Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

Waiting could be a risk in the case where Vesey is near set on Buffalo but not willing to commit until August, and if by so doing the Sabres move on and aren't willing to sign him anymore come August. So Vesey misses out on choice one. Not sure the Sabres would be unwilling to sign him though, for any reason.

But I won't rule out him signing come July. FAs like Yandle and Goligoski had a lot more to gain by waiting until they were on the open market, but didn't.

Vesey liked Casey Fitzgerald's brother's photo of Casey wearing his Sabres jersey at the draft.

Also, I verified that the Sabres store is selling #19 jerseys with blank nameplates.

Guess it's a done deal then.

Vesey's are family friends with the Fitzgerald's.

A pick and a free agent signing are different, but Murray did sign Cal O'Reilly for a reason other than being a call up from the minors. 

And Cal got to play. There may have been a hand shake deal that he would play with the big club for an extended period. GMTM kept his word. 

Agents talk.

Vesey's agent may be looking for something similar.

And Cal got to play. There may have been a hand shake deal that he would play with the big club for an extended period. GMTM kept his word. 

Agents talk.

Vesey's agent may be looking for something similar.

That's the red flag with Vesey IMO.  

Why is he so insecure that he needs guarantees of playing a top-6 role and getting so many minutes?   Is he willing to work hard enough to earn his spot?  Or he just wants it handed to him?  

Why is he so insecure that he needs guarantees of playing a top-6 role and getting so many minutes? Is he willing to work hard enough to earn his spot? Or he just wants it handed to him?

This is weak sauce. The whole argument. Fasching, Nelson and Ruhwedel must all be chumps then since they got guarantees of NHL playing time when signing here.

It's something he knows he can get. If he didn't ask for it somebody would've offered it anyways. There's no guarantee he wasn't offered it in Nashville before he asked for it.

Why is he so insecure that he needs guarantees of playing a top-6 role and getting so many minutes?   Is he willing to work hard enough to earn his spot?  Or he just wants it handed to him?  

How long do you have to keep that disgusting avatar...obviously you lost a bet correct?

This is weak sauce. The whole argument. Fasching, Nelson and Ruhwedel must all be chumps then since they got guarantees of NHL playing time when signing here.

It's something he knows he can get. If he didn't ask for it somebody would've offered it anyways. There's no guarantee he wasn't offered it in Nashville before he asked for it.

NSH told him he would fill a top-9 spot.    Is that the reason he walked away?  top-9 isn't good enough for a rookie who has never played a game of professional hockey?   Gimme a break.   

Fasching, Nelson, Ruhwedel will all be in Roch to start the season.   They're not gonna hold out of camp and demand a trade.  

It's a bad sign of things to come with Vesey.   Will he hold out with year left on his ELC?   Sounds like he would.

How long do you have to keep that disgusting avatar...obviously you lost a bet correct?

Until the season starts.

I did put shorts on him tho... mods were complaining.

NSH told him he would fill a top-9 spot.    Is that the reason he walked away?  top-9 isn't good enough for a rookie who has never played a game of professional hockey?   Gimme a break.   

Fasching, Nelson, Ruhwedel will all be in Roch to start the season.   They're not gonna hold out of camp and demand a trade.  

It's a bad sign of things to come with Vesey.   Will he hold out with year left on his ELC?   Sounds like he would.

Until the season starts.

We have no idea why he walked away from Nashville. Considering I have heard Nashville's gm say how they had Vesey penciled into their top 6 for the playoffs I think you are speculating wildly and like the rest of us have no idea what the Vesey Nashville issue really was about. For all we know Nashville isn't where he wants to be or their GM could have been an ass to Vesey or Vesey could be self centered or Vesey could hate the Nashville Preds cook, who the hell knows. 

Again wild speculation. You did the exact same things with Auston Matthews, you speculated that he was a lazy money grubbing kid who cared more about cash than his education because he didn't take the college route. You based it off of nothing. Anytime a player doesn't do what you think/believe they should or act the way you think they should you assume some gigantic overarching character flaw that makes them the most toxic thing since the Acid Blood in Aliens. 

Let's see what Vesey does and says after he signs with a team. Maybe he really just wants to play with Jack or in Boston or in wherever because that's what he wants. UFA's have a myriad of reasons why they go to places, Vesey will be no different and it doesn't necessarily make him a bad person. You are projected onto him. This is becoming a pattern. 

