2016 First Round of Playoffs Thread

Eleven

ha!

Yeah, no clue if i got that one right or not.

As I watch my silly doodles get retweeted by San Jose Sharks fans and liked by the official team itself, I have decided to stop hating hashtags when trying to shamelessly promote my crap. That stuff actually sometimes works. Wow. I'm kind of amazed. And I really hate hashtags.

Sell out, with me, oh yeah, sell out, with me tonight....

Stop it. You're not selling out.

Stop it. You're not selling out.

Selling out. 

Psssh.

I remember when I used to use that term, with all sincerity and gravity.

I liked an interview with one of the dudes from Metallica, years ago. The drummer with the funny name? Lars? Anyway, he was talking to MTV (remember when they covered music?), and he was talking about the claims from certain people that they'd "sold out." And his (slightly coked out) response was something like, "Yeah, that's right. We sell out. We sell out everywhere we go. We're selling out in Detroit. And then we're selling out in Chicago. And we're selling out in St. Louis. ...."

Something about it resonated with me. I don't begrudge artists one bit when they monetize their creations, in whatever way they deem fit. I just determine for myself whether I like it or not.

Selling out. 

Psssh.

I liked an interview with one of the dudes from Metallica, years ago. The drummer with the funny name? Lars? Anyway, he was talking to MTV (remember when they covered music?), and he was talking about the claims from certain people that they'd "sold out." And his (slightly coked out) response was something like, "Yeah, that's right. We sell out. We sell out everywhere we go. We're selling out in Detroit. And then we're selling out in Chicago. And we're selling out in St. Louis. ...."

Something about it resonated with me. I don't begrudge artists one bit when they monetize their creations, in whatever way they deem fit. I just determine for myself whether I like it or not.

You should check out the song she was quoting (Sell Out from Reel Big Fish), that's the central theme. People get invested in things and when the creators find a way to retire on their hard work everyone gets mad. It happened recently (kind of) with Revzilla, a Philly-based motorcycle accessories place. They entered an agreement with another place for mega-bucks, and tons of people are "I'll never shop there again!". I don't get it, if I could sell something right now and retire? I'm on it in a heartbeat.

You should check out the song she was quoting (Sell Out from Reel Big Fish), that's the central theme. People get invested in things and when the creators find a way to retire on their hard work everyone gets mad. It happened recently (kind of) with Revzilla, a Philly-based motorcycle accessories place. They entered an agreement with another place for mega-bucks, and tons of people are "I'll never shop there again!". I don't get it, if I could sell something right now and retire? I'm on it in a heartbeat.

Ah, sorry for missing the reference.

Anyhoo. Life is funny that way. I know that I used to harbour those "funkin' SELL OUT" feelings. Like, I felt those feelings hard. I meant it. And I wasn't a kid -- I was well into my 20s.

Not only do I not feel that way anymore (there's a little tiny bit of residual regret in there when something or someone becomes big and monetized), I almost can't even articulate why I used to feel that way, and why others might feel that way nowadays. As if it was an entirely different person who used to accuse others of selling out. I guess I was -- a different person at that time.

And to your point: Abso-freakin-lutely. I think maybe the change is wrought from having experience with how hard life is, can be -- how difficult it is, can be to make a living and make your way. That level of difficulty is that much higher if you're a creative type. So if a creative type finds and chooses a path to financial remuneration, security? Git it, I say.

Selling out. 

Psssh.

While I agree, Lars is still a douche.

I wish Josie the career and work life that I think she wants. Illustrating in and around the sport of hockey. It's funny sometimes. People get 99.99% of the way to what they want and then they pull back or give up, thinking they're only 10% of the way there. Josie is so close. If some hashtags or @thisorthats get her over the top, who cares!

Edited by PASabreFan

I wish Josie the career and work life that I think she wants. Illustrating in and around the sport of hockey. It's funny sometimes. People get 99.99% of the way to what they want and then they pull back or give up, thinking they're only 10% of the way there. Josie is so close. If some hashtags or @thisorthats get her over the top, who cares!

:worthy: 

We have some friends who have done work in the sports world and quite frankly they suck at art. But because they're aggressive and have made the right connections, they get the work. I think Josie is close to breaking through, but she just needs to keep putting her work out there for people to see and share. The internet is a great tool for getting easy exposure, but it's also the kind of place where stuff disappears into the void if you don't keep pumping out content. 

Keep making content! Even if it's just little doodles. That stuff will get seen.  :flirt:

They are not dammit!

I hope.

For my bracket, I hope they do. For my soul, I hope they beat the Kings. ###### I hate that franchise 

Filly PA announcer lecturing the fans as if they were schoolchildren:  https://twitter.com/Cindy610/status/722239047633080320

That was great  :lol:

Well that's just ridiculous. We all know Philly fans never went to school.

Annnnndddd this was better  :lol:  :lol:

Some thoughts about the teams that did not make the playoffs and comparisons to the teams that did. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/goes-brown-finding-hope-years-playoff-outcasts/

You might enjoy the Sabres comparison. 

Carolina Hurricanes => the Wild. Those poor bastards

Yeah, I'm alright with that comparison

Edited by WildCard

Y'all are sweet. Thanks for the kind words. I am trying to change my stars, as they say in a Knight's Tale. I really want to do this sports stuff. I just tend to rankle at the incredible volumes of those pesky hashtags some of the other people i know use on every single picture, be it related to their art or not. But I get it now- they're cultivating a following. So i guess now I shall become one of them. Seemed to work pretty well last night with the San Jose stuff- I added Larkin and Athanasiou to my little Zetterberg/Datsyuk thing. I hope that goes somewhere. I can't in good conscience tell my students to take risks and do awesome and then sit on my butt and wallow in grief myself.

And unrelated to my egotistical pandering- I kinda feel like laughing at and feeling sorry for my Flyers fan coworker. As he put it: My friends and I are just hockey fans who happen to be from Philly. Jesus christ these douchenozzles give the rest of us a bad name. 
What a mess! 

Edited by Josie914

Some thoughts about the teams that did not make the playoffs and comparisons to the teams that did. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/goes-brown-finding-hope-years-playoff-outcasts/

You might enjoy the Sabres comparison. 

I love that of all the replays they could have used, they chose an Eichel pass.

Yeah, here's more Wings. I won't be home until around midnight tonight if I'm lucky, but hopefully tomorrow I can tackle some other teams. These are fun, they seem to be more accessible. and GOOD LORD ATHANASIOU HAS EYEBROWS. homeboy don't need no sunglasses with those fuzzy awnings

QNUrWaD.jpg

I'm enjoying the art + 1st Round thing we've got going on here. Thank you Josie

Round 2, I expect songs, songs about hockey teams

This board has been known to turn out some tunes..... 

I agree. Bring it. I'll accept limericks. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.