2016 First Round of Playoffs Thread

Eleven

So bogus PP for Sharks earlier (which is currently the difference) then a no call when Brown is clearly tripped behind the net in the dying minutes. The officiating this playoffs is very much leaving something to be desired.

Did you really expect something to change just because it's the postseason?

It's quite apparent which team Napoleon wants to win in this Panthers game tonight.

Bettman?

I know these kinds of comments are usually made in half-jest. Usually. I also suspect a good percentage of fans actually believe the league is manipulating things behind the scenes to ensure a desired result. (Hell, a higher-up in the Sabres, their legal counsel Bob Swados, came very close in his book to making the allegation about the 99 series.) How anyone can believe that and, knowing the league is not cheating for the Sabres, continue to be a fan of what is in effect a WWF operation?

Edited by PASabreFan

Bettman?

I know these kinds of comments are usually made in half-jest. Usually. I also suspect a good percentage of fans actually believe the league is manipulating things behind the scenes to ensure a desired result. (Hell, a higher-up in the Sabres, their legal counsel Bob Swados, came very close in his book to making the allegation about the 99 series.) How anyone can believe that and, knowing the league is not cheating for the Sabres, continue to be a fan of what is in effect a WWF operation?

I tend to blame incompetence rather than malice.

The whole review/challenge thing last night in Brooklyn kind of said it all. Poor communication with the fans and media. Nobody knew what was going on. Not to mention they probably blew the call. It wasn't kicked in, and the official explanation, that the ref ruled that the Panther pushed the goalie in along with the puck, seems off. Then they alllowed Florida to challenge a call that's not challengeable. Just a Cal Cluster###### all around.

At 10:45 of the second period in the Panthers/Islanders game, the Situation Room initiated a video review to further examine a play at the New York net. The referee informed the Situation Room that Islanders goaltender Thomas Greiss made the initial save before Florida forward Jonathan Huberdeau pushed him across the goal line together with the puck. According to Rule 69.7, "In the event that a goalkeeper has been pushed into the net together with the puck by an attacking player after making a stop, the goal will be disallowed." This is not a reviewable play therefore the referee's call on the ice stands - no penalty and no goal Florida.

https://www.nhl.com/news/florida-panthers-new-york-islanders-video-review/c-280401160?tid=277729160

Edited by PASabreFan

not in Canada anymore. Canadian viewing of the playoffs is down 61% I heard.

Be interesting to see how the draft lottery plays out... like when all the Canada teams win it.

Yea, that's precisely what I was hinting at. It makes sense for Canadian viewership to be down, but man, that seems like an awfully steep drop-off.

Just noticed a second entry in the NHL's Situation Room blog.

At 10:45 of the second period in the Panthers/Islanders game, Florida requested a Coach's Challenge to review the "Interference on the Goalkeeper" decision that resulted in a "no goal" call.

So which was it?

Are refs instructed not to make a clear announcement of their call on the ice so Toronto and the league can make something up later?

Bettman?

At the moment, playoff hockey is the only hockey we have... so we take what we can get, no??

The NHL qua NHL ... has, like, NO fans. At all.

The various teams that belong to the NHL have plenty of fans.

And millions of people love The Stanley Cup.

Is that what you were getting at?

Yup. The NHL has markets and fans in/from those markets, but not much else. The fact that Canadian ratings are down so drastically without a team in the playoffs just hammers that home.

Yup. The NHL has markets and fans in/from those markets, but not much else. The fact that Canadian ratings are down so drastically without a team in the playoffs just hammers that home.

Well, wait a second. I'm not entirely sure about that. The Buffalo market's watching these games in significant numbers, yes? 

I'm not saying that makes them (us) fans of the NHL.

Well, wait a second. I'm not entirely sure about that. The Buffalo market's watching these games in significant numbers, yes? 

I'm not saying that makes them (us) fans of the NHL.

I'm just going to throw this out there, but I think Canadians have a higher standard of the product on the ice than Americans do. If we're this pissed about it, how do you think they feel?

I try to do the same, but I find it hard to believe a group of trained professionals can be that incompetent.

Remember that (unless appearances are different than reality), most of the "trained professionals" are former players so we're talking high school and knowing how to pretend to not have a concussion so you don't get benched.

All this talk about the NHL making the product better. Well of course they could, but why bother? Do you think McDonald's execs are sitting around saying, "About this Big Mac. It could be a better burger, ya know." Bad analogy, maybe.

It's the same reason the NFL puts out the shittiest product imaginable and rake in billions every year. They're so entrenched nothing can compete with them

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.