Cam Fowler Trade Speculation Thread

LGR4GM

That's a maybe but guaranteed to lose someone of value to Vegas. That's why I think someone gets moved but I still say if it's to us and I also don't think it will be for Kane, we are going to have to move a Dman ourselves. I say the Sabres won't pay their 6th and 7th Dmen 7M.

Franson may or may not even play this year but it's his last one. We can easily carry him and Gorges. Gorges leaves after next year.

If I'm sending Kane to the ducks, I'm asking for Lindholm straight up.

Kane is a need for them, imagine him next to perry and getzlaf, they finnally get the LW that will create space for them.

Kane + Guhle + something f crappy gets you Lindholm, maybe

Despite my general pessimism about consummating a trade for Fowler, if we run a defense of:

Fowler-Risto

Kulikov-Bogosian

McCabe-Franson/Nelson

Gorges

I'll be pretty damn happy. Maybe Gorges can function on his off side if it's only sheltered 3rd pair duty? I think his game complements McCabe's pretty well.

Despite my general pessimism about consummating a trade for Fowler, if we run a defense of:

Fowler-Risto

Kulikov-Bogosian

McCabe-Franson/Nelson

Gorges

I'll be pretty damn happy. Maybe Gorges can function on his off side if it's only sheltered 3rd pair duty? I think his game complements McCabe's pretty well.

Thank you for coming around. Individually he may not improve us but as a collective he sure does. Screw that. Lets get Lindholm or Barrie.

Can I go all apostate here and raise the possibility that Hampus Lindholm may not be all that?

Now don't get me wrong, I love the kid, but I swear if you read the Internet you'd believe he was Niklas Lidstrom.

Pretty sure the only guy you could trade straight across for him is McDavid.

Guy's a 30-point player, who often gets second-line match ups and whose coach preferred Cam Fowler in the playoffs. I know he's an analytics star, but he's not top 50 in any traditional stat category, including the most important one for defencemen: ice time.

The kid is better than any Sabre defenceman and I expect he will eventually be a franchise defenceman.

But he ain't Ray Bourque yet.

Edited by dudacek

Can I go all apostate here and raise the possibility that Hampus Lindholm may not be all that?

Now don't get me wrong, I love the kid, but I swear if you read the Internet you'd believe he was Niklas Lidstrom.

Guy's a 30-point player, who often gets second-line match ups and whose coach preferred Cam Fowler in the playoffs. I know he's an analytics star, but he's not top 50 in any traditional stat category, including the most important one for defencemen: ice time.

The kid is better than any Sabre defenceman and I expect he will eventually be a franchise defenceman.

I get all that, but I'm not sure I could name 20 defensemen I'd rather have. I'm positive I couldn't name 30.

Buddy, you can do anything you want here. Almost. So in response to your feelings may I ask a simple question of you? Hammie or Fowler if you have a chance at either one?

I'd take Lindholm in a heartbeat over Fowler.

Like I said, love the kid, just think the worship has gone overboard.

He's no more of a sure thing than Reinhart - who is similar in that his game is in his head, not his hands and feet - who gets way less Internet love.

Edited by dudacek

This sounds exactly like the defense version of Reinhart, who is the generally accepted price to acquire the guy. I don't see anything crazy going on here.

I'd take Lindholm in a heartbeat over Fowler.

Like I said, love the kid, just think the worship has gone overboard.

He's no more of a sure thing than Reinhart - who is similar in that his game is in his head, not his hands and feet - who gets way less Internet love.

Alright, you're sane and still with us. Now did you hear that GMTM traded Samson for Fowler straight up?

Is a trade for Fowler even necessary at this point?  I know GMTM said he wants 2 more D, but acquiring Fowler seems counter productive at this point.

1) Ana is a budget team and they need to move Fowler to create space to re-sign Lindholm.  With Risto, Girgensons, and Foligno to re-sign, do we even have the cap space to take on more cap then we give back?

2) We have balance between L/R.  Acquiring Fowler either puts Gorges to the bench or playing R D while demoting McCabe to the 3rd pairing,  I don't like that at all.  I want McCabe playing 20+ and I want Gorges physical presence in the lineup.  

