Photography Thread

JJFIVEOH

Not trying to take away from all the great photos in the "sweat" thread, but I thought having a photography thread might be a cool idea. I enjoy taking pictures and usually make it a big part of my vacations, if not having planned around it. Maybe this thread could take off, maybe not. But lets see some of your pictures that you're proud of. I've got a bunch I can add, I'll start with one. Mods feel free to delete this if it might take away from the other thread, it's not the intention. 

jj62KH0h.jpg

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Oh man, I have so many, I'll now annoy you all by posting a billion things. 

This one was a stormy late fall day up at Sodus Point. 

kuMIjuz.jpg

I have a lot from out west. Our country is incredibly photogenic out there. Here's one from Utah. 

UEzZQeZ.jpg

Most of my favorite photos have stories behind them... I'm not sure how visually stunning a lot of them are. 

And JJ, that is seriously awesome. 

Edited by Josie914

Slightly different line here. All you photography buffs, what is a good telephoto / wide angle lens? My wife has a digital Nikon camera & takes a lot of photos of high school sports - hockey, lax, & soccer. (I can probably get more details on the camera particulars if it matters.)

Thanks in advance.

I love this. I can look at photos all day. Good stuff so far. I won't brag about my technical skills or camera, both of which are meh. But I think I have a good eye and am a good observer, especially of things on sort of the periphery of life.3194902175_806bdf3246_b.jpg2521446395_c1f146f02d_b.jpg

Slightly different line here. All you photography buffs, what is a good telephoto / wide angle lens? My wife has a digital Nikon camera & takes a lot of photos of high school sports - hockey, lax, & soccer. (I can probably get more details on the camera particulars if it matters.)

Thanks in advance.

I've got a Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 with image stabilization. It's nothing special but it works perfect for me. Not sure how much she wants to spend or how serious she is, but this is a great lens for a hobbyist. This is Nikon's version of that Canon. Not sure what professional think about image stabilization lenses, but it's definitely worth the extra money. Without the image stabilization, a tripod is almost required. Or something to rest the camera on. I'm no expert so there's probably better advice to be had. 

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/af-s-vr-zoom-nikkor-70-300mm-f%252f4.5-5.6g-if-ed.html

All those scenic shots are great, but PA I am very impressed with the photojournalism of the spider shot. Good eye, indeed.

I'll go with this Aegean Sea vista (no, that's not me in the shower)...

post-2708-0-33085900-1462423856_thumb.jpg

And another shoreline shot, this one half a world away from the first

post-2708-0-99072900-1462423919_thumb.jpg

Some great shots so far. Dudacek I like your beach walk shot, just enough 'blur' to highlight your subject.

Almost all of my lightning shots are planned, tripod set up, settings changed, location, angle, etc............. I was off shooting some lightning with a storm that really didn't move much, then all of a sudden it started to wrap around itself. I put everything in the truck and tried to beat it home. I eventually got right in front of it, and it was real active. I pulled over and only had a couple of minutes so no time to set the tripod up, no time to set up anything. All I could do was rest the camera on the back of the truck and press and hold the shutter open. Since my eye was on the camera, I couldn't take it off with risk of the camera moving. Basically I took both of these shots without ever seeing it, except for the flash I saw with my left eye and the immediate boom. Never had a clue how they turned out until I got home and uploaded them. Sometimes you just get lucky.

mbHr3qph.jpg

I2hiJ5rh.jpg

Crab didnt know yhis thread existed: So here are links to my photography websites: Political for one....

http://www.fischerwilliamsphoto.com/corporate/editorial

and travel for the other https://fischerwilliamsphoto.smugmug.com/Travel/Washington-DC/

Edited by North Buffalo

When I get good pics it is mostly because of blind squirrel-found nut syndrome.  Any pic I post here is taken with a cell phone cam.  I used to have a decent SLR film setup.  Always had an interest in photography.  Never really had any priority in the budget for it.  That film SLR didn't get used nearly as much as I wanted because of the development costs of snapping rolls and rolls of film.  I do make a conscious effort to compose my shots, instead of just snapping the shutter, but other than being aware of the rule of 1/3's, I am stumbling around.  I was astounded when I saw that concert pic on my PC.  Had no idea it would look so interesting (to me anyway).

