DLDT: Draft Lottery Discussion Thread, 4-30-2016, 8:00pm est

WildCard

Wasn't one and a half years? You should probably re-check what they did last season.

They were definitely terrible last season, but they didn't trade away their "core" until this season.

…and Pat Kaleta at center.

Edited by SwampD

The Matthews prospect thread on hfboards is already overrun with comments laughing off the idea that Eichel is as good as Matthews  :rolleyes:

so who is our projected #8 pick?

That will be the exciting thing about the draft, I don't think it's possible to have a good idea who is available until we're on the clock.

I get the idea, but I just don't think it applies to picks like we think it does. McDavid? Yes. Eichel after a year? Seems so. But I don't remember anyone lining up to play with Hall, RNH, or even Ovechkin when they were fresh out. I don't think Stamkos is really all that lured by the pitch,

"Hey, we have a really really good prospect, #1 overall, and you can play with him."

"What if he flames out?"

"He won't"

"But, what if he does?"

"....I mean, he just won't."

This isn't McDavid, or Crosby, this is Matthews. Stamkos wants to win now and the allure of playing with a #1 overall pick isn't really all that alluring IMO. He has proven talent, line mates, and success in Tampa. What other motivation for an increase in production could he ask for? I get that Toronto doesn't look like a tire fire at this point, and that helps their pitch, but it would be the money that brings him there, or his hometown, and I don't see why they would be more likely to spend it now after getting Matthews. A talent that, if he is this highly regarded, shouldn't even necessitate Stamkos in the first place. 

Just to be clear, I don't think Matthews suddenly makes the Leafs Stamkos' likeliest choice. Only slightly improves their case.

Just to be clear, I don't think Matthews suddenly makes the Leafs Stamkos' likeliest choice. Only slightly improves their case.

I think Stamkos is more interested in Buffalo than Toronto (with no tangible evidence for that belief, just a feeling, because of its proximity to Toronto without the media, and where we are in the rebuild, ready to make the jump to playoffs) but that Toronto is more interested in Stamkos than GMTM is.

We all know the Leafs haven't even gotten to the finals since it was a 6-team league.  During the first half of this period, Harold Ballard was a very disruptive owner and successfully managed to thwart any opportunities the Leafs may have had to return to relevance.  He was famous for having a 100% no exceptions policy that the Leafs would never have a Russian in their organization.  Then he died in 1990 and the Leafs got a Russian player practically before rigor mortis even set in.  Thus was born the Curse of Harold Ballard.  Harold Ballard was one of the most miserable SOB's of all time, and not even death can stop his vengeful force of will.  

Never doubt the Curse of Harold Ballard.  It has served us well over the years, and it will continue to do so.  Of this I have no doubt!

No it wasn't better than ours. Unless you think Matthews/Marner > Reinhart/Eichel. They were certainly handsomely rewarded as you should be for a successful tank, but I like our results better.

You forgot Nylander

I have the impression that some think Toronto can pick up a ROR. I can't think of more that a handful of guys I would classify as ROR like. I think he's one piece they simple can't get. ROR Eichel is better than Matthews kadri.

Also I'm looking forward to shoving a puck down those smug Toronto fans throats.

ROR is no doubt a very hard piece to find and that is likely where we have the edge. Him, Reinhart, and Eichel make our forward group no doubt more intelligent on the ice than Toronto's 

Of the core pieces:

Risto > Rielly

Eichel > Matthews

Reinhart > Nylander

O'Reilly > Marner

Subject to change, of course, but I like our group more both now and going forward.

Where it gets interesting is the secondary pieces, which I think you could argue favors them. Gardiner/Kadri/JVR vs. Bogo/Larsson-Girgensons/Kane.

Complete and utter nonsense.

Come on True, comparing ROR to Nylander isn't fair  :lol:

Eichel > Matthews

ROR > Nylander

Reinhart ??? Marner

Risto ???? Reilly 

The Matthews prospect thread on hfboards is already overrun with comments laughing off the idea that Eichel is as good as Matthews  :rolleyes:

That will be the exciting thing about the draft, I don't think it's possible to have a good idea who is available until we're on the clock.

I really don't get it. At least we aren't delusional in thinking the gap is that far apart. But everything there is points to Eichel > Matthews, other than Matthews USA Junior stats. 

Fair enough. And..

I think Stamkos is more interested in Buffalo than Toronto (with no tangible evidence for that belief, just a feeling, because of its proximity to Toronto without the media, and where we are in the rebuild, ready to make the jump to playoffs) but that Toronto is more interested in Stamkos than GMTM is.

....this. If there is an allure for Stamkos to play with a better player, ROR, Reinhart, and Eichel provide that much more so than Matthews, Nylander, and Marner, because of their progress in their development; our guys have already had their rookie year, and ROR is an All Star 2-way forward. 

I don't see how anyone over 14 years old can't have some level of cynicism about everything in life. 

"Cynicism" is not the same as "paranoid and delusional."

Much hilarity here . Many of you good folks consider some friends . To the ones wishing personal injury what total classless weenies you are

Good to see you sir! 

I don't think anyone really wishes anyone any real injury -- just a bit of over-the-top venting, I'm guessing.

My 2 cents:  the Leafs are at long last building a real team.  I will not be a-tall surprised if they get Stamkos. 

And I kinda hope they do, if the Sabres don't get him.  I want the Sabres and Toronto both to be really good for a long time and have one epic battle after another, in both the regular season and the playoffs.

This is a more appropriate comparison 

The Leafs may have just landed their first generational superstar – ever. Matthews may not quite be Connor McDavid but deserves mention alongside Jack Eichel and perhaps John Tavares as the best prospects of the past decade. Matthews is a big, strong, confident pivot blessed with an endless motor and electric scoring ability. He missed about a quarter of the Swiss League’s season and still finished among the leaders in goals and points. All that from a teenager playing on a men’s pro circuit.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/lottery-winners-auston-matthews-is-the-superstar-maple-leafs-have-lacked-for-99-years/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.