Evander Kane arrested on misdemeanor charge for June nightclub incident

Hoss

@nfreeman: I looked. I don't see any such indication based on reviewing the word "December." I do see some cross-talk that could have given off the impression that the incidents were somehow related. For example:

The civil suit is related to the December incident at the Harborcenter and was leaked in the media the day Kane was arrested. It just got lost in the shuffle.

The woman he came with is claiming he told her there was a party he would take her to and then ended up just taking her back to his place (which is what Darren Sharper used to do to his victims).

I gotta believe the civil suit for the December incident doesn't get filed if not for the June incident. That reeks of opportunism.
Edited by That Aud Smell

Here's something on Kane that occurred to me:  Kane was under a microscope and frequently criticized in Winnipeg.  Yet until the December alleged incident in Buffalo, there were no accusations or even rumors concerning sexual assault.  It seems a bit strange that upon arriving in a new city, having been given a chance at a clean slate, he would turn into a marauding rapist.  Not impossible, of course, but not really logical either.

As for the notion that the accusers in the alleged Bottoms Up incident were of questionable character, while the accuser in the alleged December incident was a "nice girl" -- wasn't there some indication that the 2 alleged incidents were related, and that the accusers knew each other?

My point here is not to defend someone who assaults women -- of course, if that is the case, I want him gone as much as anyone else here does.  My point is just that no one here knows any of the facts, other than (i) the BPD investigated both incidents, dropped one entirely and deemed the other one "non-criminal" and (ii) young athletes are frequently targeted by scammers, including female scammers.

I think that Sabres fans, and posters here, should not be so quick to run him out of town.  We need some facts.

Totally fair, and pretty in line with where I'm at. However, I would like to present what I'd consider to be a not-from-Mars alternative: he was so under the microscope in Winnipeg that he turned inward, and was extremely protective of himself and cautious with his public life while in the city. He gets to a new city with a clean slate, breathes a heavy sigh of relief, and comes out of that protective shell. Perhaps the difference in "antics" between here and Winnipeg has something to do with the environment driving his level of caution and we see the results, not necessarily him becoming a different person.

I believe the link you guys are referring to above came from the Twitter feeds of some involved on the night of the Bottoms Up incident.

There were statements that made reference to a past history that led me to believe at the time that they were referring to the December incident.

It is possible, in retrospect that they may have instead been in reference to a past history with the complainants in the Bottoms Up incident and that I jumped to conclusions.

I believe the link you guys are referring to above came from the Twitter feeds of some involved on the night of the Bottoms Up incident.

There were statements that made reference to a past history that led me to believe at the time that they were referring to the December incident.

It is possible, in retrospect that they may have instead been in reference to a past history with the complainants in the Bottoms Up incident and that I jumped to conclusions.

Thanks.

There was this quote from one of the complainants:

“He came up to me like he always does,” one woman said in a sworn deposition. “He said, ‘You’re coming to my house with me and you’re going to like it.’ ... He grabbed my neck with both hands and pulled me close. It was like I couldn’t breathe. It hurt. When I told him no, he went off. That’s how he treats women. Aggressive and disrespectful.”

And the Acting DA added this:

Flaherty was asked about one of the women’s comments that indicated she had previous interactions with Kane.

“I think you realize that if you live in Buffalo, you pretty much run into the same people over and over again,” the acting district attorney said. “And, I think that’s the feeling I get is that they patronize the same place. And so they’ve seen each other there, just from my reading of the paperwork.”

+++ 

I don't think the implication was that the two incidents are related.

Totally fair, and pretty in line with where I'm at. However, I would like to present what I'd consider to be a not-from-Mars alternative: he was so under the microscope in Winnipeg that he turned inward, and was extremely protective of himself and cautious with his public life while in the city. He gets to a new city with a clean slate, breathes a heavy sigh of relief, and comes out of that protective shell. Perhaps the difference in "antics" between here and Winnipeg has something to do with the environment driving his level of caution and we see the results, not necessarily him becoming a different person.

But was he under a microscope in Atlanta? Seems doubtful, but haven't seen any data on that one. If he wasn't and there weren't these sorts of rumors, why not? (& If there were, why?)

But was he under a microscope in Atlanta? Seems doubtful, but haven't seen any data on that one. If he wasn't and there weren't these sorts of rumors, why not? (& If there were, why?)

Maybe - as he's gotten a bit older and a bit richer and has accumulated years of being an unchecked DB - he's become more and more of a brazen .

Sometimes these things take time.

No hockey players are under a microscope in Atlanta.

And I'll have my Sabres jersey on as I walk around Winnipeg for every day beerme1 has to potentially bear a Jets jersey in Buffalo.

Awesome!!    :beer:   Thank you brother, solidarity!   Thorny for PM

For some reason I was thinking if I lost I had to wear a Peg Myers jersey and Ducky had to wear a Buff Kane jersey. I want that more and more and thought that was the original bet. Imagine him wearing a Kane jersey and the questions he would endlessly get wearing that lol. 

