Cam Fowler Trade Speculation Thread

LGR4GM

• 2 weeks later...

Kane's injury probably creates the cap space needed to acquire Fowler. What will it cost?

This trade is now necessary because the defense against the Habs was horrible. Gorges and Franson are just to slow. At least one of them needs to be on the bench permanently. Fowler is a left handed shot, but I suspect Franson is the one who hits the pine. In addition, we need Fowler's playmaking skills to help drive offense now that we are essentially an entire 1st line is out.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Kane's injury probably creates the cap space needed to acquire Fowler. What will it cost?

This trade is now necessary because the defense against the Habs was horrible. Gorges and Franson are just to slow. At least one of them needs to be on the bench permanently. Fowler is a left handed shot, but I suspect Franson is the one who hits the pine. In addition, we need Fowler's playmaking skills to help drive offense now that we are essentially an entire 1st line is out.

Except we were going to send them Kane in that deal weren't we? Or Zemgus, Marcus, and a first. Does that do it? Then where are we on forwards?

We literally have no idea on the severity and he'll be back one way or the other.

No, but by the looks of the injury this is going to be a long-term recovery. If it's broken ribs that 2 months before the ribs are healed, then add weeks to get back in shape, then if there is lung or blood vessel damage add more recovery time.

FYI: we have 2.288 in cap space, plus 1.5 in LTIR for McCormick. We can probably acquire Fowler now, especially if we demote Franson and get a cap savings of 950K.

The biggest issue I see is will ANA take picks and prospects for him since we are now so short up front.

I realize Franson and Gorges will always be whipping boys over the kids, and Franson was bad tonight, but the Sabres worst defender was easily Casey Nelson. If I was Therrien, my players had instructions to dump it in to his corner or drive it down his wing every chance they got.

I realize Franson and Gorges will always be whipping boys over the kids, and Franson was bad tonight, but the Sabres worst defender was easily Casey Nelson. If I was Therrien, my players had instructions to dump it in to his corner or drive it down his wing every chance they got.

I didn't notice a whole lot in Nelson tonight. I did notice Risto. In a very negative light.

Just for some clarification about the circumventing the salary cap ala Bowman. The reason he was able to do it is because when I player goes on IR the AAV temporarily doesn't count towards the cap. Once the regular season ends there is no more salary cap, so if an IR player returns in the playoffs his AAV won't count against the cap.

So it's a moot point until at least next year

Nelson and Franson were a train wreck all night. DD cannot pair them together again. Ever. I am losing faith in DD's "plan."

I think a bit of slack needs to be cut here.  It was already make do and mend mode before the first game of the friggin' season, and then things got worse during. 

Anaheim wants to shed salary.  It's going to cost a good prospect we would have a problem trading.  Sounds like the asking price in the summer was the Sabres 1st round pick.  So I bet Murray continues to balk at Nylander as the ask price.  Maybe we're looking at something like Bailey plus?  Fasching?  Asplund?  Guhle?  I think those are the guys that would be in play.

We really do need Fowler if we have any hope of making the playoffs this or next year before he becomes a UFA. At the very least he's good deadline bait next spring. 

I would happily give up a few quality depth players in order to get Fowler out. Gonna have to be someone cheap though. And maybe a high 2nd rounder. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.