Cam Fowler Trade Speculation Thread

LGR4GM

I'm just closing my eyes the ~15-20 games Bogo misses :lol:

I wonder if Murray thinks about it this way. Does he maintain an optimism that he'll be able to stay healthy (potentially against his better judgement)? Or does he actively plan or account for a coming injury?

I don't think he can plan for a Bogosian-specific injury. Wouldn't want to view him in that light. He does have a duty however to plan for a defensive injury in general way, providing the team with a 7th man that can step in and play, when an injury inevitably hits. Will be interested to see who it is that Murray adds as the 7th man, if he does indeed add.

Has there been any report on franson regarding his recovery from his brain being squished ? because everyone here keeps counting him in their line up.

I haven't heard he's not playing, so I'm taking a glass half full approach.

I wonder if Murray thinks about it this way. Does he maintain an optimism that he'll be able to stay healthy (potentially against his better judgement)?

What? GMTM doesn't have better judgement and certainly not optimism. he is going to get it done his way though make no mistake. ZFG!

What? GMTM doesn't have better judgement and certainly not optimism. he is going to get it done his way though make no mistake. ZFG!

I think what I meant is that I don't think he's so...cynical about Bogosian that he just flat out assumes he'll miss 20 games this season. TrueBlue, on the other hand.... :p

Fowler for Evander Kane is still floating around out there as a rumor. The Ducks just signed defenseman Korbinian Holzer to a one-way contract. They pretty much have to trade a defenseman.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/07/12/with-reported-re-signing-of-holzer-something-has-to-give-on-the-ducks-defense/

If Murray had a Kane for Fowler deal on the table he takes it. If there is a hold up it is on the Duck's end wanting to see how the Kane legal case proceeds.

We'd have to eat some of Kane's salary, I think. The Ducks are somewhat cap constrained since they still have to sign a few guys.

What about Kane, a prospect, and 30% salary retention for Fowler? Is that good or bad?

Bad, too much for Fowler plus we are starting to get to close to the cap ourselves to retain salary. RFA's to sign plus I think the holdup is how much salary the Ducks are willing to swallow. Okposo-Kuli and Risto are probably going to add around 17 to our cap so if we take on more Dman money something is going to have to give. Kulikov 4.5 Bogo 5 Franson around 3.5 Gorges around 3.5 and if Risto gets around 5.5-6 aav you're talking close to 27M for your 6 defenders if Fowler is added, I don't see it without 1 of them going. Much less take on salary also.

Bad, too much for Fowler plus we are starting to get to close to the cap ourselves to retain salary. RFA's to sign plus I think the holdup is how much salary the Ducks are willing to swallow. Okposo-Kuli and Risto are probably going to add around 17 to our cap so if we take on more Dman money something is going to have to give. Kulikov 4.5 Bogo 5 Franson around 3.5 Gorges around 3.5 and if Risto gets around 5.5-6 aav you're talking close to 27M for your 6 defenders if Fowler is added, I don't see it without 1 of them going. Much less take on salary also.

Zack Bogosian makes 5.1 and will continue to make that until 2020. Kulikov's salary is a wildcard because we don't know what he will want after this season. Franson is off the books after this year 2016/17, Gorges is off the books after 2017/18. Fowler is on the books at 4mil until 2017/2018. 30% of Kane's salary would be 1.575mil meaning the Ducks would take 3.675 mil from Kane and lose the 4mil from Fowler.

So if we just look at 2017 season: Bogo 5.1, Fowler 4, Risto at 6 (your number), McCabe at 1.6, Gorges at 3.9, Kulikov at let's say 5.5, that equals 26.1million for your defense core in 2017. That core drops to 22.2 the following season with Gorges leaving. Also that retained Salary on Kane also ends the same year Fowler needs a new contract. Seems easily doable to me considering you don't have to sign and expensive forward until Jack, Sam come up for it in 2018. 

We have 9million in cap space. Retaining salary balances the trade to make it palatable to the ducks. We take on 4 for Fowler plus that 1.575 in retained equaling only 325k in additional Salary added to our cap, that's a paltry amount and easily fits into our cap for the next 2 years. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Yes we have around 9M left but we still need to sign Risto-Girgs and Folgno, somebody needs to go and most likely it'll be on D. They won't pay around 7M for your 6th and 7th Dman in Franson-Gorges. Risto-Kulik-Bogo-Fowler-McCabe will be your top 5 if things stay as you say.

I do 't think that's how GMTM will do it. Plus that leaves little wiggle room later especially if teams know your at the limit

Yes we have around 9M left but we still need to sign Risto-Girgs and Folgno, somebody needs to go and most likely it'll be on D. They won't pay around 7M for your 6th and 7th Dman in Franson-Gorges. Risto-Kulik-Bogo-Fowler-McCabe will be your top 5 if things stay as you say.

I do 't think that's how GMTM will do it. Plus that leaves little wiggle room later especially if teams know your at the limit

zemgus aND foligno aren't taking up 4 million in cap space I would think. Also it would give us 2 legit top pairs. I disagree with your cap assessment

Nah. If GMTM is going to trade Kane he'll just do it. Anything he does before August 15th will be done with the assumption that Vesey is not on the roster.

This.

If the trade is hinging right now it's either on the Ducks being unsure, or Murray liking Kane more than a lot on the board. Kane isn't facing criminal charges so not sure how much that is weighing in now if at all.

Murray would make the trade regardless of Vesey. He would hope that he signs, but if he doesn't, Murray could find a placeholder for top 6 LW like, say, Pirri, until Nylander is ready to step in to a top 6 role in a couple years.

I'd have to imagine that if the Ducks move Fowler, it's going to be for a much cheaper piece than Kane. Someone either on an ELC or a bridge. Their problem isn't the cap, it's cash (or will be, once Lindolm cashes in). Doubt they make a move for even money at this point.

Salary retention on Kane?

Salary retention on Kane?

Guess it ultimately depends how much Lindolm costs this year in cash (and probably whether Murray can get a temporary exemption to exceed the budget this season), but even at 50% retained it would only save the Ducks about $1.4 million over just paying Fowler. I think the money is so close that it's not enough to facilitate the trade, unless Bob Murray really thinks Kane makes them better. If it's purely a monetary reason to move Fowler, I don't think Kane is the right piece.

Maybe Girgensons, then. I do think that Fowler is going to command a higher price than that, and that we may potentially be priced out by another team. Seeing as how it's likely Fowler is moved, I'm a little surprised it's taking so long.

Maybe Girgensons, then. I do think that Fowler is going to command a higher price than that, and that we may potentially be priced out by another team. Seeing as how it's likely Fowler is moved, I'm a little surprised it's taking so long.

I guess my overarching point was I don't think Fowler gets moved for monetary reasons, unless ownership really puts its foot down and won't budge on cash (and it not like we even know exactly what their internal budget is, only that it exists). $4M for a top-4 Dman is perfectly reasonable, and it'd be pretty hard to get equal on-ice value for that price.

Getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler aren't getting any younger...I think they just hang onto Fowler and take another kick at the can rather than downgrading the active roster for money reasons. Hell, even Girgensons probably only saves them a couple million. Are they better off doing that, or finding a taker for Stoner (if they really need to shave a few million) for peanuts?

Interesting. Maybe the reason it's taking so long for him to be moved is....he's not going to be moved.

That's a maybe but guaranteed to lose someone of value to Vegas. That's why I think someone gets moved but I still say if it's to us and I also don't think it will be for Kane, we are going to have to move a Dman ourselves. I say the Sabres won't pay their 6th and 7th Dmen 7M. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.