Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

You're not getting anything in that situation. The winning team has no incentive to pay. I suggested giving him a week window to talk to anyone but not sign. If he doesn't hear what he wants he signs here if he does move on. There is no incentive on his part or need on any teams part to move today other than fan paranoia. He isn't going to dev camp and camp doesn't open til September. Murray must operate like he doesn't exist.

With that said I am not sure I am interested in him as much as I was. His actions seem like some sort of "statement " that serves no purpose. If this is like Stamkos where he wants to see the color of the grass on the other side, but still staying home, I still don't quite get it. After Friday the picture is much clearer and there probably won't be landscape changing moves between now and 8/15.

I am not quite to pi level, but I think he may be overplaying the situation.

Edited by 3putt

Jimmy Vesey: ‘’I’m still going to go to free agency and explore all my options.''

https://twitter.com/GlobeKPD/status/749292366918475776

Sounds more like something he said right after the trade and he is rehashing it.     

Completely contradicts what his agent said just before that tweet.

On one hand, the Dupont article doesnt offer anything other than the same story Jimmy has been telling people for months.

On the other hand, it doesn't sound promising for Buffalo.

I don't think it's an open competition;

I think he has a team in mind that is going to have eliminate itself.

And given what's happened so far, that team doesn't look like Buffalo.

He has the right to do all this but it'll look sketchy as hell if he refuses to sign with anyone except for the team his dad works for (Toronto). Wanting to work for his dad's team seems a little weird to me too. I feel like guys in their early 20s want to do their own thing.

Buffalo still seems like a better fit than Toronto or Boston, but I'm wondering if he has interest in other teams too. He could join Tampa Bay and be contending for a Cup next year. Chicago? Pittsburgh?

“He’s told me they have a young team, and stuff like that,’’ said Vesey, constantly set up by velvety feeds from Eichel during the scrimmage. “And that it’s a good place to play, with passionate fans. But he said he’s not going to harass me or anything . . . obviously, it’s my decision and that’s that.’’

His checklist when considering where to play, said Vesey, will include the prospective team’s coach, its style of play, and whether both sides could envision him playing among the top six forwards and also on the power play. He’s not only looking at his first NHL deal, but the next one, one that will be all the more lucrative if he has goals and assists as bona fides.

Buffalo checks all the boxes on that list, if he chooses to play here fantastic, if not the Sabres have done everything they possibly could to get him here. 

Buffalo checks all the boxes on that list, if he chooses to play here fantastic, if not the Sabres have done everything they possibly could to get him here.

Agreed now it is important for his development if he is at camp, so I hope the meeting goes well with TM and if not move on fast... August 15 is not a deadline Sabres should adhere too if he wants to be here.

A bit presumptuous of him to think that he should be playing on the power play when he has not skated in an NHL game?  Must be quite confident in his abilities and where he will fit on an NHL team's roster of forwards.  I find the last comment about him thinking about the next contract a bit concerning.  Starting to think that he may be too selfish, self-impressed and high-maintenance.

I'm done considering where he'll be on our roster.

This is where I got to today. He has a right to do what he's doing and I hope we still end up with him, but I'm just tired of thinking about it. If he goes elsewhere I'll hate him because, as a fan, I have a right to. Especially if it's Toronto/Boston.

Posted Today, 03:11 PM

“He’s told me they have a young team, and stuff like that,’’ said Vesey, constantly set up by velvety feeds from Eichel during the scrimmage. “And that it’s a good place to play, with passionate fans. But he said he’s not going to harass me or anything . . . obviously, it’s my decision and that’s that.’’

His checklist when considering where to play, said Vesey, will include the prospective team’s coach, its style of play, and whether both sides could envision him playing among the top six forwards and also on the power play. He’s not only looking at his first NHL deal, but the next one, one that will be all the more lucrative if he has goals and assists as bona fides.

Ok, that, if true, eliminates Toronto. 

Edited by GoPre

A bit presumptuous of him to think that he should be playing on the power play when he has not skated in an NHL game?  Must be quite confident in his abilities and where he will fit on an NHL team's roster of forwards.  I find the last comment about him thinking about the next contract a bit concerning.  Starting to think that he may be too selfish, self-impressed and high-maintenance.

The contract thing doesn't bother me. When you're choosing a company to work for straight out of college (which is basically what Vesey is doing), you'd want to consider potential career trajectory and not just starting salary.

The contract thing doesn't bother me. When you're choosing a company to work for straight out of college (which is basically what Vesey is doing), you'd want to consider potential career trajectory and not just starting salary.

I completely agree w/ this. Who wouldn't?

But I must add the kid is rather cocky. Still hope he ends up in Buffalo. 

Edited by GoPre

He might be cocky. He might just be confident. Maybe he thinks he can do great things in the NHL but only if he's in the right situation.

It's tough to say. And it's frustrating for fans when we may have to wait all summer to see where his head is at.

This is where I got to today. He has a right to do what he's doing and I hope we still end up with him, but I'm just tired of thinking about it. If he goes elsewhere I'll hate him because, as a fan, I have a right to. Especially if it's Toronto/Boston.

To expand, I dont see any reason why those of us with no imside knowledge should feel better than neutral about his coming here (or worse, to be fair). Any lineup I'm discussing wont include him because it appears we've got no better shot at him than the rest of the league has.

And I'm starting to think he's got some real high maintenance tendecies, contract-wise. Dont plan on this guy once he hits ufa status.

Also, I don't understand the angst here. This is the exact same thing he's said all along. Also, the quotes predate the one Vogl got from his agent about meeting with Buffalo and being open to anything. Much ado about nothing here.

No angst here. Approaching apathy really.

I really do like the "potential" Vesey has in the NHL with this group of Sabres.  It took some time, but because of our ownership, hockey dept management and facilities the Sabres are turning into a destination.  Today we're Costa Rica...down the road?  I wouldn't say hockey heaven, but hey we could all be goin' to Sizzler!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.