Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

I went to hfboards and found fan lineup projections for various teams that are said to have interest. I took the top 9 forwards.

New Jersey Devils

Hall-Henrique-Bennett

Cammalleri-Zajac-Palmieri
Boucher-Josefson-DSP

Vesey is not going to supplant Taylor Hall. Palmieri is not a bad winger to play with, but Zajac/Josefson/Zacha are probably not ideal possible centers. He'd get power play time on this team but I'm not convinced he'd score very much. I do not like this forward corps. Seems that their main advantage is that he can be one of the main guys and that he's near Boston.

New York Rangers

Kreider-Stepan-Nash

Miller-Zibanejad-Zuccarello
Grabner-Hayes-Buchnevich

There's a spot in that top six for him IMO. The Rangers like to roll three lines, so I could a Miller-Hayes third line that opens up a spot. He'll get some decent players to play with no matter how it shakes out. If he's looking to cash in and leave in two years, he'll probably get some playoff games even if they are a team on the decline. Not an attractive long-term option if he's looking to stay with the team he picks. Also fairly close to Boston.

New York Islanders

Ladd-Tavares-Parenteau

Nelson-Strome-Bailey

Lee-Grabovski-Kulemin

Yikes. Could see substantial time with JT, especially if Ladd moves to center (has he played center before? for some reason I think of him as one) 
I'm not a huge fan of most of those players, though. I wouldn't bet that they're high on his list.

Pittsburgh Penguins

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist

Wilson-Malkin-Rust

Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel

No doubt Vesey would have a chance at lots of ice time with the best hockey player in the world, or one of the best ones right behind him. A team with as good a chance as any other to win a cup in the next two seasons. Let's hope Buffalo is the sweet spot in terms of maximum distance from Boston he'll go. 

Chicago Blackhawks

Panik-Toews-Hossa

Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Schmaltz-Kruger-Hinostroza

Another top six spot on a cup contender there, right next to Toews. Far away, though. I don't think he goes here. In part to back up that bold claim I made earlier, that the Sabres would win more playoff games this year.

Boston Bruins

Marchand - Bergeron - Heinen

Vatrano - Krejci - Backes
Beleskey - Spooner - Pastrnak

This is a crowded top nine, but I don't know who that guy on the right of Bergeron is. He'd probably get decent time with Krejci or Bergeron, and would be in a good spot to put up points. Hopefully those comments we've heard about from his dad and Jimmy Hayes are true, and he stays far away. I'm probably the most worried about Boston, though. It's his home.

Toronto Maple Leafs

Komarov-Kadri-Soshnikov

JVR-Bozak-Marner
Michalek-Matthews-Nylander

This team is still some time away from being any good, and there's a lot of potential, but if I'm Vesey and trying to max out my value for two years, this is a team I look at going to after that point, not signing with to accomplish that goal. 

Buffalo Sabres

Ennis-O'Reilly-Okposo

Girgensons-Eichel-Reinhart

Kane-Larsson-Foligno

Probably not how the lines will shake out, but if he comes here I look at moving Sam to center for most of the season even though it kills me to break up Eichel-Reinhart, and rolling three scoring lines. He'd get time with Jack or Sam or ROR. Good friends with Jack. I'm biased, but we do have one of the best situations going for him.

Solid work Flagg.

I remember A heart playing very well in the playoffs, I doubt Vesey gets to play with Sid.

Also, Ladd signed a monster deal with the Island, and I'd bet anything it included playing with JT; they're not going to be paying him that much to give that spot to Vesey, at least not starting off.

Edited by WildCard

I'm not anti-JV; count me in the apathetic "who cares I want the season to start now" camp.

Wants to be close too mommy so maybe he prefers the quiet, coddled experience of an empty Prudential Arena (just kidding...sort of).

I'm thinking you are anti JV. Sort of! I get it though.

Vesey's Meeting with the Bruins will be tomorrow afternoon at their new practice facility.

There is your winner.

Well I'm not sure anyone can beat that. A new practice facility that if they haven't named it yet, will be called the Vesey Ice Complex.

Buffalo Sabres

Kane-O'Reilly-Okposo

Ennis-Eichel-Vesey

Girgensons-Reinhart-Foligno

Probably not how the lines will shake out, but if he comes here I look at moving Sam to center for most of the season even though it kills me to break up Eichel-Reinhart, and rolling three scoring lines. He'd get time with Jack or Sam or ROR. Good friends with Jack. I'm biased, but we do have one of the best situations going for him.

I've changed your line up and am not so sure I like it like dat. Girgs may be gone and replaced by a Carrier or Bailey or some such guy.

But your points go back to my belief. We are the best overall solution for him. Especially if we made Sam a C and rolled three lines and he had to play on the third line with Sam and ? Life would still be a pretty good deal I think.

Throw in the friendship with Jack. The potential of the team on the upswing for a long time, the knowledge that you should be set up to stay in the same place for the second contract and all of the long term picture and it's us. Remember Suter and Parise as friends signing on Minny. Guys don't get the chance to do it like this often if ever so this may in fact be the ace.

Edit: Holy typos. even more than I could live with. To be fair women's beach volleyball was on.

Final Verdict: Buffalo

Edited by beerme1

Seriously, I'm intrigued by the possibility of Veesee going to the Rangers and Murray going after Nash. 

I'm good with that. In fact that is my preferred scenario! 

If Vesey signs here one or Kane or Girgensons won't be. Moulson's place is the wild card.

Right now the lineup is

Ennis ROR Okposo

Kane Eichel Reinhart

Foligno Larsson Gionta

Moulson Girgensons Bailey

If Vesey signs, just swap Vesey for Kane (with traded).

I forgot about Moulson! How convenient LOL

Why? 7.8 each season for the next 2 years for a diminished player who doesn't play defense. We don't have the cap space and don't need another over paid non-producer. We already have Moulson and Kane. That's enough thank you.

Nash has some pretty good defensive skills, and is one of the best penalty killing forwards in the league. He's averaged 35 goals/82 games over the last 4 years and the trade would obviously require the Rangers retain some salary. 

Might be the best option available if Veesee doesn't sign. 

Why? 7.8 each season for the next 2 years for a diminished player who doesn't play defense. We don't have the cap space and don't need another over paid non-producer. We already have Moulson and Kane. That's enough thank you.

Nash is big and has speed and could compliment Jack nicely for two years. But Moulson.

I don't put Kane with Moulson in the same contribution column.

If Vesey signs here one or Kane or Girgensons won't be. Moulson's place is the wild card.

Right now the lineup is

Ennis ROR Okposo

Kane Eichel Reinhart

Foligno Larsson Gionta

Moulson Girgensons Bailey

If Vesey signs, just swap Vesey for Kane (with traded).

When Vesey signs, he'll slot in next to Eichel. But they'll flip Okposo & Reinhart (at least initially).

sorry I am a bit late to the Vesey party, I do too feel a bit of fatigue from his melodramatic sojourn (.....although he's entitled to do it)

w/out dissecting all the potential line combos here or there, I think it's going to be either Chicago or Buffalo....

This isn't so much a party as it is a combination of a political debate, a therapy session, and a wake.

balloon_drop.gif

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.