3) It also makes a mess of expansion.  We can either keep 8 skaters and a G or 3 D, 7 F and a G.  Right now we are set up to keep 3 D (Risto, McCabe and Bogo) and 7 F.  Getting Fowler either forces us to expose McCabe to keep 7 forwards or forces us to protect 4 D (Fowler, Risto, McCabe and Bogo) and 4 F (ROR, Okposo and 2 others). I don't like this at all.

4) Personally, I think Guhle could give us everything Fowler does in another season or 2.  I'm not sure I want to trade forward assets today when we have a cheaper internal solution.

The point of Fowler is that he improves our top four and our depth now and going forward.

We would have enough money going out in a Fowler trade to accommodate Risto and the others. We could create more space by trading a veteran like Ennis or Gorges or Franson for futures if needed. The cap right now shouldn't be a worry.

Expansion draft concerns are overrated, IMO. If your fifth forward or fourth defenceman is that much better than the other teams' you should be able to trade him prior to expansion and get something. If not, you're not losing anything more valuable than the rest of the league is. We are in an enviable position with forwards to move in a Carrier, Fasching, Bailey or Nylander into the spot of a Foligno or a Larsson, or an Ennis if one gets snatched up by Vegas. You could even add a sweetener to influence who they pick.

If McCabe is that good, we trade one of the four in front of him prior to expansion, or wait until after the draft to try to re-sign Kulikov. If he's not, then you expose him, knowing you have Guhle coming.

If you think McCabe is a 20-minute-plus guy on a contender this season, you don't make a move for Fowler, but he's not there yet.

Edited by dudacek

This sounds exactly like the defense version of Reinhart, who is the generally accepted price to acquire the guy. I don't see anything crazy going on here.

Reinhart is the generally accepted price for everything, it seems. Guy is seemingly in every trade proposal.

Isn't the reason the Ducks would move him is that they are trying to shed salary?

Partly, but it's more the long-term view of not being able to pay him, Vatanen and Lindholm moving forward than an immediate need to dump his contract. He's good value at $4 million, but won't fit when he comes up for renewal. They might be hoping to throw in a contract like Stoner or Bieksa.

After adding Kulikov and Rsto, Sabres aren't really in a position to be a dumping ground any more.

There is also a hockey trade aspect of them having plenty of good young defence, but wanting to add a young left wing who can play top six for them right now.

It's why a Girgensons trade makes some sense if you think you'll get a 40-point Girgs.

Shed $2 million, fill a need.

The point of Fowler is that he improves our top four and our depth now and going forward.

We would have enough money going out in a Fowler trade to accommodate Risto and the others. We could create more space by trading a veteran like Ennis or Gorges or Franson for futures if needed. The cap right now shouldn't be a worry.

Expansion draft concerns are overrated, IMO. If your fifth forward or fourth defenceman is that much better than the other teams' you should be able to trade him prior to expansion and get something. If not, you're not losing anything more valuable than the rest of the league is. We are in an enviable position with forwards to move in a Carrier, Fasching, Bailey or Nylander into the spot of a Foligno or a Larsson, or an Ennis if one gets snatched up by Vegas. You could even add a sweetener to influence who they pick.

If McCabe is that good, we trade one of the four in front of him prior to expansion, or wait until after the draft to try to re-sign Kulikov. If he's not, then you expose him, knowing you have Guhle coming.

If you think McCabe is a 20-minute-plus guy on a contender this season, you don't make a move for Fowler, but he's not there yet.

If you look at Fowler's advanced stats, I'm not sure he is an improvement in our top 4 other then he is a PP QB.  McCabe from Mar 1 on last year was skating about 21 minutes a night. including over 2 min per game in PK time.  We acquired Kulikov to be in our top 4 and we already have Risto and Bogo on the right side.  I just don't see how Fowler, after we acquired Kulikov, is an improvement in our top 4.  I was thrilled about getting Fowler before the Kulikov deal. However. in comparing McCabe vs Fowler in our top 4, I think McCabe can deliver as much as Fowler for significantly less.  Also Bogo, Risto and Kulikov are not exactly the greatest in zone D.  Adding Fowler to that mix wouldn't help.  McCabe is the superior in zone defender to Fowler and the 3 incumbents.  We need someone in the top 4 who can actually play in his own zone.  Save the money and assets for later in the season when injuries and holes develop.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.