I think the girl suing is looking for her pound of flesh (no pun intended) and she will ultimately lose because she had no memory of the event and the car was searched and nothing was found. What is new to me that I'm reading in here is that he had a driver.

I think the girl suing is looking for her pound of flesh (no pun intended) and she will ultimately lose because she had no memory of the event and the car was searched and nothing was found. What is new to me that I'm reading in here is that he had a driver.

It'd be a damn foolish thing to do to sue for a proverbial pound of flesh. While far from a certainty, she has risked having her life scrutinized and made the subject of intense public inquiry. Not something to be undertaken lightly.

I also find it interesting that there's no squawking about this young lady (Kuechle is her last name) on Twitter - not yet anyway. Remember the Pat Kane debacle? Holy crap. That girl's name got out there and there were dark corners of Twitter that were just gunning for her.

No hockey players are under a microscope in Atlanta.

And we don't have any stories ttbomk such as these past 2 from his days in Atl. So the, more leeway, lets be an ass wrt treating women now, doesn't appear to be the source of the alleged actions. Because when he had more leeway in Atl, it doesn't appear he was.

And we don't have any stories ttbomk such as these past 2 from his days in Atl. So the, more leeway, lets be an ass wrt treating women now, doesn't appear to be the source of the alleged actions. Because when he had more leeway in Atl, it doesn't appear he was.

What did you type this on?  A potato?  I can'd understand any of it!

Like I said.

Maybe - as he's gotten a bit older and a bit richer and has accumulated years of being an unchecked DB - he's become more and more of a brazen ######.

Sometimes these things take time.

Edited by That Aud Smell

You may have gotten hung up on "ttbomk", which I believe is Taro-speak for "to the best of my knowledge". 

Did he clarify this for you some time in the past, or did you actually decipher it? I'm impressed regardless.

Like I said.

Yea, I mean, who knows? I was just throwing it out there because I don't think him fundamentally changing who he is being unlikely inherently tells us much about why these accusations are happening here but not in Winnipeg. Maybe I pointed to the wrong environmental factor, but I think environmental factors may well be a part of it. Or always random chance. Again, who knows?

Edited by TrueBlueGED

That makes sense; can you translate the second sentence from Taro to English?

I think he was taking issue with TBPhd's theory that not being under the microscope in Buffalo (as he was in Winnipeg) may have freed Kane's inner beast -- i.e. he wasn't under the microscope in ATL either, and there were no sexual assault allegations there, so the theory doesn't hold water.

Did he clarify this for you some time in the past, or did you actually decipher it? I'm impressed regardless.

I think they call that a "moment of clarity."

Yea, I mean, who knows? I was just throwing it out there because I don't think him fundamentally changing who he is being unlikely inherently tells us much about why these accusations are happening here but not in Winnipeg. Maybe I pointed to the wrong environmental factor, but I think environmental factors may well be a part of it. Or always random chance. Again, who knows?

All fair. I'm sure it's a repugnant slurry of all those factors.

Honest question: Does the peculiarly hockey-mad market in Buffalo (well, niche-mad (the Bills still out-interest the Sabres by a WIDE margin)) create more opportunities for hockey players to find trouble than in other markets?

I'm trying to be delicate about this.

All fair. I'm sure it's a repugnant slurry of all those factors.

Honest question: Does the peculiarly hockey-mad market in Buffalo (well, niche-mad (the Bills still out-interest the Sabres by a WIDE margin)) create more opportunities for hockey players to find trouble than in other markets?

I'm trying to be delicate about this.

We don't hear about this stuff happening anywhere else with any other players currently do we?  So the answer is no. 

I'm not sure I follow.

Do I need to engage my sarcasm detector?

Are other Sabres players, or other players in other cities being accused of this stuff? If Buffalo is hockey crazy and that is resulting in the allegations then why has it only been Kane or Kane? Why in other hockey crazed markets do we not see this type of thing happening? To me you are implying that because Buffalo is big into hockey these women are fabricating stories to get theirs. If that were the case how come this isn't happening with other players in Buffalo and if this is a thing why isn't it happening with other players in other hockey crazed markets?

Are other Sabres players, or other players in other cities being accused of this stuff? If Buffalo is hockey crazy and that is resulting in the allegations then why has it only been Kane or Kane? Why in other hockey crazed markets do we not see this type of thing happening? To me you are implying that because Buffalo is big into hockey these women are fabricating stories to get theirs. If that were the case how come this isn't happening with other players in Buffalo and if this is a thing why isn't it happening with other players in other hockey crazed markets?

I don't think that's the implication.  I think the implication is that hockey players get more attention from women in Buffalo than in non-hockey-crazy markets.  And I know he's right.  

Before this gets misconstrued:  Attention from women does not equate to doing what one pleases with said women.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.