Edited by LGR4GM

We have no idea why he walked away from Nashville. Considering I have heard Nashville's gm say how they had Vesey penciled into their top 6 for the playoffs I think you are speculating wildly and like the rest of us have no idea what the Vesey Nashville issue really was about. For all we know Nashville isn't where he wants to be or their GM could have been an ass to Vesey or Vesey could be self centered or Vesey could hate the Nashville Preds cook, who the hell knows. 

Again wild speculation. You did the exact same things with Auston Matthews, you speculated that he was a lazy money grubbing kid who cared more about cash than his education because he didn't take the college route. You based it off of nothing. Anytime a player doesn't do what you think/believe they should or act the way you think they should you assume some gigantic overarching character flaw that makes them the most toxic thing since the Acid Blood in Aliens. 

Let's see what Vesey does and says after he signs with a team. Maybe he really just wants to play with Jack or in Boston or in wherever because that's what he wants. UFA's have a myriad of reasons why they go to places, Vesey will be no different and it doesn't necessarily make him a bad person. You are projected onto him. This is becoming a pattern. 

I have a problem with a guy who hasn't played a minute of professional hockey dictating where and who he gets to play with.   Playing the NHL is a privilege, not a right.

I'm not only concerned about his future contract demands, but also how well he'll be received in the locker room.    What if he's not very good?   Do you keep him on Eichel's wing no matter what, because that's what you were forced to promise him?   You move him down to the 3rd or 4th line and he doesn't show up for practice?  Now what?

How would you feel if your a Tyler Ennis and you lose your top-6 spot to this kid who's never done a damn thing in the NHL?

I like his talent, but there's countless names who had talent and didn't make it because they didn't work hard, or know what it really means to work hard and have respect for the league.    

WRT Matthews we'll see how it plays out.    For the record, I predicted he would peak as a top 10 scorer in the league, he'll sign a franchise deal, and then the downward spiral will begin.     

Edited by pi2000

I have a problem with a guy who hasn't played a minute of professional hockey dictating where and who he gets to play with.   Playing the NHL is a privilege, not a right.

How would you feel if your a Tyler Ennis and you lose your top-6 spot to this kid who's never done a damn thing in the NHL?

Eric Lindros called to say hello. Eli Manning was on hold for you.

The answer to your question is like a paid athlete. A very well paid athlete. Oh and while he was checking his feelings Marc Andre Fluery called in to say you should never lose your job due to injury.

Until the season starts.

The shorts are really helping. This is a welcome compromise, the spirit of your avatar has been conserved and yet I'm no longer frightened of a coworker seeing Gunner McGunnerson on my computer screen.

I have a problem with a guy who hasn't played a minute of professional hockey dictating where and who he gets to play with.   Playing the NHL is a privilege, not a right. Eric Lindros approves this message.

I'm not only concerned about his future contract demands, but also how well he'll be received in the locker room.     Well, we know at minimum Eichel hates the guy. What if he's not very good?   Do you keep him on Eichel's wing no matter what, because that's what you were forced to promise him?   Of course not, you don't guarantee him top 6 all year; you guarantee the right to get beat out from there. You move him down to the 3rd or 4th line and he doesn't show up for practice?  Now what? Seriously? You really are asking this as if it might actually happen? On the 2% chance the Q wasn't rhetorical, you fine him, then bench him, then send him down the 90, then you stop paying him while retaining his rights on failure to report.

How would you feel if your a Tyler Ennis and you lose your top-6 spot to this kid who's never done a damn thing in the NHL? REEEEAAALY wish I hadn't turned my back when Ovie had me lined up. ;)

I like his talent, but there's countless names who had talent and didn't make it because they didn't work hard, or know what it really means to work hard and have respect for the league.     And winning the Hobey Baker PROVES he won't work hard. Right?

WRT Matthews we'll see how it plays out.    For the record, I predicted he would peak as a top 10 scorer in the league, he'll sign a franchise deal, and then the downward spiral will begin.

:p

:P

Lindros was a different situation entirely.    Quebec was barely hanging on as a franchise at that point.    NSH is a contender on solid financial ground with one of the best GMs in the league.   Everybody keeps suggesting NSH did something to piss him off.   Really?  I don't believe for one second that Poile mis-handled Vesey.   Poile is one of the most respected GMs in the league.    I think Vesey and his camp are manipulating the process for whatever reason, guaranteed future money, attention, he doesn't like country music, etc...   And it reflects poorly on him.    The more I think about it, the more I hope he takes his circus someplace else.    

