Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

I hear you too and like I said I'm not knowledgeable enough to look at youtube videos of Vesey and then say he can (fill in the blank).  But darn he's considering Chicago and he'll want top 6 minutes?  There's something uncomfortable about this dude for me.

As I said, I like the fact he wants top 6 minutes. That doesn't make him arrogant in my book, only confident; and there's a fine line to be sure. And if that is a condition he puts on teams, he is putting that much more pressure on himself to justify that demand, first before his teammates in camp and, secondly, the opposition around the league. He's creating quite a challenge for himself. 

I think too much is being made of the "top 6" guarantee. There are no guarantees. Does anyone REALLY think if he is promised a top 6 opportunity and he craps the bad, that Chicago or any other team would keep him in the top 6? 

GO SABRES!!!

As I said, I like the fact he wants top 6 minutes. That doesn't make him arrogant in my book, only confident; and there's a fine line to be sure. And if that is a condition he puts on teams, he is putting that much more pressure on himself to justify that demand, first before his teammates in camp and, secondly, the opposition around the league. He's creating quite a challenge for himself. 

I think too much is being made of the "top 6" guarantee. There are no guarantees. Does anyone REALLY think if he is promised a top 6 opportunity and he craps the bad, that Chicago or any other team would keep him in the top 6? 

GO SABRES!!!

I'm definitely not trying to sound sour or like I'm condemning the young man - it just seems a bit out of hand to me.  I guess I just don't know how to react when a report comes out that he's put Chicago on his short list.  There's just something about hearing that - that makes me think slow your role kid.  My guess is Chicago won't pre-negotiate top minutes - where a team like Buffalo might have that conversation.  I'm having a hard time figuring out what he could be looking for. 

He went from a prospect that appeared to be good enough to go to a team trending upwards and get minutes out of the gate - to possibly playing with Toews?

Someone please show me a quote from this chowda head that has him demanding a top 6 spot.

Definitely something that's just a rumor derived from that it appears he was offered that in Nashville.  I guess most just connected dots that it's what he'd be wanting from a team he chooses.

I'm definitely not trying to sound sour or like I'm condemning the young man - it just seems a bit out of hand to me.  I guess I just don't know how to react when a report comes out that he's put Chicago on his short list.  There's just something about hearing that - that makes me think slow your role kid.  My guess is Chicago won't pre-negotiate top minutes - where a team like Buffalo might have that conversation.  I'm having a hard time figuring out what he could be looking for. 

He went from a prospect that appeared to be good enough to go to a team trending upwards and get minutes out of the gate - to possibly playing with Toews?

That says FAR MORE about Chicago and what they think about Vesey than what it says about what Vesey thinks of himself. 

That says FAR MORE about Chicago and what they think about Vesey than what it says about what Vesey thinks of himself. 

Technically since they can't talk to him or his representation - are we naive to believe it's just Vesey wanting to talk to them?

Someone please show me a quote from this chowda head that has him demanding a top 6 spot.

It's posted upthread a bit. A Boston Globe writer did a piece on him right before the 4th of July. After using several direct quotes from Vesey, the reporter wrote the following (which is not a "demand" as some here have stated):

His checklist when considering where to play, said Vesey, will include the prospective team’s coach, its style of play, and whether both sides could envision him playing among the top six forwards and also on the power play. He’s not only looking at his first NHL deal, but the next one, one that will be all the more lucrative if he has goals and assists as bona fides.

Technically since they can't talk to him or his representation - are we naive to believe it's just Vesey wanting to talk to them?

I think the Blackhawk rumor gained traction mainly because of two factors: the Shaw trade that opened a spot and Stan Bowman's frequent attendance at Vesey's summer pro league games. That's in addition to Vesey's agent saying the 'Hawks are on his short list. 

GO SABRES!!!

Chicago isn't on the East Coast and has significantly more travel than a East Coats team though.  And, Vesey said he wanted to stay on the East Coast

And yet, his agent declared Chicago was on the short list of teams, anyway. 

GO SABRES!!!

I think the Blackhawk rumor gained traction mainly because of two factors: the Shaw trade that opened a spot and Stan Bowman's frequent attendance at Vesey's summer pro league games. That's in addition to Vesey's agent saying the 'Hawks are on his short list. 

