3. Yessir.

4. I peripherally know a woman by that name. No idea what her social media presence was, but I think I can very safely assume she had one (and given her age that it would number in 4 figures of posts). On Twitter? Accounts in her name have been disabled, and there are just a few stray @'s mentioning those handles. I don't think that's by accident. Her lawyer knows what he's doing -- smart.

I have to wonder if Kane was set up by people who don't like him, maybe even Pegula. We'll see if Cambria can wiggle out of this one. The legal system in Buffalo, (Dr. Corasanti case) is really amazing in not such a good way. 

This may be the dumbest conclusion to a sentence I have ever read on this board. I am not trying to be mean but why would the owner of a pro sports team set up one of his own players because he didn't like him, instead of just ordering the GM to trade a valuable asset away? 

Pegula "Hey Tim, you know I kinda wanna sabotage Kane, don't like the cut of his jib"

GMTM "Well Terry I can trade him to Vancouver or Edmonton"

Pegula "No no, let me explain my elaborate plot to frame him for assaulting women"

GMTM "Or if you really don't like him, I can trade him"

Pegula "First what we do is..."

GMTM "OR I CAN ###### TRADE HIM WHILE HE IS WORTH SOMETHING!"

Your sentence makes almost no sense. Pegula may have set up Kane, seriously? #fail

Edited by LGR4GM

This may be the dumbest conclusion to a sentence I have ever read on this board. I am not trying to be mean but why would the owner of a pro sports team set up one of his own players because he didn't like him, instead of just ordering the GM to trade a valuable asset away? 

Pegula "Hey Tim, you know I kinda wanna sabotage Kane, don't like the cut of his jib"

GMTM "Well Terry I can trade him to Vancouver or Edmonton"

Pegula "No no, let me explain my elaborate plot to frame him for assaulting women"

GMTM "Or if you really don't like him, I can trade him"

Pegula "First what we do is..."

GMTM "OR I CAN ###### TRADE HIM WHILE HE IS WORTH SOMETHING!"

Your sentence makes almost no sense. Pegula may have set up Kane, seriously? #fail

:worthy:

We have 4 women publicly saying he assaulted them.  Prior to this draft-weekend incident, I heard of one other account this winter at a party in Buffalo cornering a woman in a bathroom, dudes had to step in and break it up, etc.  I'm good with not-guilty in court of law if evidence isn't there. But man this stuff doesn't appear out of thin air.  

Not publicly.  Anonymously.

This is where I am - somewhat to my surprise.

A switch flipped for me at some point: Why do I - as a fan - feel the need to look to the criminal justice system as a proxy for how I feel about a guy on my favourite team? Or the civil justice system, for that matter? I'm just done with the guy. I've concluded he's a player whose on-ice contributions are a mixed bag, and whose off-ice contributions are undesirable. As for the off-ice stuff, I'm even folding in the GM TM talk about how he had been trying to prod Kane to be one of the fellas ("open up" was the phrase GM TM actually used). 

From the FWIW file: I have an old friend who's an accountant at one of the major shops in town. One of his clients is a niche security company. The principal of that company is a former cop - the guy knows people all over town. The security company does have some standard commercial contracts (office buildings), but their focus is on high-wealth/high-profile individuals. Anyhoo. I happened upon the accountant and the security company guy at the bar of a downtown restaurant this spring, and sat down for a drink. We got onto the subject of the Sabres, and the security guy told two stories about E. Kane. I think one may be the same incident to which you're referring above. The stories were both in that same vein -- the guy (Kane) gets exercised and agitated about matters pertaining to a woman he is with and/or wants to be with and creates a bad environment for those around him. This was before the Bottoms Up incident.

I'm just done with the guy. And if he proceeds to prove me wrong and/or my feelings misplaced, more power to him. But I'll own what I feel about him right now.

Edited by That Aud Smell

This is where I am - somewhat to my surprise.

A switch flipped for me at some point: Why do I - as a fan - feel the need to look to the criminal justice system as a proxy for how I feel about a guy on my favourite team? Or the civil justice system, for that matter? I'm just done with the guy. I've concluded he's a player whose on-ice contributions are a mixed bag, and whose off-ice contributions are undesirable. As for the off-ice stuff, I'm even folding in the GM TM talk about how he had been trying to prod Kane to be one of the fellas ("open up" was the phrase GM TM actually used). 

From the FWIW file: I have an old friend who's an accountant at one of the major shops in town. One of his clients is a niche security company. The principal of that company is a former cop - the guy knows people all over town. The security company does have some standard commercial contracts (office buildings), but their focus is on high-wealth/high-profile individuals. Anyhoo. I happened upon the accountant and the security company guy at the bar of a downtown restaurant this spring, and sat down for a drink. We got onto the subject of the Sabres, and the security guy told two stories about E. Kane. I think one may be the same incident to which you're referring above. The stories were both in that same vein -- the guy (Kane) gets exercised and agitated about matters pertaining to a woman he is with and/or wants to be with and creates a bad environment for those around him. This was before the Bottoms Up incident.

I'm just done with the guy. And if he proceeds to prove me wrong and/or my feelings misplaced, more power to him. But I'll own what I feel about him right now.

I have to disagree that his on-ice contributions are a mixed bag, but I have a very hard time rooting for him now.  And sports are supposed to be fun, and if I want to root for my favorite team, I want to root for everyone on that team.  

So I'm afraid I want him gone, too.

I have to disagree that his on-ice contributions are a mixed bag, but I have a very hard time rooting for him now.  And sports are supposed to be fun, and if I want to root for my favorite team, I want to root for everyone on that team.  

So I'm afraid I want him gone, too.

Fair.

I dunno. I'm probably fixating on the stuff that doesn't/didn't work because of the other stuff. He is a good (sometimes very good) NHL winger. Those don't grow on trees.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.