Winning the Hobey Baker proves nothing, especially in your senior season.    It's no guarantee of future success.   

If BUF signs him and he doesn't produce they're going to have a very messy situation on their hands.... try sending him to Roch, he doesn't report, holds out demanding a trade, basically the Drouin saga all over again, but now it involves Eichels buddy.   How much of a distraction will be for a young Eichel to have to answer for his friends actions?   Constant badgering by the media "what's wrong with Jimmy?" etc...   Eichel's production drops as a result, and the whole thing blows up into a fantastic hot mess...... or Vesey scores 30g on Eichels wing in his first season on the way to the confernce finals.

Edited by pi2000

Lindros was a different situation entirely.    Quebec was barely hanging on as a franchise at that point.    NSH is a contender on solid financial ground with one of the best GMs in the league.   Everybody keeps suggesting NSH did something to piss him off.   Really?  I don't believe for one second that Poile mis-handled Vesey.   Poile is one of the most respected GMs in the league.    I think Vesey and his camp are manipulating the process for whatever reason, guaranteed future money, attention, he doesn't like country music, etc...   And it reflects poorly on him.    The more I think about it, the more I hope he takes his circus someplace else.    

Winning the Hobey Baker proves nothing, especially in your senior season.    It's no guarantee of future success.   

If BUF signs him and he doesn't produce they're going to have a very messy situation on their hands.... try sending him to Roch, he doesn't report, holds out demanding a trade, basically the Drouin saga all over again, but now it involves Eichels buddy.   How much of a distraction will be for a young Eichel to have to answer for his friends actions?   Constant badgering by the media "what's wrong with Jimmy?" etc...   Eichel's production drops as a result, and the whole thing blows up into a fantastic hot mess...... or Vesey scores 30g on Eichels wing in his first season on the way to the confernce finals.

Let us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherized upon a table;
Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
The muttering retreats
Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels
And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells:
Streets that follow like a tedious argument
Of insidious intent
To lead you to an overwhelming question ...
Oh, do not ask, “What is it?”
Let us go and make our visit.

In the room the women come and go
Talking of Michelangelo.

The yellow fog that rubs its back upon the window-panes,
The yellow smoke that rubs its muzzle on the window-panes,
Licked its tongue into the corners of the evening,
Lingered upon the pools that stand in drains,
Let fall upon its back the soot that falls from chimneys,
Slipped by the terrace, made a sudden leap,
And seeing that it was a soft October night,
Curled once about the house, and fell asleep.

And indeed there will be time
For the yellow smoke that slides along the street,
Rubbing its back upon the window-panes;
There will be time, there will be time
To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet;
There will be time to murder and create,
And time for all the works and days of hands
That lift and drop a question on your plate;
Time for you and time for me,
And time yet for a hundred indecisions,
And for a hundred visions and revisions,
Before the taking of a toast and tea.

In the room the women come and go
Talking of Michelangelo.

And indeed there will be time
To wonder, “Do I dare?” and, “Do I dare?”
Time to turn back and descend the stair,
With a bald spot in the middle of my hair —
(They will say: “How his hair is growing thin!”)
My morning coat, my collar mounting firmly to the chin,
My necktie rich and modest, but asserted by a simple pin —
(They will say: “But how his arms and legs are thin!”)
Do I dare
Disturb the universe?
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

For I have known them all already, known them all:
Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;
I know the voices dying with a dying fall
Beneath the music from a farther room.
               So how should I presume?

And I have known the eyes already, known them all—
The eyes that fix you in a formulated phrase,
And when I am formulated, sprawling on a pin,
When I am pinned and wriggling on the wall,
Then how should I begin
To spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways?
               And how should I presume?

And I have known the arms already, known them all—
Arms that are braceleted and white and bare
(But in the lamplight, downed with light brown hair!)
Is it perfume from a dress
That makes me so digress?
Arms that lie along a table, or wrap about a shawl.
               And should I then presume?
               And how should I begin?

Shall I say, I have gone at dusk through narrow streets
And watched the smoke that rises from the pipes
Of lonely men in shirt-sleeves, leaning out of windows? ...

