Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

it is still a "demand". Vesey holds ALL the cards. If a team doesn't offer a top-6 position and he wants one, he will walk. The team won't get to sign him. So, in effect, it is a "demand".

Huh?

That takes us right back to the original question; where is the link supporting this idea?

I have the same question. 

The only report I've seen indicates that Vesey wants a team where both the team and he can envision him playing among the top 6. That's just not a demand. It's asking whether it's possible he could play among the top 6. 

+++

R. Flagg is a madman.

Fun stuff, though.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I'm remembering reading something about Panarin being a little upset that the Hawks are having cap issues. Not in a sense that he regrets going there, but that he worries about the issues hampering their chances to field the best possible team. I think Vesey and his agent would take note of that. I imagine there's a lot of allure signing with a team that's won three of the past seven cups, but I'd prefer the team that will win three of the NEXT seven. 

Semantics. See what kas23 wrote just upthread.

Back off. I saw him first.

Can I say that I was having a crappy day and this and the comment that inspired it made me laugh out loud. Well done and especially thank you. 

Edited by BMWR100RT

I'm remembering reading something about Panarin being a little upset that the Hawks are having cap issues. Not in a sense that he regrets going there, but that he worries about the issues hampering their chances to field the best possible team. I think Vesey and his agent would take note of that. I imagine there's a lot of allure signing with a team that's won three of the past seven cups, but I'd prefer the team that will win three of the NEXT seven.

This. Vesey will be a RFA for his next deal on a team that needs to sign Panarin. How happy is Brandon Saad being a well paid Blue Jacket or Teravainen playing for The Canes? They both went from a legimate SC Team to a tire fire and a fairly competive team, respectively. He will have two shots at the cup then be traded to the highest bidder. Buffalo, Boston and Toronto would have space to re-sign him.

Can I say that I was having a crappy day and this and the comment that inspired it made me laugh out loud. Well done and especially thank you. 

I'm glad I did something nice for someone today.

The only report I've seen indicates that Vesey wants a team where both the team and he can envision him playing among the top 6. That's just not a demand. It's asking whether it's possible he could play among the top 6. 

And if the response is, no, we'd don't envision that, then what happens? It's a code.

"I'd love to come over tonight, baby. Can you envision me pouring you a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch in the morning?"

And if the response is, no, we'd don't envision that, then what happens? It's a code.

To me, the use of "both" in the article is a bigger tell. Both the team and Vesey would have to envision him possibly playing among the top-6. The Blackhawks may say they can see him among the top-6 and/or on a power play unit (and I would bet they'd say it if they thought it necessary to signing him), but maybe Vesey doesn't see it happening (given who else is on the roster). 

Also occurs to me: With a team like the Blackhawks, envisioning play among a "top 6" may not be as important. Being among a middle 6 would probably work just fine. Didn't Kessel help fuel the Pens SC run while playing on a "third line"? Shades of Vanek circa 2005-2006.

They look shiny because of Kane/Toews/Hossa/Keith/Seabrook having a bunch of cups, but their roster isn't as good as it was two seasons ago. Hossa is pretty average now, Seabrook is pretty quickly going downhill, their top two centers combined for 100 points (ours hit 116 or 117), and their bottom pair isn't any better than ours. I could see the Blues/Stars knocking them out in six, and us taking Florida or someone to seven games. 

The prediction is absolutely a risk, but I don't think it crosses over into crazy territory.

This prediction has the air of one being a little bit ahead of the curve in terms of the general consensus, but one that actually has a chance to come to fruition. Interesting stuff.

Aaaaaaand you lost me ;)

Back to Vesey: this thread is going to be (even more) awesome starting August 15.

This prediction has the air of one being a little bit ahead of the curve in terms of the general consensus, but one that actually has a chance to come to fruition. Interesting stuff.

Aaaaaaand you lost me ;)

Back to Vesey: this thread is going to be (even more) awesome starting August 15.

As in what? When he goes to a contender or possible Cup champ.

That takes us right back to the original question; where is the link supporting this idea?

GO SABRES!!!

Google "Boston Globe Vesey". First link:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/bruins/2016/07/02/jimmy-vesey-mulling-his-nhl-future/d0xIzgGvkAJD4kBOoI4dgK/story.html

I guess Smell wasn't lying when he posted that quote.

Do you think that's a legitimate question though? Do you think a prospective is going to say "no"? Since he specifically brought it up in an interview, it would seem like Jimmy would want more of a real answer rather philosophical musings of a GM. Edited by kas23

To me, the use of "both" in the article is a bigger tell. Both the team and Vesey would have to envision him possibly playing among the top-6. The Blackhawks may say they can see him among the top-6 and/or on a power play unit (and I would bet they'd say it if they thought it necessary to signing him), but maybe Vesey doesn't see it happening (given who else is on the roster). 

Also occurs to me: With a team like the Blackhawks, envisioning play among a "top 6" may not be as important. Being among a middle 6 would probably work just fine. Didn't Kessel help fuel the Pens SC run while playing on a "third line"? Shades of Vanek circa 2005-2006.

I like this. I read "both" as you do.

Do you think that's a legitimate question though? Do you think a prospective is going to say "no"? Since he specifically brought it up in an interview, it would seem like Jimmy would want more of a real answer rather philosophical musings of a GM.

Your questions, in turn:

I do.

Probably not.

I do not think it is a simple yes-or-no question. It's a question that leads to a conversation about what they think of him, what they've seen of him, where he could fit on the team, what he'd need to do in order to step into the sort of role he wants, etc.

I like this. I read "both" as you do.

:thumbsup:

Google "Boston Globe Vesey". First link:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/bruins/2016/07/02/jimmy-vesey-mulling-his-nhl-future/d0xIzgGvkAJD4kBOoI4dgK/story.html

I guess Smell wasn't lying when he posted that quote.

Do you think that's a legitimate question though? Do you think a prospective is going to say "no"? Since he specifically brought it up in an interview, it would seem like Jimmy would want more of a real answer rather philosophical musings of a GM.

Except that the quote from the article doesn't support the idea that Vesey is demanding a top 6 role. 

Random thoughts:

1. This thread is going to easily reach 2,000 posts.

2. Rick Azar should narrate the occasion.

3. August 15th will forever be known as VC Day in Buffalo, and a selfie of WildCard kissing Chz at Canalside will become iconic.

Random thoughts:

3. August 15th will forever be known as VC Day in Buffalo, and a selfie of WildCard kissing Chz at Canalside will become iconic.

Outstanding! LMAO. All future posts in this thread are ruined. 

GettyImages-72431352.jpg

Random thoughts:

Followed quickly by a hard slap I'm assuming :lol:

Except that the quote from the article doesn't support the idea that Vesey is demanding a top 6 role.

Ok, I'll try to say if a different way. Jimmy asks a team "do you envision me being in the top-6?" The team replies "Anything is possible, but no, we don't envision you in the top-6". Jimmy then has a choice to (a) walk away or (b) sign with the team anyway.

Based on that information, if chooses he chooses to walk away, because he said he desires to be in the top-6, then it was imperative that he be viewed as a top 6 player. It was a requirement. Since Jimmy is the only one making the decision here and he had to be viewed as a top-6 player to make this decision, you can say it was a demand that had to be met.

In effect, any little whim he desires can be thought of as a demand because if he doesn't get it, he won't sign.

Edited by kas23

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.