GO SABRES!!!

Then would you agree that if it's only Vesey interested in them at this point - it's a bit presumptuous?

It's posted upthread a bit. A Boston Globe writer did a piece on him right before the 4th of July. After using several direct quotes from Vesey, the reporter wrote the following (which is not a "demand" as some here have stated):

His checklist when considering where to play, said Vesey, will include the prospective team’s coach, its style of play, and whether both sides could envision him playing among the top six forwards and also on the power play. He’s not only looking at his first NHL deal, but the next one, one that will be all the more lucrative if he has goals and assists as bona fides.

You can post that at the top of every page, but people still won't get it. Someone will ask a loaded question like "what demands are you speaking about". We can call it what we want, but it is still a "demand". Vesey holds ALL the cards. If a team doesn't offer a top-6 position and he wants one, he will walk. The team won't get to sign him. So, in effect, it is a "demand".

Then would you agree that if it's only Vesey interested in them at this point - it's a bit presumptuous?

I don't agree that it's only Vesey interested in them at this point, though. Based on appearances, it seems like the Blackhawks are also interested in Vesey at this point. Does Stan Bowman have a history of attending Foxboro summer pro league games? Are there other Blackhawk prospects he's keeping tabs on so it's just a coincidence that he's been in attendance when Vesey is playing? I honestly don't know and yes, there may be other reasons for him to be there, but it does add fuel to the rumor fire. 

GO SABRES!!!

You can post that at the top of every page, but people still won't get it. Someone will ask a loaded question like "what demands are you speaking about". We can call it what we want, but it is still a "demand". Vesey holds ALL the cards. If a team doesn't offer a top-6 position and he wants one, he will walk. The team won't get to sign him. So, in effect, it is a "demand".

That takes us right back to the original question; where is the link supporting this idea?

GO SABRES!!!

I don't think Chicago is better than they were last year, when they won three playoff games. I don't think it's that crazy.

Played a very strong Blues team. Who knows who they draw this time around, or who we do. We're likely a lower seed than them too

Played a very strong Blues team. Who knows who they draw this time around, or who we do. We're likely a lower seed than them too

They look shiny because of Kane/Toews/Hossa/Keith/Seabrook having a bunch of cups, but their roster isn't as good as it was two seasons ago. Hossa is pretty average now, Seabrook is pretty quickly going downhill, their top two centers combined for 100 points (ours hit 116 or 117), and their bottom pair isn't any better than ours. I could see the Blues/Stars knocking them out in six, and us taking Florida or someone to seven games. 

The prediction is absolutely a risk, but I don't think it crosses over into crazy territory. 

When Chicago played the Blues, weren't a couple of their defensemen out w/ injuries or playing w/ an injury? 

Their defensemen with the most games played during the regular season were:

Keith (67 GP) - Seabrook (81 GP)

Hjalmersson (81 GP) - Van Riemsdyk (82 GP)

Rozsival (51 GP) - Gustafsson (41GP)

And Daley (before the trade), Svedberg, Scuderi, Rundblad, and Ehrhoff ranging from 8-29 games played each. 

In the playoffs, Keith played 6 games (suspended game 1), Seabrook had 7, as well as Hjalmersson and TVR. Gustafsson had 5, Roszival 4, and Rundblad/Svedberg had 3 each. 

They basically had the same split in the playoffs as they did all season. Their top 3 defensemen are very good, and the depth is no better than any other team IMO, though the Campbell addition will help a bit. 

They look shiny because of Kane/Toews/Hossa/Keith/Seabrook having a bunch of cups, but their roster isn't as good as it was two seasons ago. Hossa is pretty average now, Seabrook is pretty quickly going downhill, their top two centers combined for 100 points (ours hit 116 or 117), and their bottom pair isn't any better than ours. I could see the Blues/Stars knocking them out in six, and us taking Florida or someone to seven games. 

The prediction is absolutely a risk, but I don't think it crosses over into crazy territory. 

I like the cut of your jib, Randall Flagg. I like it, indeed. 

GO SABRES!!!

Semantics. See what kas23 wrote just upthread.

I like the cut of your jib, Randall Flagg. I like it, indeed. 

GO SABRES!!!

Back off. I saw him first.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.