World Cup 2016

MODO Hockey

Ideally, don't we want the play funnelled through him, anyways? He'll be the best player on his line and wants to be carrying the puck.

Yes indeed. I just think his line will be harder to defend once he improves his play off the puck...and secondarily, between injuries and special circumstances, he is going to have to play with puck-dominant players from time to time--I'd like him to be able to do so without it dragging down his individual play.

I have liked Matthews' game a lot. I think he is of a same level as Jack.

But don't underestimate the space McDavid creates, and the burdens taking on the defensive and passing responsibilities will create when he's in the NHL.

Definitely. If you think I'm ballwashing Matthews, you should check out the Leafs forum, or the general forum, over on hfboards. Try to skip what they say about Jack, they think he's the worst player in the world. They're going to get really upset when Matthews hits his first cold streak and likely doesn't win the Calder. (If McDavid and Crosby don't have that trophy, any first overall pick can miss out)

Yes indeed. I just think his line will be harder to defend once he improves his play off the puck...and secondarily, between injuries and special circumstances, he is going to have to play with puck-dominant players from time to time--I'd like him to be able to do so without it dragging down his individual play.

Good point. I'm sure he'll get there. Will improve with reps, as someone said.

Definitely. If you think I'm ballwashing Matthews, you should check out the Leafs forum, or the general forum, over on hfboards. Try to skip what they say about Jack, they think he's the worst player in the world. They're going to get really upset when Matthews hits his first cold streak and likely doesn't win the Calder. (If McDavid and Crosby don't have that trophy, any first overall pick can miss out)

Apologies for the stereotyping, but those boards seem to mostly be a schoolyard full of 15-year-old fans completely lacking the ability to understand nuance. I'm not sure what they prefer more: fellating their team's prospects, or baiting the fans of other franchises.

Apologies for the stereotyping, but those boards seem to mostly be a schoolyard full of 15-year-old fans completely lacking the ability to understand nuance. I'm not sure what they prefer more: fellating their team's prospects, or baiting the fans of other franchises.

Very true. I go there because it's a tremendous source of links/pictures/videos/news that may have escaped this board's most dedicated posters on days that they're busy. I don't post more than once a week or so because of what you mention. 

This Matthews vs Eichel argument is interesting, but maybe missing the broader point.   Jack is our player and he fits here like a glove.  I've watched him play in the tourney and pre-tourney games and this last one was his best.  I love his hard work on both sides of the ice and don't think McDavid or Matthews will ever play that complete a game.  Our Jack is Modano and IMHO an improved version of Toews.  Think ROR with higher upside scoring in a year or two and look what ROR is doing in the World Cup.  If Jack's peek is scoring 35 goals adds 40 assists and leads us to two Cups who cares what Matthews and McDavid develop into except during these type of events.  How great will it be to have two top lines that can score 70-75 goals while playing keep away from the opposition?    

I look at our forward core of Jack, Sam, ROR, Okposo and soon Nylander and see the Blackhawks from a few years ago.  Now if we can get McCabe and Risto to become what Keith and Seabrook are and we'll really have something.

Also the Finns hate the Russians with a passion.  They will give it their all to beat them.  They will love ruining another big event for the Russians.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This Matthews vs Eichel argument is interesting, but maybe missing the broader point.   Jack is our player and he fits here like a glove.  I've watched him play in the tourney and pre-tourney games and this last one was his best.  I love his hard work on both sides of the ice and don't think McDavid or Matthews will ever play that complete a game.  Our Jack is Modano and IMHO an improved version of Toews.  Think ROR with higher upside scoring in a year or two and look what ROR is doing in the World Cup.  If Jack's peek is scoring 35 goals adds 40 assists and leads us to two Cups who cares what Matthews and McDavid develop into except during these type of events.  How great will it be to have two top lines that can score 70-75 goals while playing keep away from the opposition?    

I look at our forward core of Jack, Sam, ROR, Okposo and soon Nylander and see the Blackhawks from a few years ago.  Now if we can get McCabe and Risto to become what Keith and Seabrook are and we'll really have something.

Also the Finns hate the Russians with a passion.  They will give it their all to beat them.  They will love ruining another big event for the Russians.

Cheers! :beer:

Absolutely, they probably aren't going to win, but they certainly won't lie down because they have nothing to play for.

Reading these Dean Lombardi quotes is killing me. Saying there was too much focus on Canada, that trying to match skill wasn't going to work so the went for something else that made them worse against every other team. Here's the thing: leaving some of the best players at home also made them worse against Canada. You're already overmatched against Canada, and willingly making your team less skilled only makes this worse. Any gain you get from grit (which, empirically, is zero) is completely outweighed by the increase in the skill gap. When in the hell are these hockey dinosaurs going to understand this? Even in defeat, even in embarrassment, there's still no break with the dinosaur mentality.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Reading these Dean Lombardi quotes is killing me. Saying there was too much focus on Canada, that trying to match skill wasn't going to work so the went for something else that made them worse against every other team. Here's the thing: leaving some of the best players at home also made them worse against Canada. You're already overmatched against Canada, and willingly making your team less skilled only makes this worse. Any gain you get from grit (which, empirically, is zero) is completely outweighed by the increase in the skill gap. When in the hell are these hockey dinosaurs going to understand this? Even in defeat, even in embarrassment, there's still no break with the dinosaur mentality.

They aren't going to understand. You can just fire them or expect the same thing next international tourney. 

They aren't going to understand. You can just fire them or expect the same thing next international tourney. 

Grit can work in the NHL playoffs, but doesn't work in a short tournament like this. Team USA reminds me of a startup a friend of mine worked at a bunch of year ago. They hit the lotto on a bunch of young all-star computer guys that worked cheap since they were just out of college. Instead of seeing this as "hire good people", the lesson they learned was, "we can hire cheap college kids as other leave". Last I heard the company wasn't doing so well. The parallel here? Ryan Miller takes Team USA to the Silver medal in 2010 and suddenly a scrappy bunch of kids and a few wily vets is a team model, rather than bring the best players that work together.

Edited by MattPie

I have liked Matthews' game a lot. I think he is of a same level as Jack.

But don't underestimate the space McDavid creates, and the burdens taking on the defensive and passing responsibilities will create when he's in the NHL.

Abso-freakin'-lutely.  He is fantastic, and is going to make his linemates a ton of money.

Grit can work in the NHL playoffs, but doesn't work in a short tournament like this. Team USA reminds me of a startup a friend of mine worked at a bunch of year ago. They hit the lotto on a bunch of young all-star computer guys that worked cheap since they were just out of college. Instead of seeing this as "hire good people", the lesson they learned was, "we can hire cheap college kids as other leave". Last I heard the company wasn't doing so well. The parallel here? Ryan Miller takes Team USA to the Silver medal in 2010 and suddenly a scrappy bunch of kids and a few wily vets is a team model, rather than bring the best players that work together.

It's kinda like how everyone now wants to replicate the Chicago model for building a cup contender etc. People see what works that one time and then don't evaluate things to make sure that is what is work in the future. Program Eval. I should do that for USA Hockey...

I think it was in the second period I saw the US was outhitting Canada something like 28 - 8 and right above it the score read 4 -1 Canada.  Grit aint gonna cut it.

I totally agree with the underlined sentiment. Right on. 

Still don't get the bolded though, with regards to Matthews. He looks like an incredible defensive talent for his age. 

Yeah - I want to know that the coaches knew and elected not to tell the players. Otherwise - yeesh.

In other news, Russia and Finland scoreless with the 2nd period underway. SOGs appear tied.

damn - just like that. russia scores.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.