Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

The Stanley Cup was downtown today. I saw tweets about it being at Pearl Street, so I went over there to see it ... And they were loading it up in the car. A couple teenage girls were taking selfies with it but they locked it up and closed the door before I could get out of my car. Oh well ... Someday.

They really just don't get that Fleury is a backup now on that team do they?

That OR they realize he has a NMC (its been reported he does, assume those reports are correct) that forces them to protect him rather than the kid they just won the SC w/ & realize how well it worked out in Vancouver when they told the higher priced guy that he could go pound salt. Keeping MAF happy (if even possible considering the way the playoffs played out) is not unwise.

If they keep him happy & don't do anything publicly to dis him, maybe he will actually work w/ them and allow the Pens to trade him. If he has the NMC, he holds all the cards. It's in their best interest to play nice for now - especially w/ no games to be played for 3-1/2 months.

Vancouver's a bad comparable because their original mistake was choosing Luongo over Schneider. Murray is no Schneider, but he's better than Fleury at this moment and probably will be in the coming years.

You have to get assets out of Fleury. Goalie trades at the deadline are so hard to pull off.

Vancouver's a bad comparable because their original mistake was choosing Luongo over Schneider. Murray is no Schneider, but he's better than Fleury at this moment and probably will be in the coming years.

You have to get assets out of Fleury. Goalie trades at the deadline are so hard to pull off.

Except they'd chosen Schneider & found out they couldn't move Luongo for a reasonable return due to his contract. They only moved Schneider after trying to move Roberto unsuccessfully. The original mistake was Luongo's contract.

Agree that they need to move Fleury for assets. If he does have the NMC, how would you go about doing that w/out stroking his ego?

No-movement clauses are a total sham. The only thing it actually does is allow the player to refuse to go to hellish situations around the league but there are enough decent situations with interest in almost any player with a NMC. It seems extremely rare to hear a player refused to waive their NMC.

No-movement clauses are a total sham. The only thing it actually does is allow the player to refuse to go to hellish situations around the league but there are enough decent situations with interest in almost any player with a NMC. It seems extremely rare to hear a player refused to waive their NMC.

How many of those players w/ waived NMC's were at the time playing w/ the talent that is in front of MAF & how many of those also knew that their direct competition for playing time was on a guaranteed ticket out of town if they were to hold their ground on not waiving the NMC?

Fluery holds every card in this deck if he does in fact have the NMC.

Would still like to hear (read) your answer to my prior Q.

I don't think the talent matters. It's an awkward situation all around when you're constantly in trade talks and your team approaches you about waiving it. It'd be my guess that teams are the ones that leak info on asking players to waive their NMCs because it puts more pressure on them to waive it.

He has two cups now but also likely realizes he's a backup full time now.

Plenty of talented teams have seen players dealt who had NMCs or NTCs.

It also appears he only has a modified NTC.

My best case scenarios are Murray gets hurt and Fluery steps in and they don't make the playoffs next year.

or

Toronto trades for him and starts him.

I'm happy with either.

Toronto made their move for a starter, any other goalie they try and get will be a backup to push out Bernier,and possibly be a 1b to Anderson

I don't think the talent matters. It's an awkward situation all around when you're constantly in trade talks and your team approaches you about waiving it. It'd be my guess that teams are the ones that leak info on asking players to waive their NMCs because it puts more pressure on them to waive it.

He has two cups now but also likely realizes he's a backup full time now.

Plenty of talented teams have seen players dealt who had NMCs or NTCs.

It also appears he only has a modified NTC.

No doubt they'd prefer to move him. But he's 31 & making $5.75 for the next 3 years. They need to find a team that he makes sense for & that makes sense for Fleury & will give back what makes sense for the Pens. Vancouver couldn't do that.

At present, all things equal, it would appear Murray has supplanted him. He played very well for a fraction of a single season. He wouldn't be the 1st rookie to have a great playoff & then falter in the future if it so happens. (He also could turn into another Roy and build off that 'out of nowhere' playoff success. We just don't know at present.) So, it isn't a lock that Murray is the future, & it is in the Pens best interest to play nice w/ Fleury.

No reason to believe they'll ask him to waive the NMC (if necessary) before they know they have a potential deal in place. Which is why it makes sense to tell the world he's the #1 guy.

Sadly (because I don't think Fleury is all that great) trading him would not be the best move for the Pens unless they could land another starting caliber guy in FA.

There's no guarantee that Murray will repeat what he did in the playoffs, and dumping MAF before they know Murray can continue playing as well as he did would put them on a spot where they could end up with no goalie

I see that Grant Clitsome retired earlier this month.   :(

I met him at a restaurant I used to manage over here a couple summers ago, came in to eat. Nice guy. Had a bit of a chat with him, seemed down to earth.

I shook Bogo's hand at a nightclub once, too. :p