I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

And the afternoon, the evening, sleeps so peacefully!
Smoothed by long fingers,
Asleep ... tired ... or it malingers,
Stretched on the floor, here beside you and me.
Should I, after tea and cakes and ices,
Have the strength to force the moment to its crisis?
But though I have wept and fasted, wept and prayed,
Though I have seen my head (grown slightly bald) brought in upon a platter,
I am no prophet — and here’s no great matter;
I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker,
And I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker,
And in short, I was afraid.

And would it have been worth it, after all,
After the cups, the marmalade, the tea,
Among the porcelain, among some talk of you and me,
Would it have been worth while,
To have bitten off the matter with a smile,
To have squeezed the universe into a ball
To roll it towards some overwhelming question,
To say: “I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all”—
If one, settling a pillow by her head
               Should say: “That is not what I meant at all;
               That is not it, at all.”

And would it have been worth it, after all,
Would it have been worth while,
After the sunsets and the dooryards and the sprinkled streets,
After the novels, after the teacups, after the skirts that trail along the floor—
And this, and so much more?—
It is impossible to say just what I mean!
But as if a magic lantern threw the nerves in patterns on a screen:
Would it have been worth while
If one, settling a pillow or throwing off a shawl,
And turning toward the window, should say:
               “That is not it at all,
               That is not what I meant, at all.”

No! I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was meant to be;
Am an attendant lord, one that will do
To swell a progress, start a scene or two,
Advise the prince; no doubt, an easy tool,
Deferential, glad to be of use,
Politic, cautious, and meticulous;
Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
At times, indeed, almost ridiculous—
Almost, at times, the Fool.

I grow old ... I grow old ...
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind?   Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.

I have seen them riding seaward on the waves
Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
When the wind blows the water white and black.
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown

Till human voices wake us, and we drown.

You are WAAAAAY overthinking this.

If they sign him, and it's likely they will, they've converted a 3rd rounder (what was it in another thread that sombody posted, 7% chance of making the NHL) into a guy w/ a 40% chance of being an effective 2nd liner. If it's a miss, he'll still likely have Holzinger's career (which is far better than the typical 3rd rounder).

Big whoop that Drouin's saga was messy. Still hating that Stamkos had the blood clot because Drouin probably doesn't see TB ever again if he doesn't have the clot & now it's full value to trade for him (probably full value + w/ Stamkos likely setting up shop elsewhere in 4 days). Would've loved to have that 'problem child' like ROR on this roster; Vesey too. ;)

You are WAAAAAY overthinking this.

If they sign him, and it's likely they will, they've converted a 3rd rounder (what was it in another thread that sombody posted, 7% chance of making the NHL) into a guy w/ a 40% chance of being an effective 2nd liner. If it's a miss, he'll still likely have Holzinger's career (which is far better than the typical 3rd rounder).

Big whoop that Drouin's saga was messy. Still hating that Stamkos had the blood clot because Drouin probably doesn't see TB ever again if he doesn't have the clot & now it's full value to trade for him (probably full value + w/ Stamkos likely setting up shop elsewhere in 4 days). Would've loved to have that 'problem child' like ROR on this roster; Vesey too. ;)

Am I ovethinking this?  Yeah, you're probably right.  

It's just a strange circumstance, and one that I don't think is anywhere near being settled, even if we do end up signing him.    

I'm only butting into this enough to set the record straight as I see it as a 43 yo who lived in habs/nord country. Quebec failed not because of anything else other than a sh!tty owner and player salary increase put a squeeze on them. The lockout was the final nail. The fan base was there and expanding every year. Lindros was a big baby IMO. He gave some lame excuses but the real reason he wouldn't sign is that il ne parle pas un mot de francais. And he is a big baby. There's that as well.

Also as far as I know Vesey is no Lindros so sign or not, it's all good.

I'm only butting into this enough to set the record straight as I see it as a 43 yo who lived in habs/nord country. Quebec failed not because of anything else other than a sh!tty owner and player salary increase put a squeeze on them. The lockout was the final nail. The fan base was there and expanding every year. Lindros was a big baby IMO. He gave some lame excuses but the real reason he wouldn't sign is that il ne parle pas un mot de francais. And he is a big baby. There's that as well. Also as far as I know Vesey is no Lindros so sign or not, it's all good.

Is Lindros a free agent?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.