Not bad and the new digital cameras are the reason I am no longer in the business. They created too many nuts and provided a wagon for the blind squirrels to sort thru. cant make a living at it. Neat pic though.

Edited by North Buffalo

All those scenic shots are great, but PA I am very impressed with the photojournalism of the spider shot. Good eye, indeed.

I'll go with this Aegean Sea vista (no, that's not me in the shower)...

attachicon.gifAegean bathed in beauty.jpg

And another shoreline shot, this one half a world away from the first

attachicon.gifBeach walk.jpg

I like how you've positioned your subjects. It's boring to always center what you want the viewer to notice.

I've got a Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 with image stabilization. It's nothing special but it works perfect for me. Not sure how much she wants to spend or how serious she is, but this is a great lens for a hobbyist. This is Nikon's version of that Canon. Not sure what professional think about image stabilization lenses, but it's definitely worth the extra money. Without the image stabilization, a tripod is almost required. Or something to rest the camera on. I'm no expert so there's probably better advice to be had. 

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/af-s-vr-zoom-nikkor-70-300mm-f%2f4.5-5.6g-if-ed.html

Thank you!

I can't figure out how to imbed images in this thing so I'll post links.

I actually have two photos on display tonight at a charity art auction (never have had photos printed or shared before so I'm a little nervous).

Here's one that's being shown: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131734086@N05/24229024153/in/album-72157663673575339/

My flickr account has a bunch of photos from trips to Chile & Tanzania I took within the past 18ish months.

I love going out with a camera and taking pictures, especially when traveling. I shoot with a Fuji X-T1 and have a couple different fuji lenses which I enjoy.

Do you all shoot in RAW? With the level of control you have in post processing I can't imagine myself not doing so. One of my favorite aspects of photography is making adjustments in lightroom to get the photo just how I'd seen it in real life.

I actually have two photos on display tonight at a charity art auction (never have had photos printed or shared before so I'm a little nervous).

Here's one that's being shown: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131734086@N05/24229024153/in/album-72157663673575339/

My flickr account has a bunch of photos from trips to Chile & Tanzania I took within the past 18ish months.

I love going out with a camera and taking pictures, especially when traveling. I shoot with a Fuji X-T1 and have a couple different fuji lenses which I enjoy.

Do you all shoot in RAW? With the level of control you have in post processing I can't imagine myself not doing so. One of my favorite aspects of photography is making adjustments in lightroom to get the photo just how I'd seen it in real life.

Dude. Badass albums. 

I like how you've positioned your subjects. It's boring to always center what you want the viewer to notice.

Rule of thirds!

I'll have to dig some more up, I have a few that I'm somewhat proud of. My wife is a lot better at this than I am; she's done shows and taught classes for kids a CEPA in Buffalo.

post-1315-0-27740600-1462458691_thumb.jpg

post-1315-0-83994100-1462458882_thumb.jpg

Edited by MattPie

Thank you!

IR lenses that are fast especially in low light, 2.8 lenses are in my bag 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200. I have 4.5-5.6 100-400 as well but only use it in daylight. Evenings not so much.

I only use RAW for still and landscape work high resjpeg for events, RAW takes up to much space and takes too long to post process all the event photos.

Here's one that's being shown: [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/131734086@N05/24229024153/in/album-72157663673575339/]https://www.flickr.com/photos/131734086@N05/24229024153/in/album-72157663673575339.

Nice work now I want to go to Chile. Edited by North Buffalo

This is so neat. Look at all you artistic hockey lovers :) 

I have yet to buy a nice camera. I try to grab weird angles and good lighting, usually snapping ten of the same thing and choosing from within. I know pretty much nothing about photography. All I know is how to light a subject to do a decent reference shoot for my illustration work.

A lot of my friends at RIT were photography majors, and a few of them are wildly successful photojournalists and fashion photogs now. I just know it's really difficult, editing is the paperwork of the art, and I have massive respect for anyone who does it. 

Until I have a buttload of money lying about to get a nice SLR, iphone pics it is! 

Keep posting- I love seeing where everyone's been and what